Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Habanero and Roasted Garlic Salsa

dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,265
edited February 2020 in EggHead Forum
Whole Foods had habaneros for the first time in forever so I picked up a bunch. I made a Yucatan Habanero and Roasted Garlic Salsa. It brings the heat but was manageable. OT because I didn't use/need the egg for this one.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/extra-hot-yucatan-style-salsa-recipe.html

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Reads like a winner to me.  Always game for anything with habaneros.  I will definitely give this a go but likely on the BGE as I don't have any supervised cleanup with the BGE.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I’m a heat lover but I think that’s beyond my tolerance.  Ay yai yai!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • 24 habaneros! Holy smokes. I make a tomatillo habanero salsa that has 2lbs of tomatillo to 1.5 habaneros and it is spicy AF. 

I would still hit this one but my god, man. Not for civilian use. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    edited February 2020
    I have no idea how anyone could enjoy the 24 count habaneros in this recipe.
    Below is a wimp shot of a whole head of garlic and 4 habaneros that I fired up this evening.  (For you fire-wire vigilantes, yes a gift several years ago from a family member but it worked).  After the peel and add the recipe recommended fruit juices I let it cool a bit and then grabbed a tortilla chip with a low key amount of salsa.  Now that was heat...so just to make sure I was not adult beverage influenced I went again X2.  I will pay for that error Weds AM.  
    Great flavour but dang...

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dmourati
    I made mine with just 5 habs. Kinda want to try the original recipe for a comparison.
    Mountain View, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I love homemade salsa and love every time it shows up on the forum.  I couldn't handle that much habanero.  I agree with the flock that I'd have to seriously limit how many I'd put into a salsa.

Thanks for sharing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    Community service post here- after a few days of recovery from the test kitchen adventure ( :) ) I decided that since this concoction has been resting, time to go again.  Great flavour but the heat is still out there (or I am a true wimp) but one can actually get an ingredients based tasting experience.  I will go again at some point because I really like what habaneros bring to anything.  FWIW-
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • dmourati
    I went the full monty on this one tonight. I don't know if I have any sinuses left.

Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    @dmourati - I truly cannot imagine the heat when you blend it up.  I would guess the garlic would be totally lost??
  • dmourati
    I ate some tonight. It was pretty good. Pure heat with a little bit of fruit maybe. I don't know if I could detect the garlic tbh.
    Mountain View, CA
  • I'm about to grill the whole recipe. Wish me luck! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Holy hell that's good. And hot 

• OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH OUCH FML 

• The flavor rocks, then it rocks your world. 

This is NOT a salsa you eat with chips, more like a little dab on a taco or something. It's really tasty 

• lousubcap
    Surfacing on a profile that can get you hooked if you enjoy heat but also the pass thru flavour of the food you are enjoying.  Mind you I have not ramped up to the advertised number of habaneros in the opening salsa by any stretch but the following is based on only 6 included habaneros (first time was at the 4 level);
    This is dang near addictive for a great flavour blend.  I did go with around a bulb and a half of garlic cloves and plan to do a side-by-side including two charred tomatillos for the next round.  FWIW-
  • My wife decided she likes it, and we have been eating it straight up. It's hot, but so so flavorful! 

• lousubcap
    My wife decided she likes it, and we have been eating it straight up. It's hot, but so so flavorful! 
    Color me totally impressed.  Great that you and your wife are on the same high-heat plane.  This may be one of those where instead my incremental approach I just need to go "all in" as the maybe the true flavour profile is in the total heat component package. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.   B)
    The judgement gene is still wrestling with this concept.   =)

• I am a total idiot when it comes to heat. I won't turn down a hot challenge 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I'm going to have to make this. Habaneros have a great taste / heat profile. My current go to chilli powder is made from dried habaneros with some of my home grown dried chillies mixed in. It is HOT.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I make a Habanero salsa that is named "Agent Orange" 
    It is made with habaneros, carrots, onions, and garlic. Vinegar is used to thin the sauce to the proper consistency.   
    The carrots act as a filler- it gives the orange color.
    The sauce is really good on Mexican food.
    It can also be used to clean pennies or strip paint.
  • Eoin
    No habaneros at the supermarket today, so made do with a mix of red and green chillies.

• lousubcap
    @ Eoin - That salsa looks great.  How's the flavour profile??
  • dmourati
    @milesvdustin
    QQ: how'd you keep your salsa looking so orange? I just looked at my last attempt and it was a sort of putrid brown/black color I think from the fact that I heavily blackened the habs and garlic. I'm guessing you were more careful in cooking yours or you peeled more of the blackened parts off before blending.

I bought some carrots today for the next go around to help make it look a little more appetizing in orange color.
    Mountain View, CA
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I didnt grill mine to the point of extreme charring. I would say 40-50% of the pepper surface was charred or dark brown. 

I have a couple tablespoons left of this. Gonna have to make another batch before the coronavirus gets us 

• Eoin
    lousