Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just curious....Anyone here had Covid19?

Options

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options

And to the folks who flagged the above post - what in God's name is wrong with you?  
    Italy. They hate Italy.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    heres a question, does anyone know a sturgis goer thats had it or been linked to it, im not seeing that new study of 250,000 infected with 12.5 million in expected health costs being accurate. of the 50 or so that went from my town, none have had it. something doesnt add up
    I saw that yesterday and then for like 3 hours it was all over the place like its confirmed.  Read an article and they are estimating so I was also interested in facts.

I also learned the term "super spreader" yesterday
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    19 y/o daughter tested positive in July while working in a beach town and living in a petri dish of like-minded, invincible-feeling young women.  She came home for a family quarantine with SWMBO, me and the 22 y/o.  Aside from reports of "tingly skin" and a day's loss of taste and smell (color me skeptical), she had no symptoms and no one else presented with any kind of symptom or issue that was cause for alarm, despite overactive imaginations.  She tested positive 3 more times during her quarantine [because she KNEW the first test was wrong] and the rest of us tested negative, repeatedly.  Our state's division of public health did a bunch of live telephone interviews and, ultimately, text tracing, until we all were "officially" released after 14 days in strict isolation (except for the tests, which were drive through, we didn't leave our property and she didn't leave her room, except to sit on a flat part of the roof). 

We are very aware of how fortunate we are and have been.  I'll take "mere inconvenience" over the array of alternative outcomes any day.  

It's really, really tempting to let our guard down, but we're continuing to be very careful.  Over the weekend we had 2 couples over for the first time in forever, but were very distanced -- almost comically so.  And I've heard that ingesting alcohol in mass quantities could be a preventative and/or therapeutic measure, so we were well covered there.  [THIS IS NOT TRUE, SO DON'T COME AT ME, BRAH!]
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    heres a question, does anyone know a sturgis goer thats had it or been linked to it, im not seeing that new study of 250,000 infected with 12.5 million in expected health costs being accurate. of the 50 or so that went from my town, none have had it. something doesnt add up
    I saw that yesterday and then for like 3 hours it was all over the place like its confirmed.  Read an article and they are estimating so I was also interested in facts.

Fish - I believe it’s a model based on cell phone locations.  People that congregated in Sturgis, where they went after and tie that to increases in incidence that don’t have any other obvious causes in those downstream locations (That fit the timing). There can also be asymptomatic people that have it and don’t know and are spreading it around.
  • Legume
    Options
    A few people in my team at work (and some of their family) have had it, in US and India.  All recovered.  US experiences were more mild, cases in India were more symptomatic, but no losses.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    have not had it but sister has. i know 8 that have had, 2 of those died in nursing homes.  heres a question, does anyone know a sturgis goer thats had it or been linked to it, im not seeing that new study of 250,000 infected with 12.5 million in expected health costs being accurate. of the 50 or so that went from my town, none have had it. something doesnt add up
    It’s an estimate based on what the data indicates for counties that had a good number of Sturgis attendees compared to those who did not.

So take county A and county B that are determined to be similar based on various metrics - overall size, population density, demographics, etc.  Imagine county B had a good number of Sturgis attendees while county B had say close to zero.

What they did to get to their estimate of 250,000 plus was to compare the CDC data for counties like A to counties like B during the time period after Sturgis.  The results indicate that the Sturgis counties have seen significantly more cases, in a statistically meaningful way.  

That’s at least my understanding of the study, based on what I’ve read.  All that being said, I don’t think it’s been peer reviewed.  I’d personally wait until it has before assigning much weight to it, but in principle what they’ve done here is pretty easy to understand.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I say I haven't had it but I am not 100% sure as I have not been tested. However, my 17yr old son worked as the videografer for a camp and was tested repeatedly (6 times). My family has been quite vigilant self quarantining and wearing masks constantly because my mother in law is living with Parkinsons and breast cancer and we never know when we'll have to help out with her care. I also have elderly parents that we can't chance exposing.
    I've been amazed at how flippant many are about exposure to themselves and disregard for others. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I’m curious for those of you claiming you haven’t had it - how do you know for sure?
    I took the anti-body test.  It came back negative.

I was sure I had it.  My boss came back from China on 1/24, prior to our company's mandated quarantine.  I spent 5 hours in a car with him, and within a 13 days, I was sicker than I have ever been (2/6 through 2/10).  Only cough and fever.  I was sure I had it.  But, at that time, you couldn't get the swab test unless you knew Dr. Fauci personally.

But, the antibody test in June said "no".

