Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal shortage looming?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Local ace sold a pallet of Rockwood in 2 days.
    Thanks for being our guy. Enjoyed the breeze of your back porch......and of course the chatter. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Told you so...
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    I have resorted to using briquettes for cooks that are not low and slow in order to conserve the lump I have. Supply is intermittent at best.. Of course I have to clean the ash out each cook, but otherwise it works.
    Same thing happened to me this past weekend. My usual stops had no lump, so had to use "natural" briquettes instead.  They work, just don't like it near as much. Sure I could drive to an Ace seaking out the lump, but I didn't have time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    found royal oak at hd, they had 2 pallets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChadMattington
    Options
    @stlcharcoal notes an increase in demand and that goes for this side of the 49th as well. local retailer of Maple Leaf told me they had been shorted on the last two shipments, BC being about as far as we can get from the kilns in Quebec. He thought that there might be some shipments heading to the US. Price is still good for an 8Kg bag it is just under $15US/$19CDN. 
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread -

@Skiddymarker - Where do you buy Maple Leaf from? I’m in Langley, BC and I’ve been looking for it to try, especially at that price. 

@stlcharcoal - Do you have any distributors/sellers of in the Vancouver, BC area? I’m interested in trying your brand as well. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    Btw, I am presently trying Kamoda Joe big block, it smells like kerosene. I waited for the smoke to clear and then put the chicken on raised direct(Mickey’s). The smoke then dirtied up again? Chicken fat maybe?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @stlcharcoal notes an increase in demand and that goes for this side of the 49th as well. local retailer of Maple Leaf told me they had been shorted on the last two shipments, BC being about as far as we can get from the kilns in Quebec. He thought that there might be some shipments heading to the US. Price is still good for an 8Kg bag it is just under $15US/$19CDN. 
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread -

@Skiddymarker - Where do you buy Maple Leaf from? I’m in Langley, BC and I’ve been looking for it to try, especially at that price. 

@stlcharcoal - Do you have any distributors/sellers of in the Vancouver, BC area? I’m interested in trying your brand as well. 
    Chad - Home Hardware was my source at 19.99/8kg, but they have started to carry BGE grills, so guess what brand of lump they now sell at $30/8kg bag? Added 5 bags of ML on special order for a $7 tube of LEXEL in January to make the drive over to South Delta worth it and get free shipping, or so I told SWMBO. Lowes also handled Maple Leaf, last year bought half a pallet, 15 bags. They too have moved to Kamado Joe as they sell their grills. 

CTC in Whalley had a few of bags of ML on Thursday, I grabbed four and there were some "been around the block a few times" bags left. Early days of MasterChef sure looked, cooked and smelled like Maple Leaf, later bags not so much. i wonder if ML is making and bagging for CTC?

Jonathan at St Louis Charcoal doesn't have any Canadian dealers to my knowledge, Rockwood is a good/great product which pre-COVID days was a quick trip to the ACE in Blaine or Bellingham. Now we are stuck. Haven't bought any since early last year. Good luck and let me know if you find a source. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,475
    Options
    Rockwood website offers it.  Basques Sugar Maple is available as well on-line.  After that I don't buy.
    No shortage for me.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I honestly wonder if in some cases it’s a case of changing consumer wants. At Home Depot they don’t sell any grills that use lump. Everything is for briquettes or pellets. That may be at least why they are not sticking RO as much as they once did. 

Just a thought. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I honestly wonder if in some cases it’s a case of changing consumer wants. At Home Depot they don’t sell any grills that use lump. Everything is for briquettes or pellets. That may be at least why they are not sticking RO as much as they once did. 

Just a thought. 
    Home Depot sells Kettles and some Masterbuilts that can use lump or briquettes.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RyanStl
    Options
    Along the same line wood appears to be in shortage. This weekend we camped at St. Francois Missouri State Park. We arrived at campsite at 6pm, got all setup, and by 6:30pm the park was out of firewood to sell. Unbelievable. I had to drive around for nearly an hour looking for a gas station that sold wood.
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    PSA - my wife made a Kroger run today and stumbled upon 3 15 lb bags of Royal Oak.  She had been hearing my whining about not finding lump so she grabbed all three.  Honestly never thought to look there.  But my stash is now over 125 lbs so feeling good about getting by for a few months.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @EzraBrooks - you have no idea how lucky you are.  And I'm not talking lump buys here!  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    @lousubcap for sure, we have a symbiotic relationship...she keeps me supplied (usually with groceries but now lump) and I make her favorites for her
  • GrillerReb
    GrillerReb Posts: 11
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Are you all morally opposed to purchasing online? I’m just curious. I can buy directly from Fogo and I can buy Jealous Devil straight from Amazon.
  • RyanStl
    Options
    Are you all morally opposed to purchasing online? I’m just curious. I can buy directly from Fogo and I can buy Jealous Devil straight from Amazon.
    No, just financially opposed.  Besides food, 75% I buy, I buy from Amazon.  However, I only do so if price is same or better than local big box. Charcoal doesn't fall into that category.
  • GrillerReb
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    No, just financially opposed.  Besides food, 75% I buy, I buy from Amazon.  However, I only do so if price is same or better than local big box. Charcoal doesn't fall into that category.
    Hey, I can definitely sympathize with that notion. I just see a lot of folks saying they can’t find premium brands like Rockwood and it’s available for direct online purchase. 

