Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something I do with left over pulled pork.

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
Pulled pork is great to freeze. I take mine, roll them (tight and compact), up like 1# logs, put them in the food saver and freeze.

When they thaw they look kinda like pork tenderloin, and slice easily.

Easy to pull apart if needed to make sammies nachos or whatever.

Makes meal planning diverse and easy.
Tonight BBQ sammies and baked potatoes.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• YukonRon
    just some quick low tech goodness....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 288
    Cheese on BBQ?  Never tried it, always told pickle, onion, bbq on a cheap bun.  Will try.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Have you tried it in a tortilla?

I can make a pretty mean pulled pork burrito.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Ike said:
    Cheese on BBQ?  Never tried it, always told pickle, onion, bbq on a cheap bun.  Will try.
    Cheese is fair game on pretty much everything, especially leftovers. 

Leftover pulled pork is so dang versatile. Korean bbq sauced PP tacos, yum.
  • YukonRon
    brentm said:
    Have you tried it in a tortilla?

I can make a pretty mean pulled pork burrito.
    We usually do Burritos. The children like it like this.
    So I made a bunch and took one.
    I do pickled slaw, onions, and pickeled jalapenos and shredded colby jack...and whatever else left in the fridge.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Looks great Ron. Try (if you have not to date) Pulled pork Fry Lice. Thank me later.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • WesJohnson
    WesJohnson Posts: 130
    edited May 2020
    YukonRon said:

That is the most white people bbq sammich I have ever seen. Flagged for nauseating abuse.
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • YukonRon
    Looks great Ron. Try (if you have not to date) Pulled pork Fry Lice. Thank me later.
    Did that. Killer. Suzy made it. One of the first meals after we cook the peach butt.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:

That is the most white people bbq sammich I have ever seen. Flagged for nauseating abuse.
    Yeah nauseous as fück.

But the children liked it. They have no clue they are white, they just knew they were hungry.

They think they are French like me. Even worse.

You should triple flag that image. Red White and Blue.

🇫🇷

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Have you ever tried recoating with rub and peach preserves and smoking that again?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

i also get accolades galore when put a cup or even 2 cups of chopped up left over PP in a batch of “Kerry beans”! Talk about a crowd pleaser! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • YukonRon
    Legume said:
    Have you ever tried recoating with rub and peach preserves and smoking that again?

@Legume

No.  I might try it sometime. Right now, quick meals around the house for us, feeding the bottomless pits we call "our children," and backpacking rations, seem to be my top uses for frozen leftover PPB.

Never disappoints.

If you are into backpacking, you might want to try this:
    Make up a large batch of red beans and rice, add lots of minced garlic, finely chopped onions, sriracha freshly grated cheese of your choice, then some smoked ppb. Use your food saver, bag up 16 oz packs, freeze them. Lasts  for what seems like forever. Pulled a 12oz bag out today made in 2017 for lunch. Awesome!

When you get to your camping spot, fill the jet boil with water, ignite that cooker and stick a bag in. 7 minutes ready to eat. Absolutely delicious.

I also have a pasta dish using ppb I do the same way for backpacking, my gosh it is awesome.

We always seem to have a white burgundy with us as well, and of course clear plastic stemware. We are not entirely bohemian. Almost, not completely.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great idea!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume

No.  I might try it sometime. Right now, quick meals around the house for us, feeding the bottomless pits we call "our children," and backpacking rations, seem to be my top uses for frozen leftover PPB.

Never disappoints.

Make up a large batch of red beans and rice, add lots of minced garlic, finely chopped onions, sriracha freshly grated cheese of your choice, then some smoked ppb. Use your food saver, bag up 16 oz packs, freeze them. Lasts  for what seems like forever. Pulled a 12oz bag out today made in 2017 for lunch. Awesome!

When you get to your camping spot, fill the jet boil with water, ignite that cooker and stick a bag in. 7 minutes ready to eat. Absolutely delicious.

I also have a pasta dish using ppb I do the same way for backpacking, my gosh it is awesome.

We always seem to have a white burgundy with us as well, and of course clear plastic stemware. We are not entirely bohemian. Almost, not completely.

