Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upright or Chest freezer?

Options

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    @Sweet100s I spent a lot of my youth doing a handstand into a chest freezer on request of my father.  Do yourself a favor and go upright.
     Was that more affective than a cold shower?  ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Now I just have to see if this Amazon restaurant seller can arrange a lift gate or if I have to manhandle this 300 pounder off the back of a truck myself.
    @dmourati, please heed the advice of a relative / MD:
    "Just don't get sick or injured in the next 3 weeks."
    "Wait a month before you go up on a ladder to clean out your gutters."

Please recruit or hire help!

@caliking We need to see a pic of this labeling system :-).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

@caliking We need to see a pic of this labeling system :-).
    It’s not very fancy. But it works for me =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    @caliking, so very practical and clever!   

I had to google Dahi Vada and the pics look great! 
    https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/dahi-vada-recipe/

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

I love Indian food but good Indian restaurants are scarce as hens teeth around here. It would be nice to be able to compare the foods of the many different regions of the subcontinent. A student from some region of India let me sample a piece of preserved vegetable that he had received in a care package from home. I remember that it was spicy and hot as blazes but good.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @dmourati, I didn’t know there was such a thing as “freezer envy”....I’m coveting the possibilities!
    IL 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    @LetsEat, let's not count my chickens before they hatch.
    Mountain View, CA
  • caliking
    Options
    Sweet100s said:

I love Indian food but good Indian restaurants are scarce as hens teeth around here. It would be nice to be able to compare the foods of the many different regions of the subcontinent. A student from some region of India let me sample a piece of preserved vegetable that he had received in a care package from home. I remember that it was spicy and hot as blazes but good.
    (Apologies for the hijack) I think good Indian restaurants are rare anywhere in the US. What gets pushed as Indian food is usually North or South Indian fare. There’s so much more! 

What you likely had was achaar, generically called  “pickle” , and is made from all kinds of stuff with oil, spices, etc. Typically eaten as a spicy relish of sorts, with meals. 

@Sweet100s I have my sister make a bunch for us to freeze whenever she visits. Wait until you google shutki. My Pops’ specialty, and its only taken me about 40 yrs to develop a taste for it :)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wcaliking said:
    Re: freezer organization, whenever anything goes in, a label (sharpie, painter's tape) goes on the side/door of the freezer, indicating what shelf said item is on. When the item is removed, the label gets pulled off. This system works pretty well. 

caliqueen claims that I pull things out of the freezer,  but forget to remove the label. I have no idea what she's talking about. 
    At first I was totally impressed (and surprised) at your organization skills and innovative system. 
    By the end of the post I was like, “There’s the guy I know..”
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    edited April 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

(Apologies for the hijack) I think good Indian restaurants are rare anywhere in the US. What gets pushed as Indian food is usually North or South Indian fare. There’s so much more! 

What you likely had was achaar, generically called  “pickle” , and is made from all kinds of stuff with oil, spices, etc. Typically eaten as a spicy relish of sorts, with meals. 

@Sweet100s I have my sister make a bunch for us to freeze whenever she visits. Wait until you google shutki. My Pops’ specialty, and its only taken me about 40 yrs to develop a taste for it :)
    No need to apologize for answering my question with inside knowledge. If it is not prying, what part of India were your family from? I've read a bit about a few of the kingdoms of India. I knew a Sikh family and the guy that I was talking about wasn't Sikh. 

Oh btw I think I was the one who hijacked the thread. Apologies to the OP.
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    caliking said:
    :eek:, looks like I’d need at least 40 years to warm up to shutki!

@Gulfcoastguy, no apologies needed; this is OT topic and diversions are welcome.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,667
    Options
    @YukonRon if you need a place to stash those bad boys let me know...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HarrisFrampton
    Options
    I prefer upright
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

just googled shutki, a friends mother back in college served me that once on rice. before i knew what a ghost pepper was i learned the hard way, it was loaded with some kind of ghost peppers, i think i nearly died. they seemed hotter than ghost peppers but it did mask the flavor of the shutki =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    put a latch on the upright, the only downside to the upright that i see is something sliding and opening the door. had that happen to my freezer on the camp fridge a few years back from a tremor and what a mess and waste.

something like this would work

fukahwee maine

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,667
    Options
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

just googled shutki, a friends mother back in college served me that once on rice. before i knew what a ghost pepper was i learned the hard way, it was loaded with some kind of ghost peppers, i think i nearly died. they seemed hotter than ghost peppers but it did mask the flavor of the shutki =)
    Pops isn't allowed to cook it in the house. We do it outside, and it still almost makes me gag. Its tasty though.

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    I purchased a chest freezer about 5 years ago. Gets the job done, but I do have to go freezer diving from time to time for certain items. So if I had to purchase again I would go upright to avoid that. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

Pops isn't allowed to cook it in the house. We do it outside, and it still almost makes me gag. Its tasty though.

what is that insanely hot indian pepper, she would put those in the rice as well. i remember they were dried, orange, small and DEADLY
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    @Sweet100s I spent a lot of my youth doing a handstand into a chest freezer on request of my father.  Do yourself a favor and go upright.
    My folks bought a large chest freezer, and 1/2 cow/ 1/2 pig/ 10 loaves of bread at a time.  It was usually my task to fetch the next day's vittles, but I had two advantages.
    First, my Mom was the world's best organizer, and it was always cake to find anything (and I doubt we EVER threw anything out).  Secondly, even in Jr High I was 6'5" (all 165 lbs of me) and could reach anything.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

what is that insanely hot indian pepper, she would put those in the rice as well. i remember they were dried, orange, small and DEADLY
    Maybe bhut jolokia aka ghost pepper or naga jolokia? If they were eating dried fish, then they may have been from the part of India where those are grown. Just a guess. 

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    It is much easier to stash the bodies in a chest freezer, next to the fava beans.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Sweet100s said:

Maybe bhut jolokia aka ghost pepper or naga jolokia? If they were eating dried fish, then they may have been from the part of India where those are grown. Just a guess. 

that must be what they were, back in the early 80's my introduction to ghost peppers. probably never had anything hotter than a jalapeno at that time.  the rice was loaded with them. now i grow them
    fukahwee maine

• ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Are the "garage ready" freezers any different or is that just a marketing ploy?   I have seen plenty of freezers in garages and it seems to work just fine without being garage ready
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Are the "garage ready" freezers any different or is that just a marketing ploy?   I have seen plenty of freezers in garages and it seems to work just fine without being garage ready

In a previous house we had freezers in our garage (New York State) for years with no problems.  We also had a refrigerator with freezer in our garage and that did have problems in the Winter months. The temperature sensor is normally in the refrigerator and when the garage temperature dropped below 40, the compressor would not cycle on since it thought the unit was at the proper temperature. This caused things in the freezer to start to thaw.  We didn't use the freezer much in the Winter. 

In the summer months, the garage can get quite hot which makes freezers and refrigerators work much harder, but they still all worked fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    The FedEx man paid me a visit today to drop off this absolute unit.

I have dubbed her: "White Lightning."

Just short of 20 cubic feet if my measurement was any good.
    Mountain View, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I am a big fan of big upright chests.
    Options
    @dmourati, that is serious! 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I had an issue with my garage fridge/freezer a while back.
    One thing I learned from that experience:
    Buy a Fridge/Freezer Monitor Alarm!!
    I chose

https://www.thermoworks.com/RT8100MAT

$30 for an audible alarm is better than $300 for replacement proteins!!

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX