Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: How many states in the USA have you visited?

Options
124»

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I’ve been in -55f as well. It’s a dry cold.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Ran into temps like that one time in ND. Believe ambient was around -35-40 and with windchill it was -60 something. 

Guy at the airport threw a cup of hot water into the air and it instantly turned to powder.  

While an interesting science experiment on sublimation, it reminded me why I don’t live in a climate like that one. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    It gets cold no doubt, but my family is known for being stupid about the cold, as we are into skiing, snowboarding, and other winter activities outdoors. I think the coldest we have been was -14C in Norway.

Odd as it may seem, the older I get, the less enthusiastic I get for hot humid weather.
    The nice thing about Montana is, although it gets cold, it can then be in the 40's the next week; you get a break from it.  
    I was stationed at Grand Forks ND for three years, and there was a 2-mo. period where it never got above -20F, at all.  Coldest windchill I saw there was -75, they wouldn't even let the missileers come back in after their 24-hour rotations, they stayed on duty for 2 straight days.  No maintenance.  
    And yet I spent more time outdoors in the wintertime, as the mosquitoes were too bad in the summer.  Miserable place.  
    As someone observed before, the Dakotas are on most people’s unvisited states list.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:
    It gets cold no doubt, but my family is known for being stupid about the cold, as we are into skiing, snowboarding, and other winter activities outdoors. I think the coldest we have been was -14C in Norway.

Odd as it may seem, the older I get, the less enthusiastic I get for hot humid weather.
    The nice thing about Montana is, although it gets cold, it can then be in the 40's the next week; you get a break from it.  
    I was stationed at Grand Forks ND for three years, and there was a 2-mo. period where it never got above -20F, at all.  Coldest windchill I saw there was -75, they wouldn't even let the missileers come back in after their 24-hour rotations, they stayed on duty for 2 straight days.  No maintenance.  
    And yet I spent more time outdoors in the wintertime, as the mosquitoes were too bad in the summer.  Miserable place.  
    As someone observed before, the Dakotas are on most people’s unvisited states list.
    Well that and there's not a whole lot to see in either of them.  Mt Rushmore in SD is probably one of the main things people look to see there, but... aside from that?    I'm not sure there's really anything comparable in North Dakota.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Botch said:I was stationed at Grand Forks ND for three years
    Look on the bright side: it could have been Minot!  :open_mouth:

Minot doesn't have the mosquitoes (although its a lot further from northern MN, where I spent many happy weekends).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    47 or 48. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    Montana and Alaska are the only two I haven’t visited.  I will be rectifying that at some point.
    One of the places we are considering for retirement is southwest Montana close to Yellowstone. You will love it there. Spent two weeks with an old friend who worked for public health after his time in the service. He was a dentist on an Native American reservation, in Eastern Montana, in a town called Wolfe Point.

I have been back on several occasions, having made friends while there. So much to see and it is all beautiful. Followed the L&C trail across the state as we went stopping at all the national parks and forests, and BLM areas. If you are into all outdoor activities, this is one of the best places on earth.
    An old friend just moved to Pine Creek, Montana.  Photos of views from her front porch are just amazing.  I asked her to let me know how she feels about it come February.

i have slept overnight on a wind swept ice covered lake overnight down to -10 f without a tent, just a blue tarp and an llbean bag. -20 to -40f is a whole other world, touch something metal and its instant frost bite, i still cant feel one side of my index finger from touching the key bezel in that hummer 3 years ago.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    LL Bean rules. I had a -20 bag from them I sold going to a feather lite duo. I wish I kept the LL Bean. I still have one of their oldest Dome tents, and use it from time to time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    edited November 2020
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    LL Bean rules. I had a -20 bag from them I sold going to a feather lite duo. I wish I kept the LL Bean. I still have one of their oldest Dome tents, and use it from time to time.