I'd gladly belly up to that bar with my red Solo cup - just so everybody would know that I'm from Texas.  I learned that from @Mickey when he visited Maine.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    @YukonRon thanks for the pulled pork roll and leftovers suggestions. I just prepped the brine for your peach butt. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked forever but have never made it. Looking forward to many great meals. 
    IL 
  • YukonRon
    LetsEat said:
    @YukonRon thanks for the pulled pork roll and leftovers suggestions. I just prepped the brine for your peach butt. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked forever but have never made it. Looking forward to many great meals. 
    Gotta tell you, if the meals were difficult, I would ask My Beautiful Wife to prepare them. Keeping it simple, is my motto, because I lack both skill and intelligence to complex meals......

It is like anything else though, the key is the preparation. If you do that correctly, the BGE will take care of everything else.

just a nickles worth of free advice, either turn that roast to ensure all sides get the brine, or take a paver or something put it in a sealed bag and place it on top of the meat to keep it submerged.

Have fun, and post your cooks. Be sure to pass it on to your friends.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice idea Ron - I will vac seal this way next time.  Also, I see the pic (above) of the brine and interested.  Can someone ( @YukonRon or @LetsEat ) post a link to that thread so I can read more about this brine ??
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume

Never disappoints.

Fantastic idea! I will certainly make these DIY MREs when we go camping. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume

Never disappoints.

I'd gladly belly up to that bar with my red Solo cup - just so everybody would know that I'm from Texas.  I learned that from @Mickey when he visited Maine.
    Bring it my friend, I need all of the very few people, left on this earth, that give me a chance to look better than I am......just kidding, it really is not possible, and that red cup in your hand would be a very welcome sight.

It is a lot of fun being on a trail and the occasional hiker passes by with peanut butter, crunched crackers and a couple bottles of water. We keep a 3rd piece of plastic stemware and an extra serving plate. Made quite a lot of friends that way over the years.

My Beautiful Wife and I made a decision years ago, we do not mind roughing it in the wild, however, we will never compromise on our ability to dine relatively well (when you are married to a princess, trust me, you learn how to make it as comfortable as you can).

See you out there.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    NDG said:
    nice idea Ron - I will vac seal this way next time.  Also, I see the pic (above) of the brine and interested.  Can someone ( @YukonRon or @LetsEat ) post a link to that thread so I can read more about this brine ??
    Try this link, rather long but does go into detail. If you have any questions let me know.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1223467/local-grocery-had-pork-butts-bogo/p1

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Photo Egg said:
    Great idea!
    Much of the meals we make, we bag and freeze the leftovers for camping. It has worked out very well. We usually mix in carbs of some sort for the next day's energy. The wine does not hurt either, until early in the morning, especially at altitude, about 8000ft or above, if not careful, it really is a kick in the forehead.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:

@Legume

Never disappoints.

Fantastic idea! I will certainly make these DIY MREs when we go camping. 
    I love quick and easy. If I can get delicious quick and easy, I am all over it like bark on a tree.

Hope that helps.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    BBQ and tortillas are meant to be together......

But your sammie looks great
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    thetrim said:
    BBQ and tortillas are meant to be together......

But your sammie looks great
    Totally agreed, but when you have finicky children.....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Tonight's addition:
    Black bean vegetable soup, Rice and ppb.....my future DIL made the soup, My Beautiful Wife made the Rice and added the ppb. I opened the wine.
    #winning.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    YukonRon said:
    NDG said:
    Try this link, rather long but does go into detail. If you have any questions let me know.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1223467/local-grocery-had-pork-butts-bogo/p1
    Thanks Ron . . that post is amazing.  Love the details and step-by-step pictures!  I will try the pork butt (brine/peach/etc) ASAP and post my results on that thread. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • YukonRon
    NDG said:
    YukonRon said:
    NDG said:

Thanks Ron . . that post is amazing.  Love the details and step-by-step pictures!  I will try the pork butt (brine/peach/etc) ASAP and post my results on that thread. 
    Thanks, I am glad you found it helpful. I am hoping that others will post their cooks as well and tips as to how they found a better way or other ideas on the process.

Also post what meals you make with leftovers, that is a fun thing to see and try to replicate when we find something that peaks our interest.

Good luck, have fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2020
    I've gotten on a kick of making Cuban sandwiches with leftover pulled pork, deli ham, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard on good cuban bread then pressed in the panini maker. Awesome. Definitely going to give your method a go. Thanks for the tip! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    I've gotten on a kick of making Cuban sandwiches with leftover pulled pork, deli ham, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard on good cuban bread then pressed in the panini maker. Awesome. Definitely going to give your method a go. Thanks for the tip! 
    Kind of done the same thing with reubens, substituting ppb for corned beef, does not suck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky