Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do you cook to treat yourself?

Options
What do you cook for just yourself for a treat?  My wife and kids are gone tonight and I'm cooking for just me. When the family is gone, what do you cook?  Normally I do seared ahi or a good steak.  Looking to see what others do and get ideas.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm on my own for about 10 days.  Yesterday I went to the Asian market and did a batch of coconut soup (tom kha gai) and pad thai.  Today I went to Costco and picked up a prime brisket (2.79/lb).  I'm going to grind up the flat for burgers, and smoke the rest to make chili.  I also got some chicken thighs that will go into a batch of chicken tikka masala. 

Tonight I am making pizza dough for pizza tomorrow.

That's all I have planned for now.  I will probably have a steak night, maybe a flank steak that I can turn leftovers into tacos.  Also, there is a braised short ribs recipe I want to try.

Also, gin.
    NOLA
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I'm on my own for about 10 days.  Yesterday I went to the Asian market and did a batch of coconut soup (tom kha gai) and pad thai.  Today I went to Costco and picked up a prime brisket (2.79/lb).  I'm going to grind up the flat for burgers, and smoke the rest to make chili.  I also got some chicken thighs that will go into a batch of chicken tikka masala. 

That's all I have planned for now.  I will probably have a steak night, maybe a flank steak that I can turn leftovers into tacos.  Also, there is a braised short ribs recipe I want to try.

Also, gin.
    The braised short rib recipe from the bge cookbook is a go to for me when we have friends over.

And gin. And scotch.  What do you like for gin?
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Also, gin.
    The braised short rib recipe from the bge cookbook is a go to for me when we have friends over.

And gin. And scotch.  What do you like for gin?

My preferred gin is a local craft gin (Euphrosine #9 if you're in the NOLA area).  Larger brands I will usually choose Tangueray.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Pizza and steak are right up there for me. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    Options
    Wings and Sushi are my go to if I'm cooking for one.
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Wings and jalapeño poppers
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    Dobie said:
    One night, bourbon and a box of cheeze-its.  Beyond that if I feel froggy U15 scallops and some ABTs. 
    What temp do you smoke the bourbon and cheese-itz at? 😂😂
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Dobie said:
    One night, bourbon and a box of cheeze-its.  Beyond that if I feel froggy U15 scallops and some ABTs. 
    Room temp 😎
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:
    Room temp 😎
    Total pro move.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Usually a monster ribeye
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BigGreenKev
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:
    Room temp 😎
    You should have your own show! James Beard right there.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I have a FAVORITE meal using flank steak that I have made for MY birthday for my wife and I for at least 20 years now from a recipe someone gave my wife 30+ years ago. I also fix it for us at least 2 other times a year.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have a FAVORITE meal using flank steak that I have made for MY birthday for my wife and I for at least 20 years now from a recipe someone gave my wife 30+ years ago. I also fix it for us at least 2 other times a year.

Willing to share?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited August 2020
    Options
    RRP said:

Willing to share?

RRP’s London Broil

Background & Disclaimer: Nearly 40 years ago someone shared this basic recipe with my wife, Pat. We have no idea of the origin – hence no credit can be given. On the other hand I have tweaked it over the years and have adapted it to grilling on the Big Green Egg.  To this very day it is my favorite meal and I reserve it for my birthday meal plus a couple other special occasion celebrations each year.

Needed:

1 flank steak around 1.25 to 2 pounds

2 T garlic infused EVOO

3 t dried chopped parsley flakes

3 or 4 fresh garlic cloves chopped fine

½ t salt

2 t lemon juice

¼ t fresh ground pepper (12 grinds)

Using a sharp knife trim any excess fat. Scrape off the fine membrane on the one side. Rinse under cold running water and then dry. Option here: I use a JACCARD to assure my flank steak is tender. Combine the above ingredients, and mix well. Lay meat on a piece of Saran wrap, dust lightly with kcoarse kosher salt and spread the mixture evenly on both sides. Since a flank steak has a strong grain pattern to it with a stringy texture I work the mixture into the meat using the backside of a spoon. Finish wrapping with more Saran wrap and then seal tightly in a food safe plastic bag compressing out air. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, though 30 is better and 48 is best and do not disturb it!

Next day:

Sauté 8 oz of sliced white button mushrooms in 1/3 stick of real butter and salt to taste and sit aside, but do not drain! (BTW lately the sliced mushrooms are thicker than they used to be so I find they work with this meal better when further sliced in half while still raw OR better yet is to buy whole mushrooms and slice them myself!)

In a saucepan create the following au jus:

2 T Heinz Chili Sauce

a pinch of marjoram

a pinch of thyme

a generous pinch of hickory smoked salt

2 generous dashes of Tabasco

2 generous dashes of Worcestershire

5 oz of Burgundy

1 beef bouillon cube

2 oz of water

sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper

Mix these ingredients well and add several slices of onions, broken apart and left as rings or cut in half. Simmer the pot until it starts the fine bubble stage. At this point add the mushrooms and their liquid and stir well. This can be done in advance, left to cool and refrigerate until time to reheat and serve with the meal.

Grilling the meat:

Flank steak is thin and if overcooked it will become tough very quickly. 

Remove meat from refrigerator and place on counter for at least 2 hours before grilling time.

Fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome as you will be grilling direct. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes for first side, flip for 2 more minutes and  remove the meat as the cooking is done!

Quickly cut the meat across the grain in thin strips of ¼” to 3/8” slices. Prepare the plates with meat and garnish with the warm au jus/mushroom mixture. We love this meal with mashed potatoes also garnished with the mixture.

I just hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. BTW I love any leftovers just cold and eaten over the kitchen sink the next day!    Ron Pratt, aka RRP in Dunlap, IL

Updated July 4, 2020

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    My go to meal when I’m home alone is a ribeye and French fries. And lots of scotch. 
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    A couple of times a year I’ll splurge on a dry aged Wagyu steak. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:
    Room temp 😎

so much this.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mussels in marinara. Wife want eat them. It’s a favorite. I put a chitload of garlic in it.....so it’s a win / win if you ask me. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    A Wagyu New York strip. Or a loaded pepperoni and basil pizza 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:

Willing to share?
    The wife? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BugCollector
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm, Leg of Lamb.  My birthday was last month.  I start thinking about the lamb a couple of months in advance.  Shame I didn't go buy it then, because when I went to my regular grocery (HEB) they were out.  Went to my favorite butcher shop 30 miles away.  Didn't have any.  Dang.  Bought a couple of steaks. They were great.  
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Wings/ABTs or a nice steak is my usual. Sounds like good eats all around in this thread 
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    RRog17 said:
    My go to meal when I’m home alone is a ribeye and French fries. And lots of scotch. 
    Working on the scotch tonight!
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    RRP said:

Willing to share?
    The wife? 
    I have one.  Can't keep her happy so don't need more to deal with 😂
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    It is hard to pick out any particular favorite, the Egg has been taking over most cooks lately. Going back a few years: Chicken Marengo, baked flounder with tomato and shallot sauce, Mousaka, ceviche, carrot cake, turkey meatloaf, spaghetti with homemade sauce. Then came the Egg and it all changed.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lamb Pops
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lightningque
    Options
    usually a nice steak or maybe some wings 

1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,756
    edited August 2020
    Options
    every cook i treat myself, if theres others there i just make more of it. who the helll doesnt drink bourbon neat and i only drink it when the rye and/or gin bottle is dry or thats what the neighbor is offering
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it