Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upright or Chest freezer?

Sweet100s
Sweet100s Posts: 553
edited April 2020 in Off Topic
Hey hey Eggers, 
I’m considering purchase of a garage freezer.  Trying to decide between upright vs chest. 
I’ve never had a garage freezer.  Here are my perceived Pros & Cons or what I've read from other sources.

Any other pros or cons you would add from your experience? 

=== Upright Freezer
  • Requires less floor space
  • Easier to access everything 
  • Adjustable storage shelves
=== Chest Freezer
  • Requires more floor space
  • Harder to access stuff; easier to lose things.
--- Egghead forum related threads: 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've had both and don't really have a strong preference either way.
    The one knock I always hear about chest freezers tho is that it is harder to get to stuff. If you are just tossing loose items into the freezer that may be true. However, the magic word is "baskets". Stacking baskets make it pretty easy to segregate items and easy to move a basket of stuff to get to a basket below.
    It's certainly no more of a hassle than trying to get to that one specific pack of sausages in the very back of an upright shelf behind a bunch of stuff.
    Perhaps the magic word for uprights is also "baskets". :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Just buy the biggest.

I bought upright, after looking at different sizes, I chose the smaller one. After a month of that stupid decision, I went and bought the medium size. That move was as stupid as the first decision. So 6 months after that I went and got the largest model.

Having had both, the upright is my choice for convenience and not having to do deep freeze dives and find things you had forgotten....

Just trying to save you time and money.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Upright

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2020
    I used to have a chest freezer and it was a bit of a pain to sort items. I like the idea of using baskets.  I gave it away when we got a new fridge and moved the kitchen fridge to the basement. 

I guess that is one other suggestion I will throw out there...are you sure you wouldn’t want a fridge and freezer?  It is nice to have the extra fridge space for throwing big cuts or brining...and of course to store extra beer. 

Of course, you will have a lot less space compared to a dedicated freezer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I bought a huge upright. I think its 18 cubic ft, cant remember. Way better than the chest freezer 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Another vote for upright. I put around 100lbs of burger in the door when we butcher a cow, its right where i need it and out of the way.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    I've had both but still have the upright. Too easy to lose stuff in the bottom of the chest and I got tired of digging through the pile to get what I want.
  • Upright all day every day. I’ve wasted so much food because of a chest freezer. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I love my chest freezer. More efficient, less freezer burn and it will stay colder longer during a power loss
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    When it comes to cost to run, make sure you are making a fair comparison.  If you are opening up the freezer a lot, you will lose more cold air from an upright - driving up the operating cost.  But if you are opening up the freezer a lot, the easy access to the food of an upright is probably worth the extra cost.  Frost free units drive up operating costs. Consider not getting a frost free. I need to manually defrost once a year. Its a bit of a pain, but does force me to take stock of what is in the freezer.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    We used to have a very large chest freezer and we organized it with numerous baskets. These baskets helped for a while but we still lost things in the freezer and had to search for many an item.  When it finally died, we replaced it with 2 large upright freezers ("His" and "Hers) and that has been the best decision we have ever made.  These are located in our basement and in our garage we have a medium sized refrig/freezer which is very handy as extra space.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Upright all day. I have a 20 cu' in the garage. Its great for hunting and fishing and general use. I didn't want to deal with the frost so I went frost free. I try to keep it organized as much as possible to keep the open door time down.

Small stuff goes on the door. 1-2 shelves for game meat 1 for big stuff - briskets & butts. etc. Spot for poultry, beef & pork. etc.

Go bigger than you think you need/want as long as you have the floor space.

I don't think $17 a year is a factor. The cost of the unit may be.

Now I have to figure out a way to get a small fridge in the garage too so I can start dry aging meat!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited April 2020
    My chest freezer have a love/hate relationship. It can become a black hole if you let it. Anything that gets buried tends to get forgot about. $100+ worth of meat hit the garbage a few days ago when my wife and I went through the freezer. It sucked. 

I think an upright freezer would help me be a little more organized or at least see what I have going on in the freezer. Plus save on floor space. 

I was gifted the chest freezer from my aunt and uncle. It sees Minnesota summer and winters in the garage and it still keeps on kicking. I shouldn't complain any.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited April 2020
    @RRP,

That is a full freezer.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    edited April 2020
    WOW!   @RRP, what a clever solution!   I wanna quarantine with RRP!

btw, which vacuum sealer do you use?  Clearly it gets a lot of use! 

Related question to everyone with a lot of meat / $ in their freezer: 
    Do you have a backup generator for it? 
    Or a whole house generator for everything? 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    By the way, if you have a freezer and wish to keep things longer without them getting freezer burned, you should also consider some kind of vacuum sealer. This is especially true if you're getting a chest freezer since they will keep a lot longer if vacuum sealed and meat tends to hide for long periods of time in a chest unit.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @RRP - great to see you posting.  You need to cycle around more frequently especially during these times.  
    When you didn't comment on a recent rutland gasket post I was concerned.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    nolan8v said:
    @RRP,

That is a full freezer.
    LOL - actually the picture washed out so you couldn't see that uppermost shelf...that one is actually jammed packed!...er...I guess they all are and so is the door.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Sweet100s said:

Thanks! - I use a couple FS - but my oldest most used one is a simple model 1050.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    @RRP Ron, have you considered actually eating some of that food - before you buy more? You have enough to last the two of you at least a year! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    @RRP Ron, have you considered actually eating some of that food - before you buy more? You have enough to last the two of you at least a year! =)
    Actually, Michael that freezer food turns over faster than you seem to think. We buy a lot in bulk and on sale. Seldom does a day go by that we haven't had one meat that had previously been frozen in there.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    @Sweet100s I spent a lot of my youth doing a handstand into a chest freezer on request of my father.  Do yourself a favor and go upright.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    Actually, Michael that freezer food turns over faster than you seem to think. We buy a lot in bulk and on sale. Seldom does a day go by that we haven't had one meat that had previously been frozen in there.
    @RRP Just busting' your pork chops, bud.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Sweet100s said:

I do have a generator, first 2 things that get plugged in are the fridge and the freezer.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Another vote for a n uptight/frost free/vacuum sealer combo.  (And I have had both) 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Just bought a beast of an upright commercial freezer. Thanks egghead forum. I can always count on you to lighten my wallet. Now I just have to see if this Amazon restaurant seller can arrange a lift gate or if I have to manhandle this 300 pounder off the back of a truck myself.
    Mountain View, CA