Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burned some NC Smokey BBQ

Options

Comments

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    For those of you reading this who have no idea what it's actually about, know that you're one of the lucky ones.  
    See post below this one, lol 
    Who got to post your picture in the pet thread John or Nola?
    Perhaps ask some to post for you so it's readable there skippy.
    Its pretty clear
    You should look up the word obtuse and do some reflecting. If you still don't get it pm me. I will try to help you yet again. We both know you know how to do that, don't we... 
    Sit. Good boy
    My bad, that whole reading thing again...I tried
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    For those of you reading this who have no idea what it's actually about, know that you're one of the lucky ones.  
    See post below this one, lol 
    Who got to post your picture in the pet thread John or Nola?
    Perhaps ask some to post for you so it's readable there skippy.
    Its pretty clear
    You should look up the word obtuse and do some reflecting. If you still don't get it pm me. I will try to help you yet again. We both know you know how to do that, don't we... 
    Sit. Good boy
    My bad, that whole reading thing again...I tried
    Nobody said speak. Do i need to get the muzzle boy
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    350 is the dome temp, not the finish Internal Temp
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    Oh no, I’ve angered the “Chairman” and his sycophants.... whatever will I do. I guess I’ve learned my lesson.

You would appear to have anger confused with mockery.  It happens often around here.  

Maybe you can entertain us all some more with stories about the tenets of the good Dr. Immanuel?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    Oh no, I’ve angered the “Chairman” and his sycophants.... whatever will I do. I guess I’ve learned my lesson.

You would appear to have anger confused with mockery.  It happens often around here.  

Maybe you can entertain us all some more with stories about the tenets of the good Dr. Immanuel?
    Oh, my bad. I hope your church truly appreciates how you are out in the world spreading those good old Christian values. Have a blessed day.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not admit a mistake.

Double down.

Go all in on alien DNA, 5G and demon sex while you’re at it.  

One whack job with a white coat and a closet full of scary stuff doesn’t scare you.

Science and reason and evidence and the opinions of tens of thousands of white coats GLOBALLY is bad and unnecessary when you have someone shouting from the rooftop something that matches what you wish for.

Until you get a real peek inside that closet.

But it’s ok, you’re doubling down, might as well double it again.
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Legume said:
    Whatever you do, do not admit a mistake.

Double down.

Go all in on alien DNA, 5G and demon sex while you’re at it.  

One whack job with a white coat and a closet full of scary stuff doesn’t scare you.

Science and reason and evidence and the opinions of tens of thousands of white coats GLOBALLY is bad and unnecessary when you have someone shouting from the rooftop something that matches what you wish for.

Until you get a real peek inside that closet.

But it’s ok, you’re doubling down, might as well double it again.
    Dude, I shared a video. A video. I didn't editorialize or make any suppositions about the video. It was an alternate viewpoint. Everyone was quick to grab the low hanging fruit of the questionable doctor and then try to delegitimize the other doctors, but no one really addressed the underlying premise being put forward. If you can delegitimize the messenger then you don't have to critically analyze the message presented. Now if you want to make the generalization that because I shared that video then I am all in on 5G conspiracies and demon sperm then thats on you. One would think that in the time of a global crisis all avenues of care would be explored. But because the bad orange man made a claim on the efficacy of  hydroxychoriquin more effort has been made to discredit the drug than to find a way to use it as a prophylactic treatment.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31324-6/fulltext?utm_campaign=tlpr&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=89003655&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9cwundAo-vXqgw2RlarjrdNmoSP8Jey449AKGTkp1z9qxSSunfWEZIpt3R8FCcoNMpZOY8OVPGx39rJx6VNE7JiphRnK4TM3DihpzKjqk9z-4lvEE&utm_content=89003655&utm_source=hs_email

So if putting out an alternate viewpoint is the equivalent of forum seppuku and enough to get a dedicated thread to mock me then perhaps some introspection is in order. I don't care, I'm a big boy and some f'ers on a BBQ forum mocking me doesn't bother me in the least. Free speech and all. I was perhaps out of line with the personal attacks at John but it is what it is.

Carry on gents
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Putting aside the “orange man bad” nonsense, have there been any peer-reviewed studies that have indicated that HXC has any real efficacy in helping with covid-19?  

In other words, does the underlying premise have any merit?  I have an open mind and am willing to look at studies suggesting it helps.  I just haven’t seen any.

I mean the Ohio Department of Health just *banned* its use for the treatment of covid-19, and the FDA had revoked its emergency use authorization.  I assume they have pretty good reasons for doing that, and have a hard time believing it’s just the result of a deep hatred for Trump.
  • NCSmoky
    Options
    Putting aside the “orange man bad” nonsense, have there been any peer-reviewed studies that have indicated that HXC has any real efficacy in helping with covid-19?  

In other words, does the underlying premise have any merit?  I have an open mind and am willing to look at studies suggesting it helps.  I just haven’t seen any.

