Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-PSA - Tonight's the night-OT Time change... Forum unscientific poll

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,347
Given all US residents besides those who reside in Arizona, Hawaii, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands will move to Daylight Saving Time where do you stand??
a.  Good with the current practice.
b.  Daylight Saving Time year round.
c.  Standard Time year round.
d.  My suggestion...
Unless living in the places above-dial your clocks ahead one hour Sunday am at 0200 local or just show up an hour late if you don't care.  FWIW-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    B or C would be fine with me.  

Didn't know about AZ until I visited last year.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    I sure like the long summer evenings...
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I'm going to be an hour late to everything starting tomorrow. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I sure like the long summer evenings...

Move to Scandinavia. :)

For the poll I vote C.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    @HeavyG: Unfortunately, the short winter days would be tough! In the end, I'd be glad if we picked one and stayed with it year round.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    B

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Actually this saves a lot of energy.

I go with A. I am late always anyway.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Eliminate DST completely.  It’s old school designed for rural areas and farming schedules.  
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Never changed the clocks on my vehicles last fall, are they going to be right again?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    Options
    Never changed the clocks on my vehicles last fall, are they going to be right again?
    No. I have never had one that was correct 4 hours after resetting.

But then, I must admit, I am on a mission.

I am trying to keep a 1997 Ford Expedition operating until I die.

Thinking this is the only contest I will outlast the opponent.

Clock is always wrong.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    In Florida they keep bringing up how We will vote on being on DLST year round. I like the extra hour of sunlight, but my understanding is the evening football games (and other programming) would be an hour later during this time. It’s hard enough staying up late enough for the college national championship, so I’d be against it. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    B

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    I don’t have a huge preference, I’d just like not to have to move the time around twice a year in my car, microwave, etc.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Standard Time year round. And get off my grass!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A, because there is nothing better than an extra hour of sleep.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Try explaining daylight savings to your dog, I feel like we just got on fall back feeding schedule and here we go again. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited March 2020
    Options
    d) My Suggestion (and I've been waiting 59 years to say this):

F*ck You, I'm Retired!!  I don't care what time it is!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited March 2020
    Options
    And now, for a more serious answer.
    The geniuses (geniusie?) in the UT church-state legislature just passed a law to go to DST(M), year-round (I guess this is subject to Fed approval).  This is So Stupid!  The three main states within MST are Aridzona, Utard, and Montana; AZ is on permanent MST, MT is on MST/DST (depending on the time of year), and if approved, UT will be on permanent DST(M).  How fun will this be for commerce, delivery schedules, airline schedules, even just calling a vendor in the Mountain Time Zone, with three different "rules"?  
    Idiotic!!  

EDIT:  Oh, and to add to the confusion?  There was also a law introduced to move the public school start times to an hour later, because "teenagers needed an extra hour of sleep".  
    WTFF????  Be a goddamned parent and put your damn kids to bed at the right time!! I just don't understand what's going on anymore.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Actually this saves a lot of energy...
    Does Daylight Saving Save Electricity? A Meta-AnalysisTomas Havranek, Dominik Herman, Zuzana IrsovaAbstract:
    The original rationale for adopting daylight saving time (DST) was energy savings. Modern research studies, however, question the magnitude and even direction of the effect of DST on electricity consumption. Representing the first meta-analysis in this literature, we collect 162 estimates from 44 studies and find that the mean reported estimate indicates slight electricity savings: 0.34% during the days when DST applies. The literature is not affected by publication bias, but the results vary systematically depending on the exact data and methodology applied. Using Bayesian model averaging we identify the most important factors driving the heterogeneity of the reported effects: data frequency, estimation technique (simulation vs. regression), and, importantly, the latitude of the country considered. Electricity savings are larger for countries farther away from the equator, while subtropical regions consume more electricity because of DST.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
    Options
    Put me in the "A" camp.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I just hope that individual states don’t jump on the time change cancellation bandwagon. I think it’s a Federal decision. I don’t have the energy to figure out what time 50 individual states decided to pick. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    For the first time in forever, I actually changed the clocks before I went to bed, and that made all the difference.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I go for full time Standard time.  But since I retired, I don't keep up with what day it is.  Just have to check the calendar every week for the Dr. appointments.
    6 months into retirement and not bored yet!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    All well with current system is good with me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    On the bright side - beer:30 just got pulled in an hour. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    YukonRon said:
    Actually this saves a lot of energy...

Does Daylight Saving Save Electricity? A Meta-Analysis

Tomas Havranek, Dominik Herman, Zuzana Irsova

Abstract:
    The original rationale for adopting daylight saving time (DST) was energy savings. Modern research studies, however, question the magnitude and even direction of the effect of DST on electricity consumption. Representing the first meta-analysis in this literature, we collect 162 estimates from 44 studies and find that the mean reported estimate indicates slight electricity savings: 0.34% during the days when DST applies. The literature is not affected by publication bias, but the results vary systematically depending on the exact data and methodology applied. Using Bayesian model averaging we identify the most important factors driving the heterogeneity of the reported effects: data frequency, estimation technique (simulation vs. regression), and, importantly, the latitude of the country considered. Electricity savings are larger for countries farther away from the equator, while subtropical regions consume more electricity because of DST.

This saves a minuscule amount of energy.

I would have thought more, however saving .34% (nationally more? less?) is still a plus, by doing no more than adjusting a clock, twice per year.

.34% individually may not be much, but on a national scale it helps I suppose?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Botch said:
    And now, for a more serious answer.
    The geniuses (geniusie?) in the UT church-state legislature just passed a law to go to DST(M), year-round (I guess this is subject to Fed approval).  This is So Stupid!  The three main states within MST are Aridzona, Utard, and Montana; AZ is on permanent MST, MT is on MST/DST (depending on the time of year), and if approved, UT will be on permanent DST(M).  How fun will this be for commerce, delivery schedules, airline schedules, even just calling a vendor in the Mountain Time Zone, with three different "rules"?  
    Idiotic!!  

EDIT:  Oh, and to add to the confusion?  There was also a law introduced to move the public school start times to an hour later, because "teenagers needed an extra hour of sleep".  
    WTFF????  Be a goddamned parent and put your damn kids to bed at the right time!! I just don't understand what's going on anymore.  
    Brother @Botch you missed CO, WY, NM, and ID all in MST.  And here in CA last election we voted, pending Federal approval, to go on permanent DST.  I am firmly in the camp of (c) - permanent standard time.  I remember in the middle '70s when we went on DST in January - it was hell, hell I tell you!

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR