Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Customer Service lately.... opinions?

Options
Personally, I’ve been extremely disappointed with BGE customer service lately. Just wondering if others are experiencing the same.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Can you be more specific? Most BGE warranty issues are handled through your dealer's distributor, not BGE directly.

I'm fortunate. I have an awesome dealer and distributor
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Disappointed how?  Warranty replacement taking too long?  Dealer jerking you around? Corporate not returning your phone calls?

Generally speaking, most issues are best handled at the dealer level.  If you're waiting on a warranty replacement, a lot of places will release their inventory to you and just assume your replacement part when it comes in. 

If your dealer is a jerk, find another one who isn't, or contact BGE corporate.  
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The Ace Hardware BGE dealer where I bought my large is a jerk. Two weeks of trying to get a replacement firebox. "You have to talk to Alan, but he's not here." (On break, at lunch, at the bank, his day off). No return phone calls. I had the same problem with that Ace when trying to get the replacement bands a few years ago.

I sent a whine-o-gram to BGE and received the warranty authorization within 24 hours. Fortunately there are two Ace franchises here. I went to the other franchise and walked out with the new firebox in about 15 minutes. Thank-you @speed51133 for your suggestion to go to a different dealer.

Good luck getting your issue resolved.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    Somewhere around the second or third week in March I contacted them about my relatively new BGE meat thermometer not working. They sent an email back asking for a part number. I responded with there is no part number, it’s a meat thermometer. I sent them a picture of the thermometer that included the serial number. Response was send us the part number. Sent it again with the photos stating there is no part number. They finally figured out what I was talking about and wanted a copy of the sales receipt, which I didn’t have and told them so. After a couple of more emails still wanting the receipt, I received a text from one of the CS reps. He asked that I text him a picture of the thermometer, like this was all new to him. April 16th...can’t replace it since we don’t sell that model anymore but we’ll get a replacement, though not a new one, out to you in the next day or so. May 5..”just checking in to see if y’all have sent out the new thermometer”...response...”glad you called...been swamped...get one out to you today...5-7 business days. In the meantime I purchased a new ring setup for my small. Three of the nuts wouldn't thread. May 13...I called and said I needed three replacement nuts and bolts. Was told they would get those out that day and be here possibly Saturday but at the latest by Monday. So i asked again (same CS rep) about the thermometer and I had to explain to him in great detail about the thermometer replacement, no receipt, etc., give him my name and address again. It was like he’d never heard this before (again). So, it is now May 22 and still no thermometer and no nuts and bolts. Really disappointing!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    Options
    Who exactly is them?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    No complaints lately. ACE did fine with assembling and delivering my new Large and the BGE computer handled registering it just fine.
    My standard complaint is that they could put a better gasket on it. Coming preassembled from the factory would be nice also, fortunately ACE handled that.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My dealer was ACE Hardware and they're amazingly quick to respond and 100% helpful. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Who exactly is them?
    Sorry I thought I was being clear when I said “BGE Customer Service”

Ronald Reagan

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I feel your pain. This Tuesday will be my 4th time calling Capital One for a replacement credit card. The first time they sent my replacement card to my previous address. The second time they said they sent it but still had my previous address listed. The third time I called and I spelled out my address and went over my address three different times to make sure the address was entered correctly. I noticed online the address was wrong. You can't even make this up. Everytime it's an hour plus to reach a representative. So I'll have four hours of my life wasted with these idiots. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    Options
    BGE customer service could possibly have meant your local dealer. Your first contact should have been the local dealer. Although, it can be hit or miss with local dealers, some are awful, some simply are not well versed in warranty issues and the like, and some local dealers should get awards. BGE corporate can be hit or miss as well. Maybe with all what is going on lately, businesses have a good reason for delays, miscommunications, etc., but for years corporate has taken way too long to get back to customers. You are not the first to complain. Good luck.
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Wonder how Kamado Joe's CS is? Thats one way to fight back. Sell the Green and buy the Red.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Pack of nuts and bolts arrived today. Thermometer replacement remains to be seen

Ronald Reagan

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    sent in my request for a new fire bowl to the local dealer on 4/18/20, called a week later to verify they had started the warranty and have not heard from them since.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Regarding KJ customer service. I called them about a cracked firebox in the Jr. Sent them the serial number and pic and had one at the door in less than a week. Still haven't replaced it. It's sitting in the garage in its box
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Same experience with our KJ Jr. 

ColtsFan said:
    Regarding KJ customer service. I called them about a cracked firebox in the Jr. Sent them the serial number and pic and had one at the door in less than a week. Still haven't replaced it. It's sitting in the garage in its box

Arlington, TX
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    The first thing I learned when I was a service manager at a dealership was to keep in touch with the customer.  That includes any circumstance that delays a repair.  Since those days I give my business to those vendors that stay in touch, even if it costs me more to buy from them. 
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • nk3t
    nk3t Posts: 3
    Options
    BGE customer service is dismal. I have cracks in the fire box and fire ring, so contacted the dealer where I purchased the egg. They pulled their franchise so ACE hardware could be the dealer. I went to ACE, but nobody at ACE knew how to process a warranty. Now I have been dealing with BGE customer service for over 2 months and still have no progress. I am close to taking a hammer to the remains and shopping for a different brand.
  • Tracebuzta
    Tracebuzta Posts: 23
    Options
    I am also having issues, albeit in Denmark which is probably very different from the US BGE wise... 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    My thoughts on KJ service is exclusively informed by people praising/complaining in the FB group.

