Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT When you fail OT

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
edited July 2020 in Off Topic
You do the best you can to provide and protect those you love. You do the research, you study, you teach. You remind them every single minute of every single day to be careful going about their lives. you buy them masks, hand sanitizer, whatever you can to protect them. You remain in touch, you follow up, you take care of them the best you can possibly do.

I tried not to be over bearing, tried to keep from being too intrusive. I failed.

I failed at protecting, I failed at not being an overbearing old person watching out for our adult children.

Being a father is wonderful, with children that love you. Being a father is horrible, when something happens to them.

Covid19 has now touched our lives. Keep your thoughts positive for those going through this. Our child was recently exposed to someone who is carrying Covid19, who has been recently placed in the ICU.

She was informed today. Our daughter's testing is tomorrow.

Take a moment to remind your friends and loved ones to be vigilant and be careful.

Stay safe, Stay well.

Peace.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    In my thoughts and Prayers 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    prayers and well wishes.  just went thru this with my sister who is now recovered a couple weeks now. scary times. hope her the best
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    You did not and you will not. She has her parents strength . Prayers my friend.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Hoping for the best possible outcome here. I don't know you outside of this forum, but doubt very much there is anything you have or have not done that you should second-guess yourself over.
    Stillwater, MN
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I wish your daughter a speedy recovery!

My daughter got it in early June, she was lucky to have a very mild case and no severe symptoms.  She lives alone so we facetimed and checked in quite a bit, delivered groceries/meals to her door, etc. The rest of my family (my daughters are older but we were together one weekend) tested negative.  The test is simple, but feels funny to have something go that far into your head.  More empty space than I thought was there.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Our thoughts are with you and your family Ron.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I pray your daughter’s friend recovers, and that your daughter tests negative.  Hang in there!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Prayers for you and your family Ron. You did not fail, you can only guide them in the right direction which I am positive you did. They have to live their own lives and make their own decisions much like I am sure you did many moons ago. Hope to see you soon.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    In my thoughts and prayers Ron. Speedy recovery for your daughter 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    As mentioned above, you did all the correct parenting you could do.  That said, it does not ease what you are facing now.  She and your family will get thru this.  I am sure the wait for the testing and then result is wearing quite heavily.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Best wishes to your daughter, your family and your daughter's friend. You didn't fail. The best thing you can do now is to be positive for her. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    lousubcap said:
    As mentioned above, you did all the correct parenting you could do.  That said, it does not ease what you are facing now.  She and your family will get thru this.  I am sure the wait for the testing and then result is wearing quite heavily.  
    He may need a glass of red wine to help him think more clearly.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    My friend we do our best then we give them car keys. We do our best and we allow them to date. There are many times in our life as a parent that we release them into the world and pray for their safety. You didn’t fail. That doesn’t ease your worry. 
    I pray your daughter and her friend emerge safely. Acknowledge your fear but don’t allow that to consume you. Be the loving father you have always been. I wish you peace my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Jesus, I thought you were going to say she held up a bank!

I wish I could have failed like you. You raised an apparently good person who caught a disease out of her control. Keep the focus where it belongs, and help her through it.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but sometimes we need it.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    All my thoughts and prayers
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Ron, we let our youngest go see my parents in the middle of nowhere Oregon for around a month. There was an understanding that they would be super careful because she was there. Fast forward to the pick up. We get home the day after and mom calls me to tell me that one of her coworkers had just tested positive. Mom and her coworker went to lunch together a day prior. 
    Needless to say, I was pretty p!used. Not only was she not that careful, but we spent the night with them on the meet up in their travel trailer. The two weeks that passed were the slowest. Luckily we never came down with symptoms.
    You can only control what you can control. Prayers to your family.
    Las Vegas, NV

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Many prayers for you and your family, brother Ron!  You can only guide so much.  The scary thing is once they lave the door, they have free will and will be their own person and make their own choices.

You and Suzy are amazing people and friends to many, and I am sure you are great parents as well.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    You definitely didn’t fail.  I felt the same way some weeks back when I exposed my whole family.  Wife and two year old both tested positive as well.  Luckily everything turned out fine for all of us.  Super easy to get, no way to control exposure at all.  In my opinion unless you just stay contained in a bug out cave until a antivirus is available you’re at risk.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Chin up and keep on chuggin'.  No doubt you did what was needed.  Also, no doubt you will be on the ready to do what may be need.  God speed to you and family.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Thoughts and prayers my friend.  You did what you could, I know folks who have taken every precaution and still gotten it.

Based on the virulent nature of this disease, chances are all people will be eventually impacted by it.  Whether directly or close family.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    As stated above, we're all going to feel this. No matter how diligent we try to be about preventing, or not transmitting, infection. 

That doesn't do much to ease the worry of a parent. Fingers crossed that your daughter is (and stays) well. And that her friend recovers soon. Given what is known thus far, youth is on their side. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Prayers for you and family Ron. Hope your daughter is fine and her friend recovers quickly. Stay safe brother..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Stopped at a friend's house yesterday, few blocks from my shop....socially distanced out on the back patio.  He and his wife recovered from it.  He was sick for a day, she was sick for 10.
    My sister had it in March, she had flu symptoms for 2 weeks. She STILL has not regained the sense of smell or taste. She lives in a house with her 9 kids and husband. Nobody else has shown ANY symptoms. Nobody else has been tested though.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Wishing your daughter good health and her friend a speedy recovery. Keeping you guys in my prayers for a good outcome. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Stopped at a friend's house yesterday, few blocks from my shop....socially distanced out on th koi e back patio.  He and his wife recovered from it.  He was sick for a day, she was sick for 10.
    The variability in effects on people is what’s crazy. I have three personal friends that have contracted COVID. One felt bad for about 1 1/2 days - didn’t even give it to his wife. The other couple is struggling. It’s kicking their azz. They haven’t been hospitalized but have been feeling really rotten for the last 8 days and still feel bad. They are taking nebulizer treatments and feel like chit. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Off on a tangent here.

Thoughts and prayers? 

Or science and actions?

Just askin'.
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    What's wrong with both? I've always believed you need to pray like there is a God and do actions like there is no God. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Sorry about the situation. I have known of many, many people who have been exposed to someone who actually had the virus. Thankfully none of the exposed people contracted the virus.