I mean the Ohio Department of Health just *banned* its use for the treatment of covid-19, and the FDA had revoked its emergency use authorization.  I assume they have pretty good reasons for doing that, and have a hard time believing it’s just the result of a deep hatred for Trump.
    Well it has been used for decades to treat malaria with prolonged usage so it must be somewhat innocuous. I believe to be effective for covid-19 it needs to be combined with azithromycin. My point being that the situation seems dire enough that more effort should be put towards finding a way to make the combo useful rather than the cited lancet study that was retracted to debunk its effectiveness. We are taking risks with the proposed vaccines by speeding them through trials why not attempt the same with a potential prophylactic treatment. There are big players with a lot of money at stake betting on a vaccine I'm not naive enough to think that they would not try to suppress alternate treatments to protect their investments.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

Well it has been used for decades to treat malaria with prolonged usage so it must be somewhat innocuous. I believe to be effective for covid-19 it needs to be combined with azithromycin. My point being that the situation seems dire enough that more effort should be put towards finding a way to make the combo useful rather than the cited lancet study that was retracted to debunk its effectiveness. We are taking risks with the proposed vaccines by speeding them through trials why not attempt the same with a potential prophylactic treatment. There are big players with a lot of money at stake betting on a vaccine I'm not naive enough to think that they would not try to suppress alternate treatments to protect their investments.
    That’s generally not the view being put forward in the video though, just so we’re clear.  In that video Dr Immanuel is suggesting it’s a cure for covid-19 and that people don’t need to wear masks.  That’s why it’s been pulled from just about every social media platform.

As for studies showing the lack of efficacy of HCQ, it’s not just the Lancet one.  Here’s a link to one of the more recent ones that was reported in the New England Journal of Medicine:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014

You can read it for yourself and come to your own conclusions of course, but the basic takeaway is that it didn’t help at all.  

Confirmation bias works both ways.  Unfortunately it seems clear that some folks have assumed that HCQ was being dismissed simply because Trump was pushing it, and so they decided to run out and get it themselves, because if liberals were against it then it must be good.  But real, robust science doesn’t care about the politics and certainly isn’t influenced by it.  If only we had more people who understood that.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I got my test results back....

ALIEN DNA

Options

ALIEN DNA

Are you pregnant?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

ALIEN DNA

Are you pregnant?
    Sure, being a "hippy chic" and all that...
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

ALIEN DNA

Are you pregnant?
    Sure, being a "hippy chic" and all that...
    Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Options
    It is an approved treatment for malaria because of controlled clinical trials.  So is azithromycin.  So is the medicine in your cabinet. That’s how it works.  Off label uses get trials as well, if justified.  There may be trials going on now for hydroxychloroquin if it was felt to be scientifically sound, you could probably google that.  

It’s easy to demonize an entire industry and assume it’s all about the money, what is industry isn’t trying to make money.  Big conspiracy theory that good drugs are suppressed because they’re cheap or free.  But you’re indicting a huge scientific and medical community when you do that, including doctors that treat your family and staff the hospitals around you.

And don’t play - hey, I just posted it, didn’t say I agree with it.  Nobody is fooled by that.

I think everyone here regardless of their political or ideological leaning wishes it worked too, because we need an effective treatment, we need something preventative.
  • frazzdaddy
    Options
    Is this a good time to point out that caliking is an actual medical doctor?
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Might not be a very good one though. Haven't worn a white coat in 10+ yrs (scares the kids).

Definitely haven't spouted bizarre claims about medical treatments on the steps of venerated institutions, in an attempt to illegitimately appropriate their credibility. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options
    Come at the Cali King, you best not miss...
  • frazzdaddy
    Options

Them some crazyeyes
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Kitten done be a biter
    Options
     "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  

Given the state of science education, I'm not surprised that people believe silly stuff.  Sometimes I wonder if 12 grades is an acceptable baseline-education in the modern world.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My company divested from pharmaceuticals, in favor of doing medical research with genetics.

The last success we had in pharma, was the development of the first male dosage to be used as a contraceptive.

You took it the morning after, and it changed both your DNA and Blood type.

Never made it to market.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Options
    Hydroxychloroquine will no longer be available to treat COVID-19 in Ohio, the state's pharmacy board ruled. Despite the FDA's retracted emergency authorization for the drug in COVID-19 in June, patients in Ohio could still technically take the antimalarial off-label to treat the disease. The pharmacy board insisted that the move wasn't tied to recent attempts by President Donald Trump—as recently as this week—to push the fallen treatment despite widely published data on its ineffectiveness in COVID-19. 
  • Legume
    Options
    That didn’t post as I hoped.  Gov DeWine pushed the board to pull back on the ban and they did a little bit.

The link in the clip above has the full article, but here is the relevant clip.  

That regulation change has since been pulled back by the board though. Instead, the board now plans to re-examine the issue with the assistance of the State Medical Board of Ohio, clinical experts, and other stakeholders to determine its next steps, according to an announcement.

The board’s shift came after Gov. Mike DeWine asked the state pharmacy board on Thursday morning to rescind its plan to ban hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine as treatments for the virus.

DeWine said the decision of how to treat COVID-19 should instead be between patients and their doctors.

“The Board of Pharmacy and the State Medical Board of Ohio should revisit the issue, listen to the best medical science, and open the process up for comment and testimony from experts,” DeWine said in a prepared statement.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    That didn’t post as I hoped.  Gov DeWine pushed the board to pull back on the ban and they did a little bit.

The link in the clip above has the full article, but here is the relevant clip.  

That regulation change has since been pulled back by the board though. Instead, the board now plans to re-examine the issue with the assistance of the State Medical Board of Ohio, clinical experts, and other stakeholders to determine its next steps, according to an announcement.

The board’s shift came after Gov. Mike DeWine asked the state pharmacy board on Thursday morning to rescind its plan to ban hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine as treatments for the virus.

DeWine said the decision of how to treat COVID-19 should instead be between patients and their doctors.

“The Board of Pharmacy and the State Medical Board of Ohio should revisit the issue, listen to the best medical science, and open the process up for comment and testimony from experts,” DeWine said in a prepared statement.

Upstream I said that the science doesn't care about the politics. Unfortunately, the converse does not hold as well.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Better to burn a chicken than a 16 lb prime brisket.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95