Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Smoker Fell Into My Lap. I Couldn't Resist

Options
13»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    @HeavyG

Do you guys use the top cover with a live fire going?

I played around with it on and off the last cook. I noticed after adding splits it would build up white smoke (I'd assume the lack of oxygen while the splits are trying to ignite) but would dissappear shortly after. Do you guys hold off and wait to put the top cover back on until everything is fully ignited? It didn't seem long enough where the white smoke was going to effect anything. 

Im interested to hear if you do use the top and when?

Thanks 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    @HeavyG

Do you guys use the top cover with a live fire going?

I played around with it on and off the last cook. I noticed after adding splits it would build up white smoke (I'd assume the lack of oxygen while the splits are trying to ignite) but would dissappear shortly after. Do you guys hold off and wait to put the top cover back on until everything is fully ignited? It didn't seem long enough where the white smoke was going to effect anything. 

Im interested to hear if you do use the top and when?

Thanks 
    I never use the top. I actually usually stack a piece of wood sticking out over the top of the firebox just to get it breaking down a little quicker. I’ve read bill talk about both (using the lid and stacking an extra piece of wood). It was a while ago so I don’t really recall what he was saying about the lid. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Plus it would get so hot you would have to wear gloves to add wood. I’m not putting in gloves every time I want to poke the fire or add wood. It would be non-stop 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Like @The Cen-Tex Smoker said, most of the time you probably won't see any smoke from the exhaust. That's assuming that you have a good fire going and a good coal bed.
    I only asked if you saw any smoke coming out of the exhaust because if you start closing the bottom poppet you'll likely get a visual indication from the exhaust - in the form of visible smoke - that you are pulling more "dirty" smoke from the top. That might help you get a feel for what's happening with the poppets.

In regards to the lid, I almost never use the lid on the firebox. When I first got mine I did use the lid most of the time. I didn't find that it provided any significant advantage (perhaps other than saving a bit of fuel) so I don't bother with it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk