Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal shortage looming?

Options

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    @bubbajack.  He told me the same thing a few days ago except he is unable to get RO alsSameo.  I've been on him to carry Rockwood since he opened the store and he always told me he couldn't and sell BGE's.
    That's BS. My local Ace sells both BGE and Rockwood.
    Same
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    My local Ace has plenty of BGE and only 1 Rockwood, which I bought. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    My Ace now keeps Rockwood in stock which is much appreciated. Well worth $27 a bag, and often better with a $5 off coupon.
    Stillwater, MN
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my local Ace hasn't been able to get Rockwood for 2 or 3 weeks now.  Apparently the warehouse is out.  I may have to bust into my emergency RO bag (shudders).

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Royal Oak is out of stock just about everywhere here in SE MI.  Haven't tried to order Rockwood from my local ACE yet.

What gives?  Anyone know why LUMP of all things is getting hard to find as hand sanitizer? 
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    This is why you should never let your Rockwood stash get < 8 bags....that's my rule anyways. Some here get nervous when they're down to half a pallet 🔥🤛
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I have not hit the door to door on-line option in around 3-4 weeks.  Just checked and there are no outage/shortage disclaimers although the price has gone north again.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    RO has been scarce in Abilene. Is it just increased demand?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My Ace has plenty of RW and home depot has plenty of RO. Prices haven't changed. And I have a kitchen stove. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    I currently have 4 bags of Rockwood 2 bags of Royal Oak and 1 bag of Jealous Devil. I'm good for awhile. 
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 381
    Options
    Just a PSA...if you order Royal Oak through the Wal-Mart grocery app, they will do curbside pickup for it.  I picked up 60 lbs this way the other day.  I like to avoid entering Wal-Mart during normal times, during COVID even moreso.
  • Runamuck
    Runamuck Posts: 38
    Options
    No shortage at my house, still not back to work and my eggs get hungry! Over 500 lbs of lump left plus some Kingsford if I get desperate.  Should get me by for a while. Grill on!
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Just visited Ace in Memphis.  They had plenty of RW and plenty of other brands.  No sign of a shortage here.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Runamuck said:
    No shortage at my house, still not back to work and my eggs get hungry! Over 500 lbs of lump left plus some Kingsford if I get desperate.  Should get me by for a while. Grill on!
    Welcome aboard @Runamuck

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Foghorn - nice catch.
    @Runamuck - welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    I will offer that lump charcoal threads/discussions about who's lump is better etc here are wound every bit as tight as religion and politics.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    bump
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    plenty of cowboy lump here =) seems i buy a bag when grocery shopping even though i dont need it.  people are still hoarding and acting crazy, went to the nursery a month ago and they were barely stocked, now seeing corn and tomatoes getting big right in peoples front lawns and they are cutting the lawn around the plants...just crazy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Had my local ace guy buy a pallet a few weeks ago. He still has some,but also bought other brands. Blues Hog seems to be a really nice charcoal and has a low flavor profile like Rockwood. Sometimes you have to get what you can get.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• larryd
    larryd Posts: 121
    Options
    Everyone should be supporting local businesses anyway. Buy local, the job you save might be your own.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Lots of people staying home and cooking there rather than going out. I bet it hurts the supply chain.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    My local had Rockwood stocked to the rafters yesterday. I grabbed 10 ( my normal buy when I stock up). I was down to half bag. Can’t recall the last time that’s happened. I’m good for a few months anyway. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Well I went out and bought a few bags because of this post. Now have 7 bags, should last a while.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    I bought a bag of blues hog at ace, its fine, but I would rather have Rockwood as the owner is on the forums and personable.
    I I just bought a bag of Blues Hog as well at Ace there was no Rock Wood. I also picked up a bag of FOGO lump charcoal has anyone tried it? It was pretty expensive.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I used to use Fogo in my XL. I liked it pretty well, and it always had good size chunks, which I thought were important. I could not get Rockwood because of the nanny state Prop 65 in Republik of Kalifornia. They think everything causes cancer. Anyway, once Rockwood became available here, I switched to using nothing else. USA made, and the owner is here on the forum. My local ACE always seems to have a few bags in stock, but I have not been lately. I stocked up pretty well when the Covid hit.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I bought the last bag of Rockwood at johns creek Ace. Told me they are having trouble getting the lump.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I used to by a Mesquite branded by HEB but haven't seen it in stock in a month.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Well the Lumpocalypse is hitting home now. I’m desperately low on lump. Only 1 bag of Royal Oak left. Called my local Ace and they said I couldn’t order Rockwood at this time. So I bought 2 bags of B&B from Academy because that’s the only thing available within 100 miles of me apparently. Fingers crossed as I’ve never used it before. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    I have resorted to using briquettes for cooks that are not low and slow in order to conserve the lump I have. Supply is intermittent at best.. Of course I have to clean the ash out each cook, but otherwise it works.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim