Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Separating brisket flat

Options

I’ve watched videos and still can’t really figure how to do this. Is that big piece mostly a flat?

LBGE, Minimax
Owensboro, Kentucky
Go Cats!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Can't really tell from.the picture but just follow that big fat line from front to back, looks like you hit it perpendicular vs horizontal 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Captain_Paul
    Options
    Problem is I could t find a big fat line. 
    LBGE, Minimax
    Owensboro, Kentucky
    Go Cats!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    It’s a little hard to tell from the picture but it appears that you did it as well as that brisket would allow.  The big piece looks to be all one lean muscle with the fibers all running in the same direction. That would be the pectoralis major that makes up the majority of a brisket.  The other pieces look quite fatty so they likely contain portions of the pectoralis minor.  It’s fibers should have been oriented at about a 45-60 degree angle to the fibers of the pec major.  Given the pics and your comments about the lack of a fat plane I’d have to guess that this is a select brisket with relatively little fat. 

I hope that helps - and welcome aboard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX