Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got a L EGG for an early Father’s Day present!

Options
Since I’m working from home these days I’m going to give it a test run tomorrow morning with some pulled pork.  I’m a bit scared because I have only ever grilled with my Weber gas grill.  I’m watches a lot of videos on getting it up and running and temp control and food a recipe that looks good.  I bought a Thermpro dual probe thermometer so I hope to stick to the temp guidelines.  I’ve always worried that those cables coming out of the grill would hurt the gasket/seal but it seems like a lot of people use them.  This should also be a good first cook if I can pull it off since it keeps the temp below 350 per the guidelines for the first cook to break in the gasket.   I hope this works well because it would be great to cook like this during the work week!

looking forward to being a member here!
Mike

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options
    Welcome! I'm glad you found the forum. Ask away with any questions you might have. Always someone here to help out. Enjoy the BGE! 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome!

Pulled pork is a great cook to start with. No worries about the temp probe wires damaging the gasket. 

When you have some time, light a fire without any plans to cook, and play with the vent settings. It’ll give you an idea about how to set a certain temp, hold it steady, how to adjust , etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Welcome to the jungle and hang on....it's a great ride!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Welcome.  Hope you don't get mistaken for @CTMike!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • MikeCT
    MikeCT Posts: 39
    Options
    Ha!  I’ll keep an eye out for that!

Mike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Must be a good dad, welcome 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Get you egg stabilized to your desired temp for a bit before throwing the pork on. You don’t want to put it on with the initial thick smoke. Also pay close attention to your temp as you don’t want to overshoot, it’s tougher to lower the temp than raise it. As you get more familiar with the temp settings it will become easier. 

Pork butt was my first cook as well, about nine years ago. Even found a bad quality pic of it.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I'm far from an expert here, but when you put the pork on and the temp drops don't worry about it.   It WILL rebound....if you're shooting for 250 and the egg wants to go to 275 or even 300 just let it go.  Don't try and chase temperature for your first cook...It won't make a lot of difference. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• MikeCT
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Congrats and welcome!

Get you egg stabilized to your desired temp for a bit before throwing the pork on. You don’t want to put it on with the initial thick smoke. Also pay close attention to your temp as you don’t want to overshoot, it’s tougher to lower the temp than raise it. As you get more familiar with the temp settings it will become easier. 

Pork butt was my first cook as well, about nine years ago. Even found a bad quality pic of it.

Thanks!  I remember that from the videos about the smoke changing to a haze, and to slow it down earlier and not overshoot.  I’m giving myself an hour before I have to go to the “office” (which tomorrow is a patio table next to the EGG) to really keep any eye on the temp to get it up to the 275 and stabilize it.  This is going to be really cool.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    MikeCT said:
    Cornholio said:
    Congrats and welcome!

Thanks!  I remember that from the videos about the smoke changing to a haze, and to slow it down earlier and not overshoot.  I’m giving myself an hour before I have to go to the “office” (which tomorrow is a patio table next to the EGG) to really keep any eye on the temp to get it up to the 275 and stabilize it.  This is going to be really cool.

Don't overthink it.  A clean egg can get hot fast.  Keep your vents mostly closed, and your temp stable and you'll be fine.  Don't make any changes without having a beer to think about it.
    NOLA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Welcome Aboard!!  Have some fun, eat well, and take pictures because if no pictures it didn't happen!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Just as you master one cook you’ll hear of another and the learning - and rewards, roll on. 
    There’s always another accessory, to buy - too. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all.  Congratulations!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • MikeCT
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Should I rely on the ThermPro BBQ temp or the BGE temp on the dome?   I’ve had the pork in for about an hour and the Thermpro temp is about 10 degrees higher than the BGE dome temp dial.   I think the answer should be the Thermpro since it’s closer to the heat source but wanted to double check in case the BGE thermometer adjusts for that distance somehow.
  • Cornholio
    Options
    MikeCT said:
    Should I rely on the ThermPro BBQ temp or the BGE temp on the dome?   I’ve had the pork in for about an hour and the Thermpro temp is about 10 degrees higher than the BGE dome temp dial.   I think the answer should be the Thermpro since it’s closer to the heat source but wanted to double check in case the BGE thermometer adjusts for that distance somehow.
    I go off dome temp and a probe in the meat. I don’t even bother with a probe at the grate. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,552
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I got my first egg for Father's Day too, over a decade ago. I still say it was my family's conspiracy to get me into cooking. As the cliche goes, the rest is history.
    Enjoy!
    canuckland
  • divided_wood
    Options
    Are you me? I got a large BGE as an early gift for Father's Day and am going to try a turbo pork butt tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Have cooked a few other things already, but this will be my first long cook. Good luck with yours! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,435
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    To the two dads who scored the BGE's, you are living right!  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Great gift! 

And you're also now the full time vacuumer?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,353
    Options
    Welcome! We're a friendly bunch (Most of the time) and you'll get some great info here. Don't forget to post pics
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,435
    Options
    Bringing the A game right out of the gate.  Nailed it.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice cook.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    You’re going to screw up a few times.  Keep some brats nearby for when you do.  This is one of the best gifts you’ll ever receive.  I’ve owned an egg for over 14 years & cook on it at least 4 times a week.  You’re going to love it!
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    congrats on the gift and a great cook. 
  • Cornholio
    Options
    Nice work! When you dive into pizzas on the egg, bbq pulled pork pizza is hard to beat. 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Looks like you nailed it!  Congrats and welcome!
  • MikeCT
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I just bought a couple of pizza stones, the mat, and whatever the pizza shovel is called.  We’re going to try pizzas on Father’s Day.  That should be a blast.  I’m going to fool around with it this week to see how it goes getting and maintaining a 500 temp (per the mat).  I got really lucky keeping it low.  I saw a lot of people hear talking about not overshooting the temp target which was beyond helpful. 

One area that I definitely have to try to figure out is temp control after I open the dome for a bit.  With the pork when I took it off to wrap it in foil I closed the dome right away but the temp dropped a lot and I opened the vents a bit and it hit 300 fast.  I guess this is the opposite of the gas grill in a way because opening it it like opening the vents on steroids which kicks up the temp momentum a lot.

that said - the EGG is just awesome.

Mike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,681
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the madness!   A couple of notes from your last comment. Pizza peel. Pizza can be a real challenge, sticking to the peel, stone, burning. Be sure and read up on this before tackling.
      Once you get your egg temp dialed in you don’t need to fool with it, after opening and closing the lid it will settle back to the temperature it was at before. Same with protein, if your cruising along at 275, then throw on your protein the temperature will dip, however without intervention it will settle back to 275.   
    South of Columbus, Ohio.