Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mortans Salt and Pepper Brisket

Options
Hey Everyone,

I am smoking my first beef brisket tonight. I picked up a 4 lb Mortan's pre-seasoned salt and pepper brisket. I usually don't buy pre-seasoned meat but it was on super sale. I have a couple questions.

1. Should I add any additional seasoning or would doing so make it too salty?
  2. Would rinsing off their seasoning and adding my own be advisable?
  3. On the Mortan's website it says to pull the meat off at 160 degrees. I have read that most people pull their briskets at 200 degrees. This is a small 4 lb brisket so what would you recommend pulling it at?  
Thanks!

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I wouldn't add any additional seasoning. 
    I wouldn't. 
    I'm going to assume it's not precooked?  If not I would go until you can stick something in the thickest part of the flat with no resistance. That's usually I'm the 195-205 degree range. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    Options
    One time this guy in a store stepped on my sneakers, and then poured Morton salt on them. 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• klosurdo
    klosurdo Posts: 43
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Turned out good. Would have liked a better bark but with the reduced cook time do to the small size it was not possible. Seasoning in package was ok. Was done in about 6 hrs and surprisingly tender. Can’t wait to try a bigger one next time!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Looks like a Winner, not a fan of pre seasoned protein but looks like you hit it right 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    That does look good.  Well played.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.