Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skirt steak

CPARKTX2
CPARKTX2 Posts: 222
edited October 2020 in EggHead Forum
After I started following some of @The Cen-Tex Smoker suggestions for skirt steak, it has become one of my steak steaks. So easy and good, and readily adaptable with a simple board sauce or dipping sauce. The kids scarf it up too. 

Comments

• We made some skirt tacos last night. That is some amazing beef. Love that stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    That looks so good, thanks for sharing.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Obligatory reference to my favorite skirt steak recipe:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213077/carne-asada-from-serious-eats-lots-of-photos

I've since started using SRF Black Skirt Steak.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  rubbing it in just because you can  B)  I would as well if given the chance!  Sounds like you are getting close to jumping into the caveman pool.  Go for it!  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  rubbing it in just because you can  B)  I would as well if given the chance!  Sounds like you are getting close to jumping into the caveman pool.  Go for it!  =)
    I cook caveman a bit when I think it will deliver what I’m after.  I actually prefer a little bit of air between the coal bed and the food but I did a nice caveman ribeye cook while camping and fishing 2 weekends ago. Results were excellent. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Got one marinating now.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    Got one marinating now.

That looks awesome! 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I use Village Idiot's marinade recipe for his Flanken Ribs on outside skirt steaks and it's great.
    Ingredients
    5 pounds Skirt steak
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup mirin (rice wine)
    1 small onion, peeled and finely grated
    1 small Asian pear, peeled and finely grated
    4 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 green onions, thinly sliced (optional)
    Preparation:
    Directions
    Sprinkle brown sugar over beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade. In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag (you may need 2). Add marinade, press out excess air from bags, and seal. Turn bag over several times to ensure beef is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • This is the only acceptable way for me to be chasing skirt these days.  It's my 2nd favorite cut, behind only rib eye cap. 

You all are killing me with the pix and recipes.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker, you've once again raised the bar well above my ability to do anything other than drool in envy.  Curious about your prep method, as I typically only rub a bit of Montreal on it bc it's just so damn flavorful I hate to mask the beefy richness.   
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • This is the only acceptable way for me to be chasing skirt these days.  It's my 2nd favorite cut, behind only rib eye cap. 

You all are killing me with the pix and recipes.  @The Cen-Tex Smoker, you've once again raised the bar well above my ability to do anything other than drool in envy.  Curious about your prep method, as I typically only rub a bit of Montreal on it bc it's just so damn flavorful I hate to mask the beefy richness.   
    90% of the time, especially with skirt this good, I go with salt only. I do use board sauces quite a bit like chimichurri or some kind of herby vinaigrette but I like to keep it pretty simple with good beef. Sometimes I do Stubbs beef marinade for tacos but usually just salt on Wagyu. 
  • Would you please remind me again, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what your source is for this Waygu skirt steak?  We finally got our hands on some Waygu skirt from the Dallas area, but they only hand-deliver in that area, no shipping. The quality blew our minds!  They had inside and outside skirt. Which are you using?  We felt like once you're in the Waygu ballpark, inside or out isn't as critical.

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Would you please remind me again, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, what your source is for this Waygu skirt steak?  We finally got our hands on some Waygu skirt from the Dallas area, but they only hand-deliver in that area, no shipping. The quality blew our minds!  They had inside and outside skirt. Which are you using?  We felt like once you're in the Waygu ballpark, inside or out isn't as critical.

Cpartx has a friend who works for Ben e kieth food distributor. They distribute Heartbrand Akaushi beef which is excellent. Mark (cparktx) is able to buy from him directly and has been kind enough to let me tag along a few times. 

Cpartx has a friend who works for Ben e kieth food distributor. They distribute Heartbrand Akaushi beef which is excellent. Mark (cparktx) is able to buy from him directly and has been kind enough to let me tag along a few times. 
    Lakeway HEB has really stepped up their Wagyu game too. The have skirt most of the time along with tri-tip and all the usual loin cuts. I bought some great tri tip ($14.99lb) and sirloin ($11.99) last time I was in. Both were excellent. 

Agreed on the inside/outside with Wagyu. Not much difference that I can tell. 
  • Aside from realizing that I've (embarrassingly) been spelling Wagyu wrong....I realized that I should ask my HEB butcher if he/she can get it.  I know someone that's had good luck with their HEB butcher ordering Wagyu for them. I'll try that route first, since it's the easiest.  

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Aside from realizing that I've (embarrassingly) been spelling Wagyu wrong....I realized that I should ask my HEB butcher if he/she can get it.  I know someone that's had good luck with their HEB butcher ordering Wagyu for them. I'll try that route first, since it's the easiest.  

all the wagyu I have gotten from them has been excellent. I've done several briskets (which they always have in stock) and most of the steaks too. They are every bit as good as Snake River Farms and usually at half the price. if you can't get it there in Burnett just bring a cooler next time you are out this way and grab some at Lakeway or Bee Cave HEB.
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker, great idea.  I'm going to try the new-ish HEB Plus store in Marble Falls, but will definitely try Lakeway or Bee Cave if they don't have it.  I pass through that way every two weeks. Thanks!
    Kelley 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    That looks great.  Love the crust! 
    Run direct?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    That looks great.  Love the crust! 
    Run direct?  
    Yep. Dome open, bottom vent wide open. Very hot direct fire. 
  • Nice!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Very nice John

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • McFly
    McFly Posts: 9
    @billyray. Great recipe, cooked it up last night and it was delicious.  Thank you

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Great looking skirt !!  I am all-in in this cut as well, here is the SRF outside skirt I pulled off my BGE this sat - it was unreal !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”