Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redemption ribs

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2020 in Off Topic
Needed to run some ribs back after the last ones that got away from me.  Didn’t get any progression pics, but here is the finished product.

Took 3 hours at 250ish on the Vault.  Oak and cherry mix, and glazed with homebrew sauce cut with equal parts ACV.
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    If you needed redemption, these would do the trick.  However, you did not need redemption.  Enjoy them, they look fantastic.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spot on perfect from here!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Those look damn good!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look great and suddenly I'm hungry for ribs.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice back on the horse cook. I know that’s not horse ribs......thought I should clarify. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Nuce @cazzy, even pull back all the way
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Yeah, that is more than a redemption man. You drop kicked it from a 15 ft platform, then picked it up and pile drove it about 5 ft into the ground, then stuck a firework up its butt.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Very nice redemption...Ribs look great.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Boo Ya!
    O-Town, FL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2020
    Options
    These are really beautiful. They look perfect. Are they Compart Duroc?  and do you have any good resources on running the Vault? I bought one and have barely used it. I burned up most of my basket just getting to temp

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job on the ribs Cazzy

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Yummy looking wibbies!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I wasn't craving ribs, but I sure am right now. Those looks remarkably good!
    Stillwater, MN
  • cazzy
    Options
    These are really beautiful. They look perfect. Are they Compart Duroc?  and do you have any good resources on running the Vault? I bought one and have barely used it. I burned up most of my basket just getting to temp

They were nothing special, Saint Louis Cut from Kroger.  I run my vault very unconventional.  I use a 4-6" row of charcoal to get it to temp, then I just add one large chunk of post oak (and cherry for ribs) to maintain.  Once it carbonizes, I break it and another chunk.  That keeps me around 250-260.

• cazzy
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy

You are supposed to use a weed burner to heat up the internal walls and grates.  Maybe that's a step you missed and would make it much longer to get to temp.  I'll actually skip that step and add ice water to the main chamber when I do bacon.  Kinda like a cold-ish smoke hack.