Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Norah Grace’s Perfect Meatloaf

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Yesterday, Norah Grace decided she wanted to make meatloaf. We took out 2 pounds of 80/20 CAB beef and 1lb of bacon.  She seasoned the meatloaf with a mix of BBQ Bob’s 7 bone beef rub and Dizzy Pigs  Mediterranean-ish. The meatloaf was then smoked at 300 with a few SmokerBricx, she used a mix of hickory and cherry wood.  Here are a few photos of her efforts. 

The bacon weave is looking solid

Looking like a pro 

Temp is at 160and the sweet sticky glaze is set

She served the meatloaf with a mash of potatoes, parsnips, and turnips. 

All and all I’d say she killed it with this cook.   Kind of nice to see her still crushing it.   As a side note, we are loving the Misfits Market Box we receive every week...it’s gotten us to use other veggies that we would not typically purchase....  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    bacon weave is strong with this one..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Great looking meatloaf!!  You go girl!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Looks amazing.  Nice work.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Looks great. Not sure how misfits market ties in.. or maybe not sure how your meatloaf ties in...
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ryantt
    edited March 2020
    @alaskanassasin the misfits market is where she got the stuff for her mash...we would have never purchased parsnips or turnips from the store...but when you just get random produce shipped you figure out what to do with it.   It’s been fun looking up different items we’ve received and figure out how to use them.  Also turns out we like more veggies than we thought lol.  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not a bad way to keep our youth busy during these difficult times. Here is hoping you and your family are doing well.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Strong work right there as always.  Congrats.  Continue to keep it fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    @lousubcap keeping it fun is the key...as much as I love having her cook with me, the minute it’s not fun for her it’s all over.  I’ve been trying to let her pick, plan and execute the entire cook these days. 

Today she going to make pizza, which we’ve done together tons of times, but today I’m only permitted to take photos and cleanup of course.      

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ryantt said:
    @lousubcap keeping it fun is the key...as much as I love having her cook with me, the minute it’s not fun for her it’s all over.  I’ve been trying to let her pick, plan and execute the entire cook these days.

Today she going to make pizza...    
    Just don't make her cook or eat parsnips or turnips. That'll kill anyone's enthusiasm! =) Looking forward to the pizza pics.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Turnips are pretty good raw.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Great Job Norah !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    That looks great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    edited March 2020
    Another excellent meal.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Love that kid.  She is what is right with this country.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Meatloaf is always a treat when cooked on the egg. Wrapping in a bacon weave makes it a feast. Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    mighty fine looking vittles!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    I'm not typically a meatloaf fan, but that looks killer. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    like a bat outta hell!
    Signal Mountain, TN