Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Vintage Refrigerator Worth Fixing?

GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,358
Hi
I have a very old fridge that was purchased new by my parents in the late 40’s or very early 50’s.  It has worked perfectly until the other day and it finally quit. I don’t hear any noise when I plug it in but the light inside still works.  I was considering taking the time to repair it and move it to the garage but I’m not sure how to proceed from here?  Any suggestions?  Around here the repair guys charge a fee to look at your repair and then basically just order new parts at great expense.  I don’t want to waste money on it and find there are no parts available.
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    edited June 2020
    If you've ever wanted a cold smoker , how's your chance...id snag it in a heartbeat and convert it ..it would be a beautiful Smokehouse 

It's certainly can still be used as a fridge but it's going to crap out on you when you need it most 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Can you post a picture, please?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if i let mine thaw out too long defrosting i have to put a block of ice in the freezer section and plug it back in. it seems to jump start it. worth trying.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Why bother? Modern ones use a lot less electricity. They'd have to go to a museum to find parts anyway. I'd convert it into something else or drag it to the curb and call the waste company.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• fishlessman
    Kayak said:
    Why bother? Modern ones use a lot less electricity. They'd have to go to a museum to find parts anyway. I'd convert it into something else or drag it to the curb and call the waste company.

the modern ones last 10 years before replacing them, the old ones last a lifetime. my shop 1930's ge still has the original  shelving =)
    fukahwee maine

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    lkapigian said:
    If you've ever wanted a cold smoker , how's your chance...id snag it in a heartbeat and convert it ..it would be a beautiful Smokehouse 

It's certainly can still be used as a fridge but it's going to crap out on you when you need it most 

This was my initial thought.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    in terms of a useful fridge, absolutely not. in terms of an antique and nostalgia, I suppose so.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Lots of people are converting them to smokers. Either offset firebox or pellet mostly. 
  • fishlessman
    they make great beer fridges.  ive seen a few airbrushed for the cave

Details about kelvinator antique refrigeratorcustom paintman

fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Your handle says you live in the bush. I would lay it on its back and use it for dry food storage out in a shed.  Here in Ohio our power company will buy your old freezer or refer for $50 and pick it up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    I agree with others. Make something out of it if you can’t restore it. I’ve seen guys make toolboxes for their shop out of them. And I’ve also seen people add wheels and make movable pantry’s out of them.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    Against the grain here... I'd fix it. The trouble you may run into is that the refrigerant used may be ammonia. If thats the case it makes it much harder. Even if its R12 it may cost a pretty good amount to get it working. Could be a fan motor or something more simple though.....
  • thetrim
    I found this picture of a vintage dishwasher

Washing dishes by hand for 19 years...then buying a gold and ...
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @JethroBodeen if it wont power on refrigerant its not likely the problem. I agree though might be a simple fix

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you fix the electrical problem and find it low on freon, Hot Shot 2 is an R12 substitute and it's compatible with mineral oil.
    A curing chamber comes to mind, but it needs to run some for that. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • GlennM
    Here’s a photo 

• lkapigian
    edited July 2020
    GlennM said:
    Here’s a photo 

She’s a beaut Clark.....just take it, you’ll figure out what to do with it 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    I would be fixing that for sure. Simple controls on that thing. Electrical issue wont be hard to narrow down....
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    If you hear no noise at all I would think the culprit to be an open thermostat. Simple to test without a voltmeter. Just unplug fridge and connect wires from each side of t-stat together. If it runs when plugged in, you can find a t-stat that will work at a refrigeration store. Johnstone Supply. Grainger. Many others. If it has a slight humm and a light click intermittently it may be the starting relay on the compressor. There are universal 3 in 1 relays that can be used as replacements for near all relay/overload setups of any vintage.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • GlennM
    CtTOPGUN said:
    If you hear no noise at all I would think the culprit to be an open thermostat. Simple to test without a voltmeter. Just unplug fridge and connect wires from each side of t-stat together. If it runs when plugged in, you can find a t-stat that will work at a refrigeration store. Johnstone Supply. Grainger. Many others. If it has a slight humm and a light click intermittently it may be the starting relay on the compressor. There are universal 3 in 1 relays that can be used as replacements for near all relay/overload setups of any vintage.
    Thank you, that was the information I was hoping for. I hear no noise so I will try the thermostat first. I would love to clean up the paint and use this as a summer beer fridge for the garage !
  • fishlessman
    with these it could be as simple as corrosion where the plug bolts on, i would start there. remember to jump start it with ice in the ice box, ive had to do that with a few different fridges. ive never had a fridge newer than the 1970's
    fukahwee maine

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Could possibly be a start capacitor gone open?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • thetrim
    @lkapigian I think we should all chip in and buy your fridge for @lousubcap
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GlennM
    with these it could be as simple as corrosion where the plug bolts on, i would start there. remember to jump start it with ice in the ice box, ive had to do that with a few different fridges. ive never had a fridge newer than the 1970's
    What is the reason for the ice?
  • fishlessman
    GlennM said:

seems to get things flowing in some fridges, i came about it by accident with a dead fridge and needing it to chill some beer. i put ice and beer in the freezer and the fridge started working again in a few hours. the fridge was shut down in a rental apartment for a month
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    GlennM said:

seems to get things flowing in some fridges, i came about it by accident with a dead fridge and needing it to chill some beer. i put ice and beer in the freezer and the fridge started working again in a few hours. the fridge was shut down in a rental apartment for a month
    ^^^^^^^^^^This,let the ice do the heavy lifting and absorb some of the heat, gives extra capacity
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JethroBodeen
    @JethroBodeen if it wont power on refrigerant its not likely the problem. I agree though might be a simple fix

@alaskanassasin didn't read the no noise part just "should I fix it or not".
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I would fix it just to have something to remember my parents with! Every time you look at it you'll remember your Mom or Dad opening it to get something!