Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerk Chicken Thighs

Options
Eoin
Eoin Posts: 4,304
Everyone in our house likes jerk seasoning on chicken so this is a regular cook.  I cut off all of the excess skin and fat to minimise the smoke on the Egg. Cook the underside first, raised direct at around 400F, salt and pepper on the skin.

Grill the skin until crisp.

Then brush on the paste and cook until the paste is dry on the chicken.

Comments

• Eoin
    Options
    No idea how this ended up in Off Topic!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That looks awesome - almost as good as if you cooked it in 'Merica.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Looks great! I just slap on some Walkerswood paste and cook til done.

EDIT, I do marinate for 4-5 hours first. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Love jerk chicken. Did you use a commercial marinade or made your own? I'm in the lazy easy Walkerswood camp. I also tried jerk pork loin on the rotisserie couple of times and it was good too.
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    Nice looking chicken.  Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Eoin
    Options
    Love jerk chicken. Did you use a commercial marinade or made your own? I'm in the lazy easy Walkerswood camp. I also tried jerk pork loin on the rotisserie couple of times and it was good too.
    Commercial marinade, Levi Roots, best applied at the end.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    Someone must have found a flock of chickens lately. Well done!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice looking chicky!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    That chicken looks marvelous!
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options

Ha!  I'm surprised you use that stuff.  It has an awful lot of salt in it.  

The thighs look great, @Eoin!  Jerk chicken wings are one of my favorite things to cook.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options

@JohnInCarolina, I should have been more clear. The last time I used WW Hot (540 mg Na per Tbls) was in 2015. Then I discovered that, for some reason, WW's "Mild" version had only 210 mg Na. No heat though. So, I minced up a couple of habaneros to add to the Mild and all was well.

I also have a recipe for the paste (though it's more of a marinade) that's pretty good. Still tweaking that though.

I don't deprive myself of all sodium. I just try to limit it - with the occasional splurge. =)

2015 with hi-test (I think)...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

@JohnInCarolina, I should have been more clear. The last time I used WW Hot (540 mg Na per Tbls) was in 2015. Then I discovered that, for some reason, WW's "Mild" version had only 210 mg Na. No heat though. So, I minced up a couple of habaneros to add to the Mild and all was well.

I also have a recipe for the paste (though it's more of a marinade) that's pretty good. Still tweaking that though.

I don't deprive myself of all sodium. I just try to limit it - with the occasional splurge. =)

2015 with hi-test (I think)...

I've used both, and still find the mild version plenty salty.  At least for my tastes.

I usually make my own from scratch.  I really like the recipe I have, prefer the freshness, and it's easy to tweak to suit various tastes.  
  • Carolina Q
    Options

I usually make my own from scratch.  I really like the recipe I have, prefer the freshness, and it's easy to tweak to suit various tastes.  
    So, what's the recipe? =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eoin
    Options
    This is the one we use, it's good and not too salty.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

So, what's the recipe? =)
    It's the one I posted here:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2284810/#Comment_2284810

It's not my recipe, but rather out of a book.  I make a couple of adjustments, but nothing too serious.  I suggest trying it as is and see if you like it and then going from there.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, John. I'll give it a shot next time.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Love me some thighs!  Family always doesn't...  I don't know.  Something against dark meat.  But they are so flavorful.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DM me if you end up doing so.  I'd be curious how you find it compares to Walkerswood.  I actually think the flavor is pretty close, minus the salt ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    DM me if you end up doing so.  I'd be curious how you find it compares to Walkerswood.  I actually think the flavor is pretty close, minus the salt ;)
    Ha! It's been a while since I used either WW, Sodium, ya know?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut