Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recovered Brisket..

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    Not the direction I thought this thread would go when I first signed on, however...

Michael Jackson Popcorn GIF - Find  Share on GIPHY

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes, yes....I AM ENTERTAINED!!!!!!!
    Options
    Seriously, why have I not heard about frying a brisket in fat.  I think I have a weekend goal sketched out.

chicken fried brisket on a biscuit looks pretty darn good, i say go for it

Oakridge BBQ - Sweet Baby Jesus Chicken-fried brisket  Facebook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Question for the forum:  I built a girl Frankenstein and I heated her up to 98.7 F, but she was really mean....not totally done in a social sense.  Should I really just be probing her for doneness?  Am I doing something wrong?  The last 15 or so of them were fine at that temp.  Maybe it's just the meat parts, I dunno.  Any advice appreciated.
    Options
    Question for the forum:  I built a girl Frankenstein and I heated her up to 98.7 F, but she was really mean....not totally done in a social sense.  Should I really just be probing her for doneness?  Am I doing something wrong?  The last 15 or so of them were fine at that temp.  Maybe it's just the meat parts, I dunno.  Any advice appreciated.
    is she still in the wrapper?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Legume said:
    I was researching pandemics and extinction events and found this.

Can you cook a dinosaur in an Instapot.
    I like how we all locked in on the instapot thing while skipping right over the part about attempting to boil the brisket inside of a food saver bag.  
    Attempting this (the boiling) on the egg would’ve gotten more attention.
  • Legume
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Legume said:
    I was researching pandemics and extinction events and found this.

they all died of CVD...

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Legume said:
    You could do this online.  A 15 hour zoom sounds great.
    I don’t think I have enough bourbon for that.
    I'm kind of disappointed in you...15 hours worth of bourbon , those are rookie numbers.

Pump Those Numbers GIFs  Tenor
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Maybe before going straight to probing, warm her up with your fingers first?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm kind of disappointed in you...15 hours worth of bourbon , those are rookie numbers.

Allow me to rephrase: I don’t think I have enough bourbon I’m willing to waste on this.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Legume said:

Allow me to rephrase: I don’t think I have enough bourbon I’m willing to waste on this.
    I guarantee you'll win if you boil your brisket in bourbon  =)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

I guarantee you'll win if you boil your brisket in bourbon  =)
    Shhh!  Shush it Gary!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Curious to know why you cooked it at such a low temperature?  I do all my low and slow cooks at a minimum of 250º. 
    i cooked @250, pulled the brisket off @ 195..which I have done for the past 10 or 15 with no issue..this one was an anomaly 
    Generally you should try to avoid cooking brisket to a temperature.  Cook it until it's done instead.  You can start probing around that temp or a little earlier, but most people here just start checking it periodically at that point, with good reason.  
    Let me know when you have a weekend to enter into a KCBS, GBA, or MBN event...you can cook your way and I'll cook mine..we will look @ analytics..
    You have got to be kidding.
    no, actually..

"Your no daisy, Johnny"
    It's funny but I don't remember Doc walking around carrying an Insta-pot.  I feel like that would have been a slightly different movie.  

The "you're no daisy" is a nice touch there though.  Kind of perfect.  
    In case you didn't catch it, this is John's action to being challenged in a real event..

not a keyboard or classroom

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Do they allow instapots in a competition. Asking for a friend
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    billt01 said:
    GA and NC are pretty close.  You guys need to hook up and work out your ideological differences out on a bloody field of smokers.
    I'll host.
    appreciated, but i would require a larger "unbiased" audience. John could  assemble a team, as would I and let the scores reflect the better cook from a panel of judges.
    Looks like I’m late to the party. Despite considering John a friend, I’d be happy to rub it in if he got beat by instant pot barbecue. No conflict of interest here. 

Who’s the Jets and who’s the sharks? 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    billt01 said:
    GA and NC are pretty close.  You guys need to hook up and work out your ideological differences out on a bloody field of smokers.
    I'll host.
    appreciated, but i would require a larger "unbiased" audience. John could  assemble a team, as would I and let the scores reflect the better cook from a panel of judges.
    Looks like I’m late to the party. Despite considering John a friend, I’d be happy to rub it in if he got beat by instant pot barbecue. No conflict of interest here. 

Who’s the Jets and who’s the sharks? 

unfortunately, John has declined my "friendly" due to lack of cycles or sack.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    Curious to know why you cooked it at such a low temperature?  I do all my low and slow cooks at a minimum of 250º. 
    i cooked @250, pulled the brisket off @ 195..which I have done for the past 10 or 15 with no issue..this one was an anomaly 
    Generally you should try to avoid cooking brisket to a temperature.  Cook it until it's done instead.  You can start probing around that temp or a little earlier, but most people here just start checking it periodically at that point, with good reason.  
    Let me know when you have a weekend to enter into a KCBS, GBA, or MBN event...you can cook your way and I'll cook mine..we will look @ analytics..
    You have got to be kidding.
    no, actually..

"Your no daisy, Johnny"
    It's funny but I don't remember Doc walking around carrying an Insta-pot.  I feel like that would have been a slightly different movie.  

The "you're no daisy" is a nice touch there though.  Kind of perfect.  
    In case you didn't catch it, this is John's action to being challenged in a real event..

not a keyboard or classroom

😂 you don’t think classrooms
    are “real events” but fake brisket challenges are. That says a lot. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

This begs two questions?

1. What was the time before you "blew her up" and really started heating her up?
    2. Was she previously more of a Beaker or Jar Jar Bings kinda girl?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    @billt01 FWIW, I recently took a brisket to 235 internal, and @JohnInCarolina didn't say jack about needing to cook to doneness and not to temp...
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I really thought this would be a thread about making some kicka$$ chili with a slightly overdone brisky.  Guess not.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Options
    I know for a fact that JOHN undercooks about half of his pizzas and has to recover them in the SV.
  • StoneSmoker
    StoneSmoker Posts: 12
    Options
    It’s high time to go for a jog in Georgia 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    I know for a fact that JOHN undercooks about half of his pizzas and has to recover them in the SV.
    That’s the first step in my SV yogurt process!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s high time to go for a jog in Georgia 
    Yikes man.  That’s terrible.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    OT PSA, it appears "Please Stay Home" is sinking. Bookmark it if you want to stay in the loop  =)
    Maybe this can become the new location for all "stay at home" related posts.  Although I'm not sure we can recover from this one.  
    Why not! Taking the liberty of stealing @dmchicago 's post from there ...
    dmchicago Posts: 2,144
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    OT PSA, it appears "Please Stay Home" is sinking. Bookmark it if you want to stay in the loop  =)
    Maybe this can become the new location for all "stay at home" related posts.  Although I'm not sure we can recover from this one.  
    Why not! Taking the liberty of stealing @dmchicago 's post from there ...
    dmchicago Posts: 2,144
    Unreal.  Every day another example of amateur hour in this White House.
  • FlyOverCountry
    FlyOverCountry Posts: 665
    edited May 2020
    Options