my cold weather bean bag is going on thirty something years now, still gets used up near conway nh at a friends cabin. i usually sleep out in the screen porch to get away from the noise in the winter ;)  after returning my old dome tent twice, i got an early llbean north face climbing jacket that later was turned in for a flyrod which was later turned in for another replacement rod.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I am missing a good chunk (from East-ish -> West-ish):
    RI, VT, WV
    KY, IN, IL, IA, WI, MN, MO
    KS, NE, SD
    MT, ID, NV, OR, WA
    AK

I've been to more foreign countries (for work) than I have remaining states to hit, however there are only a couple of these states I really have interest in going out of my way to see.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:

Theodore Roosevelt NP not worth visiting? It was one of our potential destinations on a road trip loop in the future ... whenever that can get back on track.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• Legume
    Options
    @Stormbringer I don’t know, I’ve never been and suspect it’s not well known.
  • Legume
    Options
    Ok, just looked it up, now I want to go.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Stormbringer said:
    Theodore Roosevelt NP not worth visiting? It was one of our potential destinations on a road trip loop in the future ... whenever that can get back on track. 
    I visited TR often when I was stationed at Grand Forks.  One of the things I liked about it was you can be alone most of the time, even on national holidays.  I love the place.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• YukonRon
    Options
    Botch said:
    Stormbringer said:
    I visited TR often when I was stationed at Grand Forks.  One of the things I liked about it was you can be alone most of the time, even on national holidays.  I love the place.  
    Last time I was there we purposely went off trail, and kept tripping over pieces of petrified wood. Very cool place, beautiful, and they have pulled some full sized species of paleocene (55m) champsosaurus from one of the 200 known fossil beds located in that park.

I would go back in a heart beat.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Botch said:
    Stormbringer said:

That's the problem with NP's like Grand Canyon and Shenandoah - nobody goes to them anymore cuz they're always just too crowded.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Stormbringer said:

That's the problem with NP's like Grand Canyon and Shenandoah - nobody goes to them anymore cuz they're always just too crowded.

Long live Yogi.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm done once I get to 57
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • AprèsSki
    Options

Theodore Roosevelt NP not worth visiting? 
    It wouldn't be a NP in any state west of ND. Some historical significance but not NP worthy IMHO. I am glad that work took me close by, would have been very upset if I had made a special trip to see it.

If you are close, spend your time in Custer SP in SD now that is worth the trip.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    Legume said:
    Glad to be of service, sir. :)
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Legume
    Options
    Legume said:
    Looking at Custer SP now as well.  The list of national parks to visit or revisit from trips in my youth is long.  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Botch said:
    Stormbringer said:
    We were supposed to go this past summer as part of our road trip, but they had a road wash out and the campground in the park we were going to stay at closed for the season.  Ended up rerouting through SW Colorado and UT instead.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Looking at Custer SP now as well.  The list of national parks to visit or revisit from trips in my youth is long.  
    Custer SP looks really good. For some reason that I don't know, it's very cheap for us to fly in and out of Denver from the UK. A loop up through the Dakatos and Nebraska is looking promising. Myself and Mrs. Stormbringer have spent some of lockdown 1.0 and 2.0 planning USA roadtrips in advance.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Geophysics was my other major in college. TR was an awesome visit for nerds like me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    I have done all my travelling by motorcycle and have ridden to all continental (49) states, all provinces in Canada except Nunavut (no road goes to get there), Mexico and Central America. I guess that is why I haven't been grilling much in the last 5 years.....

• ilooklikeelvis
    Options
    I've been to 21 states I think, and 13 countries (have lived in 3: US, UK and Malta). And a handful of islands in the Caribbean.

I'm missing a lot of states in the middle of the country, and have never been to Asia.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    47 for me. I am missing IN, KY and MI. 

Gave this shirt to my wife when we landed in state #50 and we spent a week there. She wanted to do 50 by 50 and we got it done.  

When people ask her what the next goal was, the first time I heard her reply,  I almost fell over.
    ”Well, 50 states by 50 is done. Now it is 100 countries by 100.” So far we are at 28 I think. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.