From what I can tell their warranty service is very streamlined.  Submit claim online, shipped promptly to your home.  Easy, peasy...with a catch.  They seem to have common inventory problems with long lead times on resupply.  If they have it in stock, BAM! At your door, asap.  If they don't, people seem to wait an eternity for those replacements.   Also, they seem to have had some manufacturing issues with a lot of their innovative changes.  I've seen a lot a broken temp controllers or messed up top vents online.

Personally I wish BGE would adopt some of KJ's innovative spirit.  Particularly in regard to the bands and the standardization of the multi-tier cooking grid.  Though, I would hope they wouldn't rush product to market with widespread quality issues like KJ.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    nk3t said:
    BGE customer service is dismal. I have cracks in the fire box and fire ring, so contacted the dealer where I purchased the egg. They pulled their franchise so ACE hardware could be the dealer. I went to ACE, but nobody at ACE knew how to process a warranty. Now I have been dealing with BGE customer service for over 2 months and still have no progress. I am close to taking a hammer to the remains and shopping for a different brand.
    bruce.bohannon@biggreenegg.com
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    with ace i needed a firebox, new band assembly, and thermometer. band was ready in two days, box came in 10 weeks or so, still waiting for the thermo. thats 9 months ago =) i should call them again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    1voyager said:
    The Ace Hardware BGE dealer where I bought my large is a jerk. Two weeks of trying to get a replacement firebox. "You have to talk to Alan, but he's not here." (On break, at lunch, at the bank, his day off). No return phone calls. I had the same problem with that Ace when trying to get the replacement bands a few years ago.

I sent a whine-o-gram to BGE and received the warranty authorization within 24 hours. Fortunately there are two Ace franchises here. I went to the other franchise and walked out with the new firebox in about 15 minutes. Thank-you @speed51133 for your suggestion to go to a different dealer.

Good luck getting your issue resolved.
    Is the dealer a jerk or just the person you have dealt with? Perhaps finding a person who gives a **** could be your answer.....but certainly realize there are dealers with out those kinds of folks.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Dealers are hit or miss. You do not have to go back to the dealer you purchased. Use people skills when talking to them. It really is up to them to service you (not officially but in reality). I had luck going to a local ace and telling them the furniture store I purchased from sucked and I was looking for a new go-to place for accessories, lump, when I don't want to wait for online deliveries and avoid shipping. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have been waiting 2 months for a firebox.  Called BGE and got voicemail.  Honestly this is the biggest suck of BGE. Sure they offer lifetime warranty and sure some of you have outstanding dealers, however the rest of us have to claw and fight to get parts that are warrantied. When I get my firebox, I will wait about 6 months and warranty another one just to have on hand.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I have been waiting 2 months for a firebox.  Called BGE and got voicemail.  Honestly this is the biggest suck of BGE. Sure they offer lifetime warranty and sure some of you have outstanding dealers, however the rest of us have to claw and fight to get parts that are warrantied. When I get my firebox, I will wait about 6 months and warranty another one just to have on hand.

the only good experience ive had ith warranty was with bruce at bge, every dealer ive gone thru has been a hassle and 2 to 3 months seems to be the norm around here
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    To comment on the KJ service vs BGE service, there are going to be wildly diverse stories on both sides.  I have had both, but have had eggs much longer.  I have used BGE customer service and it has been amazing.  I have witnessed people praise and complain as well.  More people complain than praise in my experience.  When something goes wrong, hundreds to thousands of people are notified via complaints on the internet and otherwise.  My KJs are recent, and only one would qualify for warranty service anyway.  I expect their service will be the same.  This is in spite of the frequent complaints I have seen in the KJ groups I am part of.  Their threads look exactly like this one.  Some people complaining about their terrible experience (that is likely correct), and then several people saying they dont have that issue, and others citing BGE as being better.  I trust this, everyone experiences problems from time to time, but those that have bad experiences make it well known.  And those that have had similar experiences of trouble pour it on.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    If I am the buffalo this post would concern me a great deal more than some of the stupid $#it posted on this forum. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @frazzdaddy If I buy another egg it will be from the bigger dealer in town, I know I could warranty through them regardless but if I am going to hassle them for warranty I would rather give them a sale first. I don't thing BGE pays dealers for their time in dealing with warranty claims.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hilton
    Hilton Posts: 41
    Options
    I had a reggulator cap break recently and contacted BGE directly. Very slow to respond to emails. They’d ask a question- I would respond and not hear back for a week at least. This went on for a month or more. Once they had all the info they wanted a new cap was sent out quickly. I was assuming low staff due to covid but who knows.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    In all fairness, BGE's warranty support falls on the dealer, not the manufacturer.  The dealer is supposed to submit to distributor, then it's fulfilled like a stocking order.  BGE is only needs to give approval on domes and bases.  That's in the dealer agreement.

That being said, then your warranty is only as good as your dealer, or their distributor.  We were told in training it was a good thing since it brought the customer back into your store at least once where they would hopefully buy more stuff. 

So, while they will step in and help the customer out if no one else will, it's non-standard and not the way it's supposed to happen......regardless what anyone thinks of how it *should* be handled.

With KJ, they as the manufacturer handle all the warranty stuff and deal directly with the customer on claims.  As a dealer, this is MUCH better for me as I don't need to do all this work for them for free.