Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Painting an egg black

Options
Testing it out on a broken egg, the egg will go in the garbage after the testing period.  This paint was a little matte for me, or maybe not.  Still deciding.  Trying to find the right paint before I turn one of my real larges into a Big Black Egg.  Anyone have paint advice on ceramic?  Not looking for health warnings, its bbq paint, and I understand it could make some readers suffer from reading my intentions.  :)

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    I think it will take more than you used.  I can still see the green.

I do not like that matte grey/black either.  A glossy black would be sexy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac, I agree, a glossy black would be better here.  I painted more of the middle section, my pic kind of shows the transition area where the coverage was weaker and you can see the green coming through.  I agree with you tho, it did take more paint than I thought.   Thanks for the feedback/input.

Love it @Fred19Flintstone !  Its funny because my wife and I drove around tonight listening to the stones.  Was good times.
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I don't think you're going to apply any paint that will hold up like baked on color, so it will not look so good after a few years.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Will make a nice flower or herb pot.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The Rustoleum High Heat has other products (Ultra Enamel, Engine enamel) that come in glossy colors, rated to 2000F. They may have a glossy black that would look nice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Are you going to sand or bead blast it first?  Seems like you would benefit from etching the glaze somehow.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Automotive single stage urethane would hold up. I've used it on engine blocks before, although not really a DIY project if you haven't sprayed before
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Are you going to sand or bead blast it first?  Seems like you would benefit from etching the glaze somehow.
    I think you are probably right.  I am not sure.  I may clean it good and just go with it.  I dont want to take off any of the green glazing, its pretty much part of the ceramic.  The dimples make traditional sanding for prep a challenge.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Automotive single stage urethane would hold up. I've used it on engine blocks before, although not really a DIY project if you haven't sprayed before
    Thanks, I am going to give this a try now.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Why not just sell your apparent step-child BGE and buy a Primo which is already glazed in black?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP said:
    Why not just sell your apparent step-child BGE and buy a Primo which is already glazed in black?
    I am an egg person.  This is the one brand I am all in on (well and Weber too).
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I found that pic doing a google search.  I think that is very cool.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK...not trying to offend you. Just curious then what is your attraction/desire to make one of your BGEs black? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    OK...not trying to offend you. Just curious then what is your attraction/desire to make one of your BGEs black? 
    Not offended.  I am making it similar to the Jamaican flag with yellow, green, and black.  I am going to paint some combination of the nest and bands yellow and green.  I am still trying to figure that out too.  My wife is an artistic person and will help me there.  The standard egg color is the wrong shade for the Jamaican flag, so I like a black egg.  The uniqueness of it I think will be pretty cool.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:
    Not offended.  I am making it similar to the Jamaican flag with yellow, green, and black.  I am going to paint some combination of the nest and bands yellow and green.  I am still trying to figure that out too.  My wife is an artistic person and will help me there.  The standard egg color is the wrong shade for the Jamaican flag, so I like a black egg.  The uniqueness of it I think will be pretty cool.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Any way to utilize the existing green of the egg and do yellow and black highlights, or use the green and paint just a portion black and yellow?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Prep is by far the most important step. Make sure the entire surface area is pristine prior to coating.

Do you plan to put the design on the BGE?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    The original Kamado Joes were available in black.

Raleigh, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pics. 

I might be seeing things, but it looks like you missed an entire side of it. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    How will this affect warranty?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    RRP said:
    RRP said:

Any way to utilize the existing green of the egg and do yellow and black highlights, or use the green and paint just a portion black and yellow?
    Considered that. The greens are not the same. Not really looking to put the flag on the egg. Right now I’m just trying colors on the broken egg. Going to stop at the auto parts store on the way back from work today and try some different shaker cans. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Prep is by far the most important step. Make sure the entire surface area is pristine prior to coating.

Do you plan to put the design on the BGE?
    Not really. I’m not sure I’m skilled enough to transfer a design. The plan right now is just using the colors for components of the egg. Prep will be a big part after I’m done testing on the broken tester egg. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    thetrim said:
    How will this affect warranty?
    Not sure, probably will void it. I’m ok with that. 

rekameohs said:
    The original Kamado Joes were available in black.

Yes they were. Bummer they stopped making them.