Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Whole Turbot

Options
I thought this might be of interest. Very simple.
I bought a whole gutted turbot.
You need to put in some form of Turbot cage (or make one from a couple of racks wired together)
Set BGE to direct
Set it to around 200c
Start with the dark side of the turbot and then rotate (flip) every 3 - 4 minutes 
All the time baste with a mix of 30% olive oil, 70% water and as much good quality sea salt as can be dissolved into the mix.
A 1.5Kilo Turbot takes around 20 minutes.

A Turbot is a winged fish and so you need to make sure the middle (core) is cooked to around 60c whilst not burning the outer wings. You will see from the pictures that I used two 1/2 moons to deflect the heat

Have fun

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Very nice!
    I use to catch and eat a lot of flounder back in the day but I have never cooked one whole - always fileted them. Might have to cook a whole one sometime.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love flounder. Cool set up, will have try that. My seafood game is lacking. Need to ratchet it up.

Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Great post and technique.  Thanks.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What????

Awesome work.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JonHalestrap
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Great post and technique.  Thanks.
    Cheers... Appreciate that