Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Today, April 11 is the 120th Birthday of the US Navy Submarine Force-OT

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,393
Since I am no longer running submerged and undetected I will raise a glass (and more).  
Submarines once, submarines twice...
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Happy birthday Skip. Never understood sinking your own ship, but God bless those that do. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    A big thanks to the US Navy Submarine Force. Always on watch around the globe and ready to defend, support and serve.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Thank you Frank for your service and being a part of the Navy’s Submarine Force legacy. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Since I am no longer running submerged and undetected I will raise a glass (and more).  
    I never knew what That meant. I googled it. 

That’s classic!

thank you for your service. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    Options
    Happy 120th from a former Phantom & Tomcat driver.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,082
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I will raise a glass to you and your service to the country.  Thank you sir.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Happy Birthday to a force to be reckoned with!

When I was but a wee whippersnapper, my father, a career Navy man, was stationed for a couple of years in the 60's at the Polaris Missile Facility, Atlantic, outside of Charleston, South Carolina. He was the weapons officer on a sub tender, and when it was in port, I got to do sleepovers. I also got to tour many of the "41", the earlier ballistic missile subs. I went many places that civilians were not normally allowed. Great memories.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Cheers! Thank you for your service. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thank you for your Service my Friend !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    A friend of ours recently shared with me precisely who our friend @lousubcap here is in terms of US Navy submarine history.  He's far too modest to ever mention it but suffice it to say it's very cool. 

Submerged and undetected indeed.  Cheers, Cap!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    As if I need another reason to celebrate Frank in being the man he is, but to me, it is certainly an honor and a privilege to do so, each and every time.

Cheers to the Submarines, and above all thank you for your service protecting America.

Thank you also for being the best.

Ron and Suzy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Raising my cocktail to you and your comrades, @lousubcap

Cheers, and thank you. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Thank-you for your service.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Captain, although you may not run submerged and undetected anymore, I am very glad that both your dive and surface counts have been equal. This place would not be the same without you.  Thank you! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Yesterday was the anniversary of the USS Thresher tragedy........worst submarine accident in US history.  We have a memorial for it here on Thresher Dr out front of the post office.  They had it decorated yesterday with flowers.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Thank you for your service and keeping the ruskis on their toes @lousubcap
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @stlcharcoal - I clearly recall where i was when I heard that news way back in 1963.  April 10th is a serious remembrance day for me.  
    On the plus side, lots of new systems, procedures and post shipyard sea-trial rules were implemented.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Served with a bunch of bubbleheads at my last duty station as the only Surface TM. Great bunch of guys. Enjoy "your" 120th Birthday celebration @lousubcap.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    And don't forget those days of young love watching the submarine races!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I missed this earlier.  Happy Birthday all you Bubbleheads. 

I might be late, but at least I got to the right spot!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    Thanks! From one bubblehead to another.  I served on the USS Hyman G Rickover SSN 709.  It’s a good reason for a stiff drink & a good smoke.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Frank, have you heard of the Saab Stirling engine?
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    . . . Holy jumping Jesus Christ.

Frank spent most of his career up front driving, I spent my 20 years back in the engine room pushing where the view never changed. 

Worked with some amazing people and I still miss the camaraderie.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Frank, have you heard of the Saab Stirling engine?
    Sweden has been putting them on their Götland class boats for a couple years I believe. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @nolaegghead - Yes and we (USA) invited Sweden to bring one here (Gotland) in 2005.  Turns out it was quite a learning experience and renewed for several years.  Tough adversary for sure.  
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    edited April 2020
    Options
    A great book on the history of the sub service is Blind Man's Bluff. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    rcone said:
    A great book on the history of the sub service is Blind Man's Bluff. 
    It is a great read, and I re-read it every couple years or so. 

That said, John Walker can lick the sweat off my b@lls and eat the corn out of my sh!t.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Served on a ‘ship’ chasing those subs myself. It’s funny when subs and aircraft carriers have to slow down to practice with you. Cap, you weren’t the boat that took out our only working stabilizer with a dummy torpedo, were you? That didn’t help the whole seasickness thing for me...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Were you on the Monitor or the Merrimack?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin