Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT - Kenji makes a Grilled Cheese Sammich

Before you dismiss this pedestrian topic, it includes subjects like inside-out construction, a history of American cheese, emulsification salts and its migration to other cheeses, how to make non-melty cheese melty, Italian breads made by Japanese bakers, German mustards, fermented hot sauces, habañeros, small sweet pickles, pan sizes, handle-mounted GoPros, ME-definitions of plasticity, onions, bacon, jalapeños, mangos, calibrated sammich weights, cutting boards with iPhone slots (!), and probably the two most tortured dogs in all of California.  Quite a lot of info in 15 minutes.  
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD8UTr5mMVk

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    No reason to dismiss grilled cheese. That can be a serious sandwich. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I actually prefer mayo instead butter to brown.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• I've used this recipe for grilled cheese before and it's my favorite way to do them:

https://food52.com/recipes/61235-ruth-reichl-s-diva-of-a-grilled-cheese

Just that outer crust of melty cheese that you get with this approach makes it all worth it, but the particular combo of cheeses and onions here also brings it to 11.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    WHITE AMERICAN, WHITE CHEDDAR no orange cheese, well except for velveeta.

made one this weekend with hoffmans super sharp, sliced black cherry tomatoes and bumblebee striped cherry tomatoes and used a swirled rye bread. did everything wrong and yet it paired well with a smuttynose finestkind IPA

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Supposedly, the further west you go in the US, the more cheddar is orange; in NE is mostly white, in CA its mostly orange.  

My only beef is that orange cheese of any kind does not belong on a pizza.  :angry:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    Supposedly, the further west you go in the US, the more cheddar is orange; in NE is mostly white, in CA its mostly orange.  

My only beef is that orange cheese of any kind does not belong on a pizza.  :angry:

i think i would have to ask the deli guy if they have orange american, its never displayed were i shop
    fukahwee maine

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 364
    Here's a rather rapid and quite decent faux grilled cheese sandwich.
    Toast your bread in a toaster. Just bare bread here.
    Make your sandwich, with the condiments inside.
    Microwave for 15 seconds per slice of toast.
    The cheese should be just barely melting. Let it rest a few seconds.
    It's really awfully good and so easy....
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Ok, I'll bite, what is American cheese?? Are we talking Kraft single type stuff here?
  • fishlessman
    edited September 2020
    ITS THE TYPICAL CHEAP CHEESE FOUND AT THE DELI COUNTER FOR SLICING, COMES IN WHITE AND A SICKENING YELLOW/ORANGE LIKE THE GOVERNMENT CHEESE OF THE 1970'S.  oo
    oops had the caplock on

Land O Lakes Deli White American Cheese Product - 5 lb Nutrition  Information  Innit

fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    edited September 2020
    ITS THE TYPICAL CHEAP CHEESE FOUND AT THE DELI COUNTER FOR SLICING, COMES IN WHITE AND A SICKENING YELLOW/ORANGE LIKE THE GOVERNMENT CHEESE OF THE 1970'S.  oo
    oops had the caplock on

Land O Lakes Deli White American Cheese Product - 5 lb Nutrition  Information  Innit

Ok got it, not at all common here, but you didn't have to yell.

(I tend to leave the CAPS on too as i normally have CAD programs on the go in another window)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Botch said:

i think i would have to ask the deli guy if they have orange american, its never displayed were i shop
    I always wondered why Subway "American" cheese was white.  I assumed it was just the color of low quality knock-off American cheese.  All proper American and Cheddar cheeses should be orange.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    My go-to is SD, buttered on both sides, Tillamook sharp cheddar on the inside. I'll add sliced green apples or onions sometimes.

Sprinkle of chaat masala (or sandwich masala), and some Maggi Hot & Sweet ketchup on the side... Boom!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    My go to is sourdough with taleggio cheese.  A drizzle of honey, pinch of salt.

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    smak said:
    My go to is sourdough with taleggio cheese.  A drizzle of honey, pinch of salt.

With windows open.   =)

I gotta try this!  

• fishlessman
    fast food drive thru cheese is orange. the good cabot cheddar chipped off the giant wheel block is white. maybe the rest of the country does not have the big round wheel block in their country stores. can you even chip orange cheese
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    so yesterday at the deli i found out they do have the orange cheese hidden behind the counter =) saw this as well, american 4 cheese blend, maybe grilled cheese next week with a little gorganzola added in. they had a low salt version as well which i find the regular version a little salty

fukahwee maine