Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you cook to treat yourself?

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    The treat for me is more the process , I find it relaxing and therapeutic ...Favorite kitchen hobbies are fermenting/ aging foods, making sausage ......I also enjoy overnight cooks for the same reason , the meal itself I could take it or leave it, I enjoy the time spent with it. ( great thread topic this is)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • abtaylor260
    Options
    Usually I will pick out a new recipe I've never done before because I have the kitchen to myself. Last one was shrimp etoufee over blackened catfish. Sipped some bourbon and listened to some tunes in the kitchen. Very therapeutic. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    As a follow up to my earlier post......This one is about dessert. Definitely peach cobbler on the egg with some peach smokin wood.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    pork belly burnt ends 
    Opelika, AL
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    Rack of lamb with potatoes au gratin. It was our favorite meal for holidays, birthdays, and special occasions.
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    Chicken Tikka Masala.  I believe it is the best thing to ever come off my egg but my wife can't stand it.  So that is my go to if I get the rare experience of a night alone.  Second night I'd do mussels, clams, or scallops, as she doesn't like those either.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    1) Medium Rare to Medium Prime Rib Roast (on the bone)
    2) Brisket ... but it can't be dry
    3) Beef Rib Rack
    4) Pulled Pork
    5) Flattened Chicken
    6) Pork Ribs
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    A nice steak, or Dino bones!
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    SGH said:
    I love just about everything Q related. However if I was forced to single one thing out as a treat, it would without question be chargrilled oysters. By a wide margin, this is my all time favorite. Even the mighty anus takes a back seat to chargrilled oysters. 
    Do you like raw as well?  Have eaten plenty of raw but not much grilled oysters.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've been known to break out the three cheese blend pizza when I want to go over the top.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Do you like raw as well?  Have eaten plenty of raw but not much grilled oysters.
    Brother I love oysters period. Raw, fried, baked, broiled or grilled. I eat them any style 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    today i went with an open face bean sandwich

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2020
    Options
    today i went with an open face bean sandwich

Do they still have brown bread in Maine? We used to eat it back in the 80’s... with beans. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I don’t know what the format is going on above. 

I like a big steak with too much beer and a cigars... 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Smoked oysters, with a white burgundy from Beaune, a Montrachet.  Porterhouse with a Red French blend from the right bank of the southern Rhone valley, Chateaneuf du Pape.

Grilled asparagus, Black beans and roated tomatoes,
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    Bunch of beer and some hotdogs if I can make it to the grill for me. It's not every day I can get a quiet house with no kids or wife so I take it easy. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Brisket burger, brisket point. 

NOLA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Brisket burger, brisket point. 

Like !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 368
    Options
    Since I live alone, I can treat myself any time I want to. Some of the recent ones are -
    Tri-tip,
    New York Strip,
    Burgers,
    Chicken breasts.
    All good stuff.
    Maybe a beer, and if so, most likely a lager. Sometimes homemade bread and sometimes some seasonal fruit.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @Mickey - it’s awesome seeing someone else that enjoys gizzards too.  Nice!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We are the few. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Mickey said:
    We are the few. 
    Count me in, love them.  I've only ever had them battered and deep fried, never considered them on the Egg.  What temp are you doing them at?
    And... my special treat when Angie is away, anchovie/hamburger pizza, delivered from a place that's been around forever and never changes.  Like gizzards, have loved anchovie pizza since a kid.  I get neither are for most, to each their own.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Without the wife and kids here, which just about never happens, im gonna make a lot of bad decisions. It starts at the store where ill buy and cook way more meat than I can eat, buy way more beer than I can drink and ill stay up way too late while i eat and drink myself into drunken, meat sweat oblivion before ultimately passing out on the deck with half a pork steak hanging from my mouth. That's how you treat yourself.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Mickey said:
    We are the few. 
    Count me in, love them.  I've only ever had them battered and deep fried, never considered them on the Egg.  What temp are you doing them at?
    And... my special treat when Angie is away, anchovie/hamburger pizza, delivered from a place that's been around forever and never changes.  Like gizzards, have loved anchovie pizza since a kid.  I get neither are for most, to each their own.
    400 raised direct. Rub/sauce like wings. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Mickey said:
    We are the few. 
    Mickey and Matt...your coffee rub recipe and endless wok masterpieces have earned you enough points in my book to be golden for the rest of your lives.  I look forward to meeting both of you someday.

But if, on that day, you’re serving gizzards, I might swing by the day after.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• G_S
    G_S Posts: 62
    edited August 2020
    Options

The significant other is not much of a seafood fan.

So for me it is ussaly, some type of Seafood when I am cooking for myself.

Red fish
    fresh oyosters 
    Grouper 
    Shrimp 
    I ussaly go to the local fresh fish market,  and see what speaks to me.

• lkapigian
    Options
    Mickey said:
    We are the few. 
    All three here and accounted for 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    I have seven people in this house. What is this alone you guys speak of?
    Las Vegas, NV

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    Mickey said:
    We are the few. 
    I like to hit with Swamp Venom and either cook raised direct about 400 or put them on a makeshift HDAF pan to cook indirect.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.