Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill Grates...do you?

Options
I finally tried Grill Grates after all these years. They are... uh...grate for some stuff and not so grate for others. :) 

I love them for fish and more delicate stuff and I really like them for burgers. My biggest issue is that they seem to need an hour clean burn every time I cook burgers or sausage. It’s like a tire fire that smogs out the hood. What say you? User error? 

The pic below is AFTER a clean burn I did (even grid size down) a couple of days ago. I was going to sear some chicken breasts for a SV finish.  It’s been 45 minutes and still full Cheech and Chong-in it for all the neighbors to enjoy. I had to pull them out and just use the standard BGE grid. It seems like every time I want to use them on something delicate like fish or chicken they are smoky and nasty and I have to pull them or clean burn them forever. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Standing by.   I got some for Christmas and have used them a few times.  I've been wondering some of the same things.  They do put a good sear on a steak and a burger.  A lot of competition teams use them for halfcock chickens.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Standing by.   I got some for Christmas and have used them a few times.  I've been wondering some of the same things.  They do put a good sear on a steak and a burger.  A lot of competition teams use them for halfcock chickens.  
    It’s love/hate so far. Kind of like my mini-max experiment but with more love than hate :)  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never could see the need. If I want a good sear, I use a CI griddle or skillet. Wall-to-wall sear. Otherwise, the stock grid is fine.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Would they withstand the temps if you dropped them in the lump? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    No. They require special handling which is another minus 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2020
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    They say to not let the temp get above like 550 (if I remember right)  on the dome because they kind of act like a platesetter and the heat builds underneath. They say the heat at the grates is 200+ hotter at the surface than the dome temp reads.  They apparently warp if you go too high
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Don't even have to get them in the lump...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Yikes.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Never could see the need. If I want a good sear, I use a CI griddle or skillet. Wall-to-wall sear. Otherwise, the stock grid is fine.
    They are really good for fish. The way the spatula it comes with slides underneath makes it really cool for fish and delicate veggies. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    kl8ton said:

Don't even have to get them in the lump...

BACK OFF MAN!!!

That’s perilously close to posting a cook.  Don’t let the ‘rona get to you and do something foolish.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I mostly use them with the flat side up for searing steaks and roasts. For cleaning I just scape them down with a metal putty knife on the flat side and then soak them in he sink. I always spray them before the sear with veg. oil or duck fat. I've never had a problem with any of the sets I have for six different cookers. The highest temps. I've ever let them get to is about 700. Here's a pic of some on the BGE and some on a Traeger pellet and also on a PK360. The last pic is the temp on the pellet grill using a Smoke Daddy and the grates with the pellet controller reading at 365. 

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks @billyray. On the directions they basically say “don’t worry about cleaning up after, they clean themselves while warming up on your next cook”. I guess if you have an hour to watch a tire fire that may be true. I’ll try cleaning them up a little more after each cook but that kinda goes against the reason I like to cook outside. Wasn’t really looking for additional nasty dishes to do after every cook. I may just use them for fish and delicate stuff and keep the burgers and steaks off of them. 

I’ll keep playing around d with them and see what works. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Thanks @billyray. On the directions they basically say “don’t worry about cleaning up after, they clean themselves while warming up on your next cook”. I guess if you have an hour to watch a tire fire that may be true. I’ll try cleaning them up a little more after each cook but that kinda goes against the reason I like to cook outside. Wasn’t really looking for additional nasty dishes to do after every cook. I may just use them for fish and delicate stuff and keep the burgers and steaks off of them. 

I’ll keep playing around d with them and see what works. 
    I don't usually do the clean up until the next day, but it gives me time for another beer or two  :)
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I use a Palmyra bristle brush (Available on Amazon or your local restaurant supply store). I make it wet, and scrub the Grill Grates while hot. I does an amazing job. Bristles are long enough to get down in the groves and the steam created by using a wet brush really loosens the gunk. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I got the itch a while back and bought some for the medium. Now they are collecting dust over the permanent layer of grease. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I use a Palmyra bristle brush (Available on Amazon or your local restaurant supply store). I make it wet, and scrub the Grill Grates while hot. I does an amazing job. Bristles are long enough to get down in the groves and the steam created by using a wet brush really loosens the gunk. 

Thank you. I did also notice the the ash tool for a large fits perfectly in the grooves as well. I got some of the gunk out with that. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    My brother-in-law has them for his Yoder ys640. They're ok, but I wouldn't trade them for my Lodge Pizza Pan. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I also use the steam method to clean. Scrape the gunk off and a couple squirts with a spray bottle.

They don't get used very often.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I googled "halfcock" - instantly regretting that decision. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    for fish and veggies ive been happy with one of these pizza grill pans, dumb idea for pizza but it was a gift. i think it was from pampered chef

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Im happy you posted this. It has probably saved some of my hard earned money. Now I don't HAVE to try these out. Thanks!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Im happy you posted this. It has probably saved some of my hard earned money. Now I don't HAVE to try these out. Thanks!
    The main reason I got them was to grill fish. They are really good for that so no harm done. I’m grilling some halibut for tacos tonight and they are sparkly clean. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I love mine but the cleaning is a pain! I am going to try the long bristle brush the next time I do a serious cleaning.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They are out there smoking away again. These things are really way more a PITA than they are worth. I’ll try the squirt bottle/brush thing but damn these things require a lot of attention. Bummer. 
  • EGoldstein
    EGoldstein Posts: 34
    Options
    I had them for a few years and recently gave them away because they are a pain to clean.  
    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    +1 on pain to clean.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    They are out there smoking away again. These things are really way more a PITA than they are worth. I’ll try the squirt bottle/brush thing but damn these things require a lot of attention. Bummer. 
    I understand your frustration.
    I normally, if cooking something greasy, leave them in the Egg at grilling temp, 350, after I pull the food off. Let stuff burn off while I eat. Then shut down the egg after I eat. Doesn’t burn that much more lump and makes them closer to ready next time.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas