Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken Cook

Hello,

I am a newbie with a LBGE. I just did my first pork butt cook last weekend and it turned out good. Just picked up a 5lb whole chicken to cook this weekend. I have a ceramic roaster to put in the bird as well. Any tips on prep, cook time and temperature. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    edited April 2020
    Im a fan of spatchcocking the chicken, throwing it on direct (no conveggtor/placesetter) and I use the eggspander to get it raised above the felt line. start it with skin side down for like 15-20min, flip it, and finish it skin side up. 

bonus points for putting veggies in a cast iron pan underneath the bird and letting them get basted with all the chicken fat dripping down
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I like to cook whole chickens indirect at around 400 degrees. I use an adjustable rig to raise the chicken up above the felt line.  This always gives me crispy skin.  I generally add some pecan or apple wood for smoke.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Spatchcock is a great way to do bird, and you'll probably find as many who go indirect as raised direct. It's great either way, but don't go direct unless you have a way to get it higher in the dome. You're golden anywhere between 350-400 degrees, but I lean closer to the higher end of that range.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    For bonus points, regardless of how you cook your chicken, figure out how to put the legs toward the heat (if cooking indirect the heat is usually rising more toward the back of the grill) and the breasts in a slightly cooler area so that when the breasts are 160, the dark meat is 180.  If cooking raised direct with the fire lit in the center, put the breasts toward the periphery. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If you insist on using the sitter put the bird on upside down meaning legs up towards the dome.  This is called “inverted” bird by @Little Steven. Basically it lets the fat from the leg quarters to baste the white meat.   Works great.  

Here’s his link 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Saturday_Steve welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Here's a link regarding spatchcock chix:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  
    Give the search function a look and you will find chix cook information overload.  Just pick one method this time and then try a different one the next go.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Some good direction provided above. 

One fantastic and simple recipe that would allow you to use your roaster is this: https://www.saltfatacidheat.com/buttermilkmarinated-roast-chicken

Really worth trying at some point. 
  • All sound good.  How long is cook time for 6 lb bird at 350 indirect on a sitter?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    There are different types of sitters. Some are open and are designed to promote air flow through the bird. Some are closed and greatly reduce air flow and may be designed to Hold liquids. Major time and result differences from the two.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Thanks all, had some help my friend va_egger as well. I did a dry brine overnight, then tossed the bird on direct heat for about 10 minutes skin side down at 450-475. After I got the skin nice and crispy, went to indirect heat at 450 for about 50-60 minutes. One of the best birds I have ever had. Will be hard to go away from spatchcock moving forward!