Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Duck a l'orange with crisp roast potatoes

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
edited November 2020 in Poultry
This was requested last night by @texaswig @bubbajack and possibly @lousubcap. It's not something I cook in the Egg, I've tried it and the outcome wasn't as good as in a fan oven (convection oven). I think it's the air circulation in the oven that helps to dry out the skin. I could take the approach @smak used with his awesome Peking Duck and dry it in front of a fan for several hours ... but it works well in the oven, might as well use that. There are other tools in our cooking arsenal, @SciAggie and his outside kitchen are a testament to that.

This is the recipe for the duck a l'orange and roast potatoes when using an oven for both:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/05/21/spicing-up-duck-a-lorange/

Since posting this recipe back in 2016, I now cook the roast potatoes in a MMX using cast iron at 220C/425F. Same process as above just make sure that the MMX is up to temp in time, I normally get it fired up 10 mins in advance of boiling the potatoes.

To bring it alive, some pictures. Firstly, closing the duck up with a skewer after the orange, ginger and star anise are inside:

Lifting up the duck so I can decant off the fat for roast potatoes:

Decanting potatoes into a roasting pan with the awesome duck fat:

Carving the duck:

Served with the orange sauce:

Thanks for looking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Amazing and looks even better than the description early this AM.  Great cook right there.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Looks fantastic, your plated just wow!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • My goodness, that looks tremendous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Very cool.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Damn that looks good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds and looks delicious.  Apropos for some reason I just can't put my larger than normal finger on....
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I thought the food in England wasn't supposed to be very good.  Clearly your kitchen is the exception.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    I thought the food in England wasn't supposed to be very good.  Clearly your kitchen is the exception.
    Cheers ... @CPFC1905 take note. :D

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Foghorn said:
    Cheers ... @CPFC1905 take note. :D
    Ha!  Don’t believe the hype but @Stormbringer does take it to another level amongst us mere mortals.  
    Cook’s Digest is a feast for the eyes.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    This sounds like a great recipe for my wood oven. It is very much a convection oven when the door is open. It should crisp the skin nicely. 
    I’ll put this recipe on the to-do list. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @Stormbringer dang dude! That's some nice work right there. Good job. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • @SciAggie does the oven suffer from much heat loss when the door is open? I'd really like to see pics of the finished dish if you do make it.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SciAggie does the oven suffer from much heat loss when the door is open? I'd really like to see pics of the finished dish if you do make it.
    I cook with the door open 95% of the time. When I get a chance to try this I’ll certainly post the cook. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Absolute winner
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    How did  I miss this?? I'd tuck into that right quick. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TheToast said:
    Absolute winner
    Cheers bud. If you can source them, the Madgett's Farm ducks are amazing for this dish. That's what is pictured above.