So, I suppose I could have had it since June.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I’m curious for those of you claiming you haven’t had it - how do you know for sure?
    I took the anti-body test.  It came back negative.

I was sure I had it.  My boss came back from China on 1/24, prior to our company's mandated quarantine.  I spent 5 hours in a car with him, and within a 13 days, I was sicker than I have ever been (2/6 through 2/10).  Only cough and fever.  I was sure I had it.  But, at that time, you couldn't get the swab test unless you knew Dr. Fauci personally.

But, the antibody test in June said "no".

So, I suppose I could have had it since June.
    From what I've read the antibodies are sometimes gone within 3 months. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Heres a good article on whats a guestimate and whats real from Sturgis.  As always the truth lies in the middle.

https://reason.com/2020/09/09/no-the-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-didnt-spawn-250000-coronavirus-cases/
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    have not had it but sister has. i know 8 that have had, 2 of those died in nursing homes.  heres a question, does anyone know a sturgis goer thats had it or been linked to it, im not seeing that new study of 250,000 infected with 12.5 million in expected health costs being accurate. of the 50 or so that went from my town, none have had it. something doesnt add up
    It’s an estimate based on what the data indicates for counties that had a good number of Sturgis attendees compared to those who did not.

So take county A and county B that are determined to be similar based on various metrics - overall size, population density, demographics, etc.  Imagine county B had a good number of Sturgis attendees while county B had say close to zero.

What they did to get to their estimate of 250,000 plus was to compare the CDC data for counties like A to counties like B during the time period after Sturgis.  The results indicate that the Sturgis counties have seen significantly more cases, in a statistically meaningful way.  

That’s at least my understanding of the study, based on what I’ve read.  All that being said, I don’t think it’s been peer reviewed.  I’d personally wait until it has before assigning much weight to it, but in principle what they’ve done here is pretty easy to understand.  

im not putting to much weight to it but it seems to be getting some traction. of the 50 something that made the trip, 8 driving the trailers and the rest flying, the hotel stays on the way, the 10 day stay there, picking up food gas, rest room stops etc airplanes trips then the streets, bars, restaurants, etc, none got it and all but two were tested.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I say I haven't had it but I am not 100% sure as I have not been tested. However, my 17yr old son worked as the videografer for a camp and was tested repeatedly (6 times). My family has been quite vigilant self quarantining and wearing masks constantly because my mother in law is living with Parkinsons and breast cancer and we never know when we'll have to help out with her care. I also have elderly parents that we can't chance exposing.
    I've been amazed at how flippant many are about exposure to themselves and disregard for others. 

it could be that the south entered this frenzy later than the northeast. i have only seen one idiot enter a building/ establishment without a mask in months. gloves on the other hand are a thing from the past
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    xfire_ATX said:

Fish - I believe it’s a model based on cell phone locations.  People that congregated in Sturgis, where they went after and tie that to increases in incidence that don’t have any other obvious causes in those downstream locations (That fit the timing). There can also be asymptomatic people that have it and don’t know and are spreading it around.

i was actually impressed to see that the majority coming back here took the necessary steps and got tested and did the self quarantine. not sure what steps folks in other areas of the country did. hopefully this study was more a farce than a legitimate model
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Heres a good article on whats a guestimate and whats real from Sturgis.  As always the truth lies in the middle.

https://reason.com/2020/09/09/no-the-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-didnt-spawn-250000-coronavirus-cases/
    Yet not a peep from the media on BLM protests/gatherings.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

At the time those spiked, I believe there were some similar articles and approaches used. It was far from an invisible topic when it initially started and was widespread.

I think the surprising conclusions at the time was that they didn’t see any significant spread or spikes they could easily attribute to protests.  Like Sturgis, it would be silly to assume there was none or to attribute too much to it.
  • Legume
    Options
    But...what about.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

That's actually a fairly misleading article.  It doesn't mention that they had controls, which is central to the analysis. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

Really dude?
  • GATraveller
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

Really dude?
    I don't care what the gatherings are for/against. They're all reckless. I just find it odd that there isn't a larger voice discouraging any/all of them.
    Merely stating that fact is not racist. 
    Lighten up Francis. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

Really dude?
    I don't care what the gatherings are for/against. They're all reckless. I just find it odd that there isn't a larger voice discouraging any/all of them.
    Merely stating that fact is not racist. 
    Lighten up Francis. 
    I didn’t say anything about it being racist.

