Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Espresso Machines

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
My Lavazza has been acting up for about a year and I’m getting tired of working on a 10yr old machine that parts are getting harder to find so it’s time to invest.  

I’m thinking I want a fully automatic one. My current is a single serve pod and I want more control.  What machines are you espresso drinkers using at home?  Give me the pros and cons plz.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• We have this one in 2 offices and our house. It’s an entry level model in the all-in-one espresso units ($550) but a workhorse. We have run thousands (and with some of them many thousands) of cups through this little dude. If you don’t want to spend $3000 on an all-in-one, this is a great option. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    No specific recommendation but I like this place:

https://www.wholelattelove.com/
    Mountain View, CA
  • Mattman3969
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker how is the noise level on the grinder?

@dmourati - that is where I got my Lavazza.  Good and very helpful folks.  

analyze adapt overcome

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Jura E-6

It's not quiet and it's "needy". Refill water. Empty grounds. 

But after trying many coffee/espresso makers, we really like this one.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker how is the noise level on the grinder?

@dmourati - that is where I got my Lavazza.  Good and very helpful folks.  
    Compared to what? You would not want to be on a conference call in the kitchen while it was grinding. 
  • dmchicago said:
    Jura E-6

It's not quiet and it's "needy". Refill water. Empty grounds. 

But after trying many coffee/espresso makers, we really like this one.

Ours are also not quiet and needy. 
  • Mattman3969
    The grinder is new to me coming from the pods. Your explanation was what I was expecting. No sleepin bodies left after my first cup.  Lol

analyze adapt overcome

• The grinder is new to me coming from the pods. Your explanation was what I was expecting. No sleepin bodies left after my first cup.  Lol
    That may not be true but it’s way louder than a pod setup and way quieter than a vitamix making a smoothie. 
  • dmchicago
    can confirm. Have both and use both daily.

The cleaning mode on the vitamix raises the roof!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dorfami
    dorfami Posts: 50
    We went with the Breville Barista Touch. Took a while to dial in the settings, but makes a pretty good espresso. The milk frothing and foaming is pretty much idiot proof. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Can any of these be hard plumbed to a water line?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dorfami
    dorfami Posts: 50
    My Breville doesn’t and can’t. I think you have to get quite a bit more expensive before requiring or allowing that. I’d love to have what our local shop uses, but $20,000 for three to four daily uses just isn’t going to happen. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    I've got a Profitec Pro 700 that I love... I considered the Breville's at first and then the super-autos, then got bit by the bug and decided I wanted a real Italian E61 double-boiler Espresso machine (though mine is made in Germany) and fell down the rabbit hole. These machines costs more but are easily repaired with standardized parts and will last forever.  

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Can any of these be hard plumbed to a water line?
    Those are in a different price neighborhood. 
  • dmchicago
    Can any of these be hard plumbed to a water line?
    Those are in a different price neighborhood. 
    Gated community.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    Welcome.

Nice rig.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• dmourati said:

Great site. He has a full tutorial on how to break down and rebuild (and everything in between) the one I posted. It has saved me more than once! 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2020
    I also purchased all my stuff at Whole Latte Love since it's on the East coast. Shipping this stuff in for repair can be expensive so it's best to pick a well known retailer that's closest to you. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    I am very happy with my Rancilio Ms. Silvia and matching Rocky grinder. It has held up for about ten years of daily use. It is only a single boiler as I only drink espresso and SWMBO prefers to use a frothing pitcher for her morning latte.

The Rocket mentioned above would be my upgrade choice, a friend has it and loves it.

Keep in mind that these machines do require maintenance but reward you with fantastic coffee. The process is part of the joy with these manual machines.

https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com has great information and I highly recommend signing up for their or Wholelattelove's emails before buying for a pretty substantial one time discount.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited April 2020
    I went with a Gaggia anima pro. I also ordered through wholelattelove.com 
    https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/gaggia-anima-super-automatic-espresso-machine?variant=14409122840635&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwvtX0BRAFEiwAGWJyZMqkzU2AliwCwkxp9LpZv16fuOULkTtBEhFCa1jcds5Yx7Jp2cxkpxoCGpYQAvD_BwE

Great machine, but a single boiler. I am not in a rush so it's fine for me. The steam does take a while to heat milk, but that is expected from a single boiler.

I did not want to spend over a grand. I think for the price, this is one of the best super automatic machines. I also did not want an auto-frother or a separate grinder. Too much a PITA to clean the milk container and I have to fill it before and empty it after unless you want spoiled milk. Also did not want to give up even more counter space with a grinder. I hate having any appliances on the countertop. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Some really nice set ups in here. I drink espresso infrequently so this has served my needs, LaPavoni Europiccola

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Had a Saeco Incanto Rondo for 10+ years. Not top of the line, but pretty good for a superautomatic. Better than Nespresso, not as good as a properly pulled shot from a commercial level machine. It died, and cost of sending it off for repair, etc. seemed silly. Ended up with a Saeco Odea Giro Plus, which is not as good as the one I had, but it was $150 at a pawn shop, and in pristine condition.

I had my eye on the Breville Barista Express for a while. Price even came down to about $450 briefly, but I didn't bite since caliqueen wasn't a fan. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    I’ve got my backup Lavazza out now and just reminds me of how mediocre it was.  I’ll need to be making a decision soon.  

Thanks for all the info guys.  Keep it coming. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    dmourati said:

Great site. He has a full tutorial on how to break down and rebuild (and everything in between) the one I posted. It has saved me more than once! 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker  I’m really close to ordering the one you have.  I was rereading this thread and found this.  Would you mind sharing the issues?

analyze adapt overcome

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    I bought this workhorse from wholelattelove 20 years ago & hasn't failed me yet, far more faithful than the ex wife =) .  Silvia, Rocky grinder & base, the package deal back then was in the $700 range, altogether now it's probably $1,200+, worth every penny.  Before this I briefly had a 'super-automatic', can't remember the make but it was three times the price & a total piece of crap, I'll put in the extra 10 seconds of effort the semi-automatics require

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited April 2020
    dmourati said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  I’m really close to ordering the one you have.  I was rereading this thread and found this.  Would you mind sharing the issues?
    The only issue I have had was not following directions when taking it apart to clean it. Apparently that is a thing based on the reviews.  If you pull the inside unit out to clean, you have to turn the whole thing off first. If you don’t, the inside unit comes right out as normal but won’t ever fit back in without some trickery. There is a gear in there that only moves to the right spot if you turn the machine off first. I didn’t. I went on whole latte love and he has a whole video of what to do. It involves making a cardboard shim and some ancient incantations but it worked! These machines have never not worked flawlessly when handled properly. It was totally user error but it is confusing. There are so many reviews that say “I took it apart to clean and I could never get it back together again”! 100% of this can be fixed by RTFM. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2020
    I have had a Breville Express BES870XL for several years and the the thing has been solid.  I'm sure there are fancier ones, but after having this I don't think I'd want a cheaper one (I've had them).  I use it every morning.
    My only complaint is it takes me about 5 minutes to make a cup... that's the whole process of grind, tamp, espresso, steam the milk, clean the parts, etc. It's not a huge chunk of time, but sometimes my wife comes and starts the drip coffee machine from cold while I'm already going and she is drinking a fresh cup of joe before I'm done.  =)

LBGE/Maryland
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Great thread guys, thanks. I'm tired of our Nespresso and am leaning towards the Gaggia Classic Pro after watching a few videos. Have a birthday coming up... :)
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX