Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joetisserie Chicken

First cook on the Egg with the Joetisserie, couldn't be happier.  350 for a little over an hour, minor smoke.

XLBGE ~ Joetisserie

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @smokin1979
    Great looking bird. How do you like the Joetisserie?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 2nd use and love it.  Before i was a spatchcock fan, and still am for larger birds but this was a ni e treat
    XLBGE ~ Joetisserie
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I was gunna pick up a joetisserie but love spatch so much I couldn't pull the trigger on one. 
    Nice cook!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    2nd use and love it.  Before i was a spatchcock fan, and still am for larger birds but this was a ni e treat
    Years ago, I use to love to cook baby back ribs on a rotisserie raised direct. Just to lazy to do it now. But I loved them cooked that way. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I actually think the rotisserie came out better than spatch.  At this point there are no regrets on the purchase of the Joetisserie
    XLBGE ~ Joetisserie
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    There's something magical about rotisserie cooking... use a drop pan below the bird full of small gold potatoes and you will have the best potatoes roasted in chicken fat you've never tasted.  Looks like your fire was too hot though... you burned off all that delicious skin  B)
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • vthokie98
    vthokie98 Posts: 25
    Gym said:
    Nawm Sayin!!!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I actually think the rotisserie came out better than spatch.  At this point there are no regrets on the purchase of the Joetisserie
    Your assessment is spot on.  My Cajun Bandit for the kettle and WSM is the best grilling accessory purchased to date.

This truss method is brilliant.  Give it a try some time.
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-best-way-to-truss-a-chicken

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Focker said:
    I actually think the rotisserie came out better than spatch.  At this point there are no regrets on the purchase of the Joetisserie
    Your assessment is spot on.  My Cajun Bandit for the kettle and WSM is the best grilling accessory purchased to date.

This truss method is brilliant.  Give it a try some time.
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-best-way-to-truss-a-chicken

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has used the Chef Steps truss technique on a rotisserie?

I have my chicken all trussed up that way and plan on spinning it today or tomorrow.  But, I thought I might check and see if the combo of that technique with spinning it is a known problem before trying it out.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    1st time seeing this thread but bookmarked for future use
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Just watched the video, love it.  Have to remember this next time I do whole rotis bird. Thanks for reviving it. Wondering where are @gym and @Focker , haven't seen them around for a while.
    canuckland
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Fellow canuck @Canugghead! I'm still on this side of the sod! I still view these pages as often as possible...haven't done anything noteworthy in a while.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    cssmd27 said:
    Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has used the Chef Steps truss technique on a rotisserie?

I have my chicken all trussed up that way and plan on spinning it today or tomorrow.  But, I thought I might check and see if the combo of that technique with spinning it is a known problem before trying it out.
    How did it come out?
    Should be fine, but it does seem more setup for a standalone roast than a rotisserie.  You will still have the wing tips flapping around as it spins around.
    I find I don't have to do anything fancy.  With the the spikes on each end for the spit, I just have to tie the drumstick ends together and do something similar with the wing tips (wrap a line around the bird).  It's all good though, and thanks for freshening this thread. Reminds me that I haven't made chicken in a while!

LBGE/Maryland
  • @KiterTodd I think that photo is going to make me finally pull the trigger on the Joetisserie.  That bird looks amazing.
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    KiterTodd said:
    cssmd27 said:

How did it come out?
    Should be fine, but it does seem more setup for a standalone roast than a rotisserie.  You will still have the wing tips flapping around as it spins around.
    I find I don't have to do anything fancy.  With the the spikes on each end for the spit, I just have to tie the drumstick ends together and do something similar with the wing tips (wrap a line around the bird).  It's all good though, and thanks for freshening this thread. Reminds me that I haven't made chicken in a while!

I just did this same cook Saturday nite. Trussed up the bird just like that. Marinated the chicken in a bourbon/brown sugar marinade. Sprinkled Swamp Venom for a little heat and a few mesquite chips. Turned out amazing. Looked almost identical to your picture.
     I need to start taking more picks of these cooks. A combination of cocktails and hunger make those thoughts fly right out the window. :)
  • KiterTodd
    @KiterTodd I think that photo is going to make me finally pull the trigger on the Joetisserie.  That bird looks amazing.
    You won't regret it.  I used to always spatchcock (which isn't bad), but this is better.  Plus you'll find the JoeT good for so many other cooks... beef loins, pork loins and chicken wings in a basket are my go-tos.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd said:
    @KiterTodd I think that photo is going to make me finally pull the trigger on the Joetisserie.  That bird looks amazing.
    You won't regret it.  I used to always spatchcock (which isn't bad), but this is better.  Plus you'll find the JoeT good for so many other cooks... beef loins, pork loins and chicken wings in a basket are my go-tos.
    Just ordered it from CGS and got a basket from Amazon.  This place has cost me so much money!   =)
  • cssmd27
    KiterTodd said:
    cssmd27 said:

How did it come out?

Came out exceptional!  Best BGE chicken I've ever made.

I'm a believer in that truss technique.  It doesn't leave the wings out there, they are pulled up next to the body.  The legs are left out and intentionally separated from the body.  I've spun a chicken before with the regular trussing technique and it was great as well, but this chicken turned out even better.

FWIW:  Offset charcoal with HD aluminum foil for a drip under the chicken.  Ran about 360-375 for about 1.25 hours to a temp of about 165 internally.
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    @cssmd27 - Would love to see some photos of your cook if you have any.  I think I have one whole bird left in the freezer and this looks like a fun cook, so will probably try this truss method and give it a go soon.  Thanks.

Arlington, TX
  • cssmd27
    DFW said:
    @cssmd27 - Would love to see some photos of your cook if you have any.  I think I have one whole bird left in the freezer and this looks like a fun cook, so will probably try this truss method and give it a go soon.  Thanks.

I'm horrible at remembering the take pics these days.  But, my wife just happened by and wanted to show it off to her friends and snapped this single pic.  It's about 60% done based on my recollection.  You can see the wings are pulled in, but the legs are separated out by the trussing.

• KiterTodd
    cssmd27 said:

Thanks for the pics.  So, how did the legs finish up?  The legs didn't overcook?
    I suppose on the contrary, maybe the entire chicken cooked more evenly (and quicker) because you did not have to wait for the dark meat to reach temp after the rest of the bird.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • cssmd27
    The whole chicken turned out perfect in every spot. 

I had to rewind the trussing video about 20 times to get it right, but if I did it routinely, it's not hard, just different.  If you cut your string prior to trussing, it needs to be very long as it uses a lot.  About hand to hand outstretched for a normal sized guy.
  • phil28
    phil28 Posts: 42
    Have used it 4 or 5 times now and it works great with a Large BGE. Highly recommend.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    cssmd27 said:
    The whole chicken turned out perfect in every spot. 

I had to rewind the trussing video about 20 times to get it right, but if I did it routinely, it's not hard, just different.  If you cut your string prior to trussing, it needs to be very long as it uses a lot.  About hand to hand outstretched for a normal sized guy.
    Tried the trussing method and love it, thanks!
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2516440#Comment_2516440
    canuckland