I use Jealous Devil for my long cooks and am able to purchase directly from Amazon with no problems. I guess I’ve been fortunate in that my local Kroger and Dollar General still also carry plenty of Royal Oak. Not my favorite but it works well enough for most purposes.

I live in the sticks of W Tennessee. It seems like we have a lot of kamado owners around here but I’ve fortunately had no issues with finding lump. 
  • carrda04
    Options
    Hey, I can definitely sympathize with that notion. I just see a lot of folks saying they can’t find premium brands like Rockwood and it’s available for direct online purchase. 

This is definitely true. I'm a Rockwood guy, and I know I currently CAN buy it at Amazon, but at a higher cost to me, and not a higher net to the producer. And I'd rather the margin go to the family that owns my local Ace rather than the billions Mr. Bezos already has. I certainly will order if shipments don't reach the great white North of MN soon, though! Have been checking daily and there is only one store in the entire state with it in stock right now, and it's a couple hundred miles away. It'll come, eventually. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    @bubbajack.  He told me the same thing a few days ago except he is unable to get RO also.  I've been on him to carry Rockwood since he opened the store and he always told me he couldn't and sell BGE's
    We are Ace Dealers and sell both brands.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    carrda04 said:

This is definitely true. I'm a Rockwood guy, and I know I currently CAN buy it at Amazon, but at a higher cost to me, and not a higher net to the producer. And I'd rather the margin go to the family that owns my local Ace rather than the billions Mr. Bezos already has. I certainly will order if shipments don't reach the great white North of MN soon, though! Have been checking daily and there is only one store in the entire state with it in stock right now, and it's a couple hundred miles away. It'll come, eventually. 

You can buy direct from Rockwood. The 3 bag deal is as good as any online and it all goes toward new shoes for the Heslop family :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • carrda04
    Options
    carrda04 said:

You can buy direct from Rockwood. The 3 bag deal is as good as any online and it all goes toward new shoes for the Heslop family :)

Damn right......and there are 8 of those little feet that require new shoes every 1-2 months.  These four little vultures eat through at least a box of cereal and bag of chips every day too.

Well then, we're definitely cutting Amazon out of this relationship! :)
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    After reading this frightening thread, I drove over to my local BGE dealer this morning. He had a full pallet of Rockwood, so I bought four bags, to my great relief. Apparently the shortages are randomly located.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    After reading this frightening thread, I drove over to my local BGE dealer this morning. He had a full pallet of Rockwood, so I bought four bags, to my great relief. Apparently the shortages are randomly located.

Just checked Brickseek for RO at area WalMarts.  About 2/3 of them show no stock, while others show limited stock or plenty of stock.  Looks like it is more of an inconvenience issue vs not being able to find any.
    Raleigh, NC
  • carrda04
    Options
    Couldn’t wait for MN Ace’s any longer. What a beautiful sight to return to after an early morning walk! Not a huge stash, but enough to get through the Minnesota winter, as it affords less opportunity to cook outdoors in Jan/Feb...Big thanks to @stlcharcoal for the incredibly speedy delivery!

LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I recently took one for the Rockwood team.  I came across a solid deal on-line (not amazon) for Basques Sugar Maple lump.  Haven't ordered or used it in years but decided to pull the trigger thus reducing demand for Rockwood in the near-term.   B)
  • carrda04
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I recently took one for the Rockwood team.  I came across a solid deal on-line (not amazon) for Basques Sugar Maple lump.  Haven't ordered or used it in years but decided to pull the trigger thus reducing demand for Rockwood in the near-term.   B)
    Thank you for your sacrifice! 😉

I have heard others rave about it, but have never tried. Will be interested to see if you like it. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options
    carrda04 said:
    Couldn’t wait for MN Ace’s any longer. What a beautiful sight to return to after an early morning walk! Not a huge stash, but enough to get through the Minnesota winter, as it affords less opportunity to cook outdoors in Jan/Feb...Big thanks to @stlcharcoal for the incredibly speedy delivery!

Ha!  I had to go digging for that Maple......you have four of the last five bags we had in the warehouse.
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Options
    Getting 4 bags of Rockwood delivered to my house on 10/15 from my local Ace in MN, so it is coming.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN