Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tv under enclosed porch

Has anyone on here ever put an indoor tv outside in an enclosed porch?  I know this is advised against but curious if you have done it, what kind of shelf life does the tv have?  I’d bring it indoors in the winter

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I I have had a standard indoor Samsung out in my screened porch for two years, winter and summer. No problems yet
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2020
    yes i have done it many many times.  Some tips.  

Use a full articulating mount that pulls out and bends in all directions.  Makes reaching the wires etc easy Can tilt it downward due to up angle.

For any jack not used.  Get some installers bishop tape or puddy etc.  Lexal caulk works well too.  Can make it into a ball in your hand and cover the jack.  put tape over it first.  To cover all non used jacks to keep the hornets from making a nest inside.  that sucks let me tell you. 

Invest in a weatherproof cover. they are cheap.  example

Run cables neatly.

If you need internet out side for the tv get a TPlink RE650 wifi extender that has an eithernet jack output as well on the bottom.  If the tv doesnt have wifi but has eithernet you can mount this on the back with industrial velcro and plug the tv into it.  It will think its plugged in to the internet directly and also the extender will extend the wifi 15000 feet.  As well as it will fit under the cover.  if your using direct tv the boxes they do not need to see the the IR line of site so velcro that to the back of the tv as well.  All will fit under the cover and easy access to pull out articulating mount to remove cover.

Lastly.  use a good surge protector just in case.  But I install them all the time.

Menards has good and yet cheap mounts.  Average tv was a walmart.  3-4 years still working.  IF you hang a 2nd similar mount in the not used protion of a garage or basement you can lift it off from outside and transfer to the other mount so it doesnt get broken. 

Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    you can get one made cheap or even find ready mades here and on amazon.

Columbus, Ohio
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I live in Tennessee and have a covered porch with a Plasma TV on it. No issues whatsoever.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've had a tv outside in South MS heat and humidity. for 5 years and it still works!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    The biggest thing you need to look at is making sure you have enough brightness on the TV.  Even on a covered porch if you can see the sun it's going to mess with your eyes and you want to make sure your TV and get bright.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• To piggyback on that question, anybody have recommendations for a tv out in an exposed area?  We were thinking about using a weatherproof enclosure similar to a tv shield or storm shell but the reviews on amazon are iffy.  
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Yup I have a 50” 4K Vizio. No issues so far with brightness or weather. Then again it’s located about 14’ in every direction from any kind of direct threat of moisture.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    I have a 40” toshiba that I bought from Walmart in my covered cabana  It’s suspended on a 360 swivel mount hanging from a corner of the ceiling, meaning it is not protected from the side by a wall. You can see it in the near left corner in the photo. I’ve had this setup since 2012 with no issues. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    not outdoors, but I have a samsung in my master bath and  gets its fair amount of moisture everyday......5 years, still ticking 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    They are far more resilient than people think. No worries at all. 
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    To piggyback on that question, anybody have recommendations for a tv out in an exposed area?  We were thinking about using a weatherproof enclosure similar to a tv shield or storm shell but the reviews on amazon are iffy.  
    I have one. Bought a cheap Toshiba 50-sumthin inch and put it on a quick release type mount so it’s easy to put up and take down. Takes about 2 mins to do either and the fixed part of the mount just stays on the wall year round. In the summer, I leave it out with a weather resistant cover unless we’re going to get a nasty weather. I couldn’t justify the expense of an outdoor tv or a weatherproof enclosure for the few months of decent outdoor living weather we get in New England. The tv was only $225 or so, you can buy a lot of those before you even sniff the price of a legit outdoor HD tv of the same size. 

• My wife is awesome.  We were sitting on the deck discussing adding a tv the other day.  Not knowing what her reaction would be I made comment that we need at least a 55"out there.  She said whaaat, I was thinking at least a 70."  
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Nothing fancy, but simple. I just take the 32 inch out of the guest room and set it up outside for Gameday. Fire stick makes life easy

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    60” Samsung smart here. It’s about 12’ from any direct exposure. Make sure you get extended warranty. It’s literally no questions asked Swap out. Mine going on 4 years with no issues. 
  • Thanks for all the feedback. Grabbed a cheap 50 inch TCL I’ll be setting up this week. Any suggestions on hiding cord somewhat. I’m hanging on vinyl siding. 
  • G_S
    G_S Posts: 62

65 inch.
    Went with a Roku smart TV.
    So all I have is one power cable ran into the ceiling.

Bought the cheapest one I could find.
    Bought the warranty.
    When it blows up
    I will just replace it 

Buying & replacing is cheaper than buying a outdoor specific TV.

• jdMyers
    Yes sir.  Every other row of siding can lift off.  Take extension cord along Jay channel up to the row.  Tuck cord behind sidingnover to tv.  Slip out a seam and plug tv in behind tv.  Snap siding back down.  Menards for piviting adjustable mount.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I have a 12’ by 12’ cover patio adjacent 12’ by 18’ uncovered deck.  My deck looks due west and last week we had a storm came in on the covered porch and got everything wet 7’ up even 12’ into the deck. 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Mine is outside and I live in Midland, TX where there are dust storms and it’s a million degrees outside. I bought a cover off of amazon for pennies.  50” it’s on its 4year. Only regret is it’s a ROKU TV.  Never again. Hate the remote.  It would have to literally rain sideways for it to get wet. I forget to cover it all the time. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Samsung just released their Terrace Tv which while at a premium is very nice competitor for the sunbrite TVs. Very bright, full array lighting, rated for full sun exposure, qled colors, Samsung image processor. Very welcome to see someone else release an outdoor tv.

Brandon - Ohio

• jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited June 2023
    1. Risk of Damage: Indoor TVs are not designed to withstand outdoor elements like moisture, temperature extremes, or direct sunlight. Exposure to these elements can lead to damage, including internal component failure, screen discoloration, or loss of functionality.

2. Limited Warranty: Using an indoor TV outside may void the manufacturer's warranty. Most warranties explicitly state that the TV should be used in indoor environments only.

3. Shortened Lifespan: Even with precautions such as bringing the TV indoors during winter, outdoor conditions can still have an impact on the Patio TV Installation services lifespan. Moisture, humidity, and temperature fluctuations can gradually degrade the TV's internal components over time.

4. Alternative Solutions: If you want to have a TV in your enclosed porch, it's advisable to invest in a purpose-built outdoor TV. Outdoor TVs are specifically designed to withstand outdoor conditions, with weatherproof enclosures and components that can tolerate a wider temperature range and moisture exposure. These TVs are better equipped to handle the challenges of outdoor environments and typically come with extended warranties.

While some individuals may have experimented with using indoor TVs outside, it's important to remember that their experiences may vary. It's always best to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations to ensure the optimal performance and longevity of your TV.