There are several key differences between the protests and Sturgis.  All I ask is for a modicum of critical thinking, rather than a knee-jerk assignment of media bias.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I think more people wore masks during the protests?Sturgis Motorcycle Rally An attendee at the South Dakota event dies of  Covid-19 in Minnesota - CNN
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Definitely.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Clearly we need a ButtBlast or Brisket Camp to check all this out.  JIC needs to get busy figuring pre/post test rates etc.  We have drs and lab people on this forum to help peer review his parameters.  Let’s get on this.  Society needs our help.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    I think so.

We were in Italy at the first of the year, and finished it in Venice, about the time when all hëll broke loose in Northern Italy.

2 weeks after returning home, My Beautiful Wife and I had never been more sick in our lives. Elevated temps, muscle pain, wicked sore throat, congestion and headaches.

I could not crawl out of bed for a week, My Beautiful Wife was the same.

In February, I went for a check up. I asked if the Covid19 flu was a possibility for me, and he said, at that time, there is standing protocol, to prevent such things from spreading in to the USA, and he ghought then it was unlikely.

Then in May I was tested and those tests came back negative for infection, which I had expected.

Recently a fellow member of this forum shared a link about Covid19 with me, which contained information about symptoms during, and related problems that continue ..... after you have successfully fought off this virus.

I had/have all the symptoms listed in that link.
    One that was extremely telling was my problem with potassium levels. I am a life long K supplement user to get my levels up to just below normal.
    My last physical, that number had skyrocketed to 12× the high end range for normal.

Also the chest pains. I had to go to the ER due to severe chest pains that were unexplainable. Did every test I could, they could find no issues. Still have them and they hurt so incredibly bad, it scares the heck out of me.

My last visit with my doctor, since much more has been learned, he seems to think it was likely we had the virus, even though I have had 2 antibody tests that came back negative.

I do not know for sure, but whatever it was, I want no more of it.
    Ron, sorry to hear about all of that.  I had no idea. I hope at least the chest pains start to diminish.  That would freak me out for sure.

And to the folks who flagged the above post - what in God's name is wrong with you?  
    That was why I had to back away for a while. With work and everything else, I just had to try my best just to get through the day. To say I feel better now is an understatement. I still have some issues my doctor and I are working through; change of diet, meds, etc., and I have noticed an improvement for sure. The potassium issue is the major concern right now. I go back in 3 weeks. 
    We will see what happens.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:
    I think so.

We were in Italy at the first of the year, and finished it in Venice, about the time when all hëll broke loose in Northern Italy.

2 weeks after returning home, My Beautiful Wife and I had never been more sick in our lives. Elevated temps, muscle pain, wicked sore throat, congestion and headaches.

I could not crawl out of bed for a week, My Beautiful Wife was the same.

In February, I went for a check up. I asked if the Covid19 flu was a possibility for me, and he said, at that time, there is standing protocol, to prevent such things from spreading in to the USA, and he ghought then it was unlikely.

Then in May I was tested and those tests came back negative for infection, which I had expected.

Recently a fellow member of this forum shared a link about Covid19 with me, which contained information about symptoms during, and related problems that continue ..... after you have successfully fought off this virus.

I had/have all the symptoms listed in that link.
    One that was extremely telling was my problem with potassium levels. I am a life long K supplement user to get my levels up to just below normal.
    My last physical, that number had skyrocketed to 12× the high end range for normal.

Also the chest pains. I had to go to the ER due to severe chest pains that were unexplainable. Did every test I could, they could find no issues. Still have them and they hurt so incredibly bad, it scares the heck out of me.

My last visit with my doctor, since much more has been learned, he seems to think it was likely we had the virus, even though I have had 2 antibody tests that came back negative.

I do not know for sure, but whatever it was, I want no more of it.
    Ron, sorry to hear about all of that.  I had no idea. I hope at least the chest pains start to diminish.  That would freak me out for sure.

That was why I had to back away for a while. With work and everything else, I just had to try my best just to get through the day. To say I feel better now is an understatement. I still have some issues my doctor and I are working through; change of diet, meds, etc., and I have noticed an improvement for sure. The potassium issue is the major concern right now. I go back in 3 weeks. 
    We will see what happens.
    Im hoping your doctor had you retested on the high potassium? My blood work last year the potassium came back really high so they had me retake it. Something about blood cells rupturing in the sample causes a false reading. Mine was fine the 2nd test. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Her videos crack me up.

"Historically, we haven't been so good at testing so this came as a great surprise to us."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Her videos crack me up.

"Historically, we haven't been so good at testing so this came as a great surprise to us."

thats going to be one fun house in a couple weeks =)
    fukahwee maine