Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yoder Smokers

Looking to add to the collection.  Has anyone had any experience with Yoder Smokers?  Looking in to them and figured I would ask around.  Thanks
Go Gamecocks!!!
1 XL, 1 MM
Smoking in Aiken South Carolina

Comments

• Things look like a beast. Would he interested if others have any experience as well. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The warranty was a deal breaker for me. Only 3 yrs on the electrical components. They are built like tanks though.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You need to be more specific as they make a wide variety from true smokers, to hog cookers to pellet smokers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg said:
    You need to be more specific as they make a wide variety from true smokers, to hog cookers to pellet smokers.
    Excuse me, pellet smokers is what I’m looking for.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    As far as pellet smokers, Yoder is as good as it gets.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Yoder, by far.

I have to agree with @SGH

My next door neighbor has/had a Traeger, from when they were made overseas. He was very unhappy with it and eventually gave it away. The new Traegers are much better, but, Yoder still seems to be the best for pellet smoking. 

I think the grilling function of a Yoder is not fully appreciated, or as commonly known. It does a splendid job.

If I were to choose it would be Yoder.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    YukonRon said:
    Yoder, by far.

I have to agree with @SGH

My next door neighbor has/had a Traeger, from when they were made overseas. He was very unhappy with it and eventually gave it away. The new Traegers are much better, but, Yoder still seems to be the best for pellet smoking. 

I think the grilling function of a Yoder is not fully appreciated, or as commonly known. It does a splendid job.

If I were to choose it would be Yoder.
    I would also consider the weber. They have worked out most of their initial issues. If you look at a Yoder the 640 is like $1800 plus shipping but then everything is an add on. The grilling option you mentioned if you are going to use it to grill often there is an accessory that makes the grilling easier to use. There was a 2nd rack extender or something. I dont remember exactly what they are but when I was looking at them I was in for like another $500 in options the way I would have wanted it. They have the 480 and 640 on the floor to look at in Atlanta Grill company if the OP is ever in the Atl area.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2020
    The Yoder is a good one. I would also look at the Pitts and Spitts Maverick line.
    I've cooked on the 1250 and it was a great experience! Built like a tank. 
    Amazing Ribs review of 8 months of cooking:
    https://amazingribs.com/smoker/pitts-spitts-maverick-1250-pellet-grill-review
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    check out recteq. Great reviews. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • They build Yoders 50 miles from where I live. My employer has a YS640. Very well built. Heavy solid units. Before puchasing my egg, I was leaning heavily toward a Yoder. The owner also owns All Things BBQ in Wichita. Very nice shop and they put on monthly cooking courses. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • Yoders are built like a tank and will retain heat well, but may eat pellets. I have an older Mak 1 Star General pellet grill for 6 years now and never had any issues with heat retention, built, or electrical components. 

Heard good things about Rectec. 
  • Only bad things I’ve heard is they use a lot of fuel and tend to rust fast. 
    It's also an 1/8" thick lol so a little rust isn't going to do squat compared to a tin-can competitor. Nothing that a wire brush and high temp paint won't control. 
    South Central Kansas
    It's also an 1/8" thick lol so a little rust isn't going to do squat compared to a tin-can competitor. Nothing that a wire brush and high temp paint won't control. 

No, it will not hurt it but it looks bad. I know some that repaint them regularly to keep them looking good. Some may not like having to do that.

No, it will not hurt it but it looks bad. I know some that repaint them regularly to keep them looking good. Some may not like having to do that.
    Agree with you there. The skirt in the front of my boss's started peeling and rusting within a couple of years. 
    South Central Kansas
  • Another curious potential customer here. I've considered buying a Yoder a couple of times, but just haven't been able to convince myself that it would be a game changer from the BGE. Since my travel budget for this year has been shot to hell, I'd be more than willing to spring for a YS480 if I could believe it did things my LBGE can't do.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    A big plus for me on the Yoder, it's built in the USA. 
    Built in the USA is a rare thing for pellet smokers these days, most are made overseas as others have mentioned.
  • Thanks for all the feedback.  Much appreciated.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Acquiring new rigs/toys is always a treat.  Way to get it done.  I'm sure you will be pleased.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I've heard lot's of good things on the Yoder
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I like when a thread like this includes the purchase of the item in question. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI