Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next Up ... Beef Ribs

Mark_B_Good
Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
Pork Ribs ... check
Brisket ... check
Pork Butt ... check
Rib Roast ... check

Next up Beef Ribs ... will be cooking these on Saturday, have two nice big racks.
What is your suggestion for dome temperature, target meat temperature, when/if to wrap, how long it will likely take, etc.

Should I do them like pork ribs?  3h smoke, then wrap in foil until tender and then cool in a towel for an hour??  250F dome?
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Best Answer

Answers

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Run them to 275 to 300 indirect. Expect 4 -5 hours if they are the large meaty ribs. The toothpick test for The finish. Rest before cutting. Joy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    these were 235f  til done, no foil. rub, a little white sugar, stubbs on the beef, babyrays on the pork. big piece of oak. short ribs i cook medium rare so no help there if they arent perfect to begin with. with maybe 20 descent meatshops near me, i only trust one with short ribs. with the dino bones below it can be difficult to find ones with enough meat to cook properly

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Yeah, we like medium rare, so I guess no wrap, and after a few hours may use the insta probe and see if the internal is what 135F to 140F?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    Yeah, we like medium rare, so I guess no wrap, and after a few hours may use the insta probe and see if the internal is what 135F to 140F?

those big ribs were cooked low and slow til about 205 internal, maybe even a little higher. these are the short ribs i cook like a steak til medium rare, ive never seen this cut look this meaty or cut in this fashion in any other shop

Image result for short ribs fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Beef Ribs cook like a brisket. The connective tissues need to break down. Need to test them around 190-200 Internal temp. 4-5 hours @ 250. Then probe like a brisket. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    What kind of ribs are you cooking? Plate,Chuck,Back or short?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I was assuming Plate.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mark_B_Good
    What kind of ribs are you cooking? Plate,Chuck,Back or short?
    Looks like Back Ribs, two racks, each almost 3.5 lbs.

• Mark_B_Good
    Thanks everyone, thanks Mattman for the link!  So it sounds like 275F for 3 hours unwrapped ... then wrap for the cool off!  Can't wait.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Going to be doing those ribs tomorrow. They're a bit thinner than I wanted.

Anyone know what the correct name is for this cut of ribs, this is what I'm really looking to cook:

• Mattman3969
    A rack with 3 bones is called Plate Ribs and a rack with 4 bones is call Chuck Ribs.  I think plate are more tender but you won’t go wrong with either 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mark_B_Good
    Thanks.
  • Mattman3969

analyze adapt overcome

• Mark_B_Good
    Ok, so a friend called me over for a bbq, and I ended up doing the ribs on his Napoleon Pro 665. Smoked for 2.5h at 250 to 275F, then seared at high temp for 1 min a side. My wife says she has a new favorite bbq dish. They were much more meaty than I thought they'd be. Tasted delicious. Put the T bones we also cooked to shame (and they were great too, which says a lot)!

Sorry guys, no pictures this time, but I'll be making these once again in the near future.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Pork Ribs ... check
    Brisket ... check
    Pork Butt ... check
    Rib Roast ... check

Next up Beef Ribs ... will be cooking these on Saturday, have two nice big racks.
    What is your suggestion for dome temperature, target meat temperature, when/if to wrap, how long it will likely take, etc.

Should I do them like pork ribs?  3h smoke, then wrap in foil until tender and then cool in a towel for an hour??  250F dome?
    I've just noticed someone seems to be randomly going around and disagreeing to some of my posts. Some I get, but how do you disagree to a question, the one I quote above ... there's others that make me curious too. Someone have a chip on their shoulder ... come out and say it. Don't hide behind your keyboard like a little **** cat.
  • Mattman3969
    Looks like somebody just disagreed with you plan of attack on the beef ribs. Actually I didn’t think it was the way I’d do it either but I wasn’t the flagger.  

Flags are nutz lately. Don’t sweat it because they don’t go on your permanent record.  Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Pork Ribs ... check
    Brisket ... check
    Pork Butt ... check
    Rib Roast ... check

I've just noticed someone seems to be randomly going around and disagreeing to some of my posts. Some I get, but how do you disagree to a question, the one I quote above ... there's others that make me curious too. Someone have a chip on their shoulder ... come out and say it. Don't hide behind your keyboard like a little **** cat.
    About 50% of the time it seems just be someone on a phone with fat thumbs.  Don't take it personally.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Foghorn said:
    Pork Ribs ... check
    Brisket ... check
    Pork Butt ... check
    Rib Roast ... check

About 50% of the time it seems just be someone on a phone with fat thumbs.  Don't take it personally.  
    Well, with all of the nuclear posts in recent days, I'm wondering if we don't have a brat or two in the forum that just go around trying to piss everyone off. Anyhow, I honestly don't care ... but wanted to make a point ... the Spidey Senses are flashing!
  • Mark_B_Good
    On another forum I'm in, it allows you to see who disagreed, or flagged a post, it was not anonymous.
  • Foghorn
    On another forum I'm in, it allows you to see who disagreed, or flagged a post, it was not anonymous.
    I think that used to be the case here.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mark_B_Good
    Foghorn said:
    I think that used to be the case here.  
    It shows the positive indicators ... Agree/Like.
    Doesn't show for me for those who Disagree or Flag.

I just disagreed to your post, can you see if it was me, if you hover the cursor over Disagree?
  • Foghorn
    No.  Two people have disagreed with my post and I can't tell who did it.  I'm probably wrong, but I think originally (probably several years ago) the "Flag" and "Disagree" folks were visible to everyone.  The fact that I don't really know if that is the case just shows that I don't care that much.  I suspect that there are some folks here who know the facts.

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Being old, @Foghorn is right with the owner of the tag being identified regardless of selection.  I have no idea why the forum transitioned to spineless negative tags but that's where we are.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    lousubcap said:
    Being old, @Foghorn is right with the owner of the tag being identified regardless of selection.  I have no idea why the forum transitioned to spineless negative tags but that's where we are.  
    Exactly my point. If you want to keep people accountable, then show their names.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Dialed in and ready to cook!

Is there a way to post videos on this site, or do I first have to publish on something like YouTube?

• Mark_B_Good
    275F for 2.5h once again. Smoked with hickory chips. Internal around 195F when I took them off. Really juicy.