Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did competition style thighs, can’t go back

Options
If you haven’t already, try the girls can grill process (link below). I like it so much I’ve started adapting it to boneless and skinless thighs and the results are just as good. 

Did a quick YouTube how to if you’re interested https://youtu.be/Uj5RAGlH0xs

For those who’d rather the text version. I started off smoking the thighs in a foil pan with some chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan at 275 for 45 min. Small cubes of butter were placed on top 

at the 45min mark I covered them with foil and let them ride another 20 min before opening everything up. Removing from the pan and saucing. Gave em about 10min for the sauce to glaze. 

It’s crazy how tender and flavourful these come out. If you haven’t seen this blog before, thought I would share. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Not surprised they come out moist this way.  It’s almost like a braise.

Anyway, thanks for posting!  I’ll definitely try this.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Looks killer...I always pan my thighs , I don’t add liquid but the braise in their own fat/ juice....like a poor mans Confit always a winner
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I've been hesitant to try the sealed-pan cooking techniques for chicken thighs/legs that litter APL's "competition" recipes. It seems like steaming and a great way to get flabby skin, but obviously I'm missing something if this is a common winning technique. Maybe I'll give it a go... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I've been hesitant to try the sealed-pan cooking techniques for chicken thighs/legs that litter APL's "competition" recipes. It seems like steaming and a great way to get flabby skin, but obviously I'm missing something if this is a common winning technique. Maybe I'll give it a go... 
    I do mine uncovered , the fat comes up a little less than he way leaving the skin exposed , crisps up fine 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I tried that APL recipe once and didn’t think it was all that good.  Edible but kind of average given how much work was involved.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Looks killer...I always pan my thighs , I don’t add liquid but the braise in their own fat/ juice....like a poor mans Confit always a winner
    Good tip. I will try just the pan next time. 275?
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    What a great write up and explanation of comp thighs! Thanks for taking the time and writing it up. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Good tip. I will try just the pan next time. 275?
    That's the temp I run, 275 ..I pack the pan as well about 24 thighs in a full pan, 12 in a half , gives perfect amount of fat
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Giving this a go tonight. Didn’t read anything except pan and thighs. Hit them with salt, pepper, adobo, and garlic powder and left a little water in the pan from washing them. Put some creamy vinaigrette on at the end. Had it running 350 before I saw people running it at 275 so it’s running a little hot. Cover in 20 minutes. 
  • Lit
    Options
    I think I’m gonna foil these for 15-20 minutes. Added some basalmic vinaigrette and water mid cook. 
  • Lit
    Options
    These came out good trying not to eat them all. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Boneless thighs make for good eating. One of my favorites is to brine them, cold smoke them (I use my Little Chief), and then return them to the fridge overnight. The next day we'll apply a light breading (flour, egg wash, cracker crumbs) and either pan fry or roast in the convection oven. In either case you have a grand combination of crispy, savory, and smoky. The same process works great for Pork Chops too.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    If you haven’t already, try the girls can grill process (link below). I like it so much I’ve started adapting it to boneless and skinless thighs and the results are just as good. 

Did a quick YouTube how to if you’re interested https://youtu.be/Uj5RAGlH0xs

For those who’d rather the text version. I started off smoking the thighs in a foil pan with some chicken broth to cover the bottom of the pan at 275 for 45 min. Small cubes of butter were placed on top 

at the 45min mark I covered them with foil and let them ride another 20 min before opening everything up. Removing from the pan and saucing. Gave em about 10min for the sauce to glaze. 

It’s crazy how tender and flavourful these come out. If you haven’t seen this blog before, thought I would share. 

Followed the method above and the chicken turned out great.  Easy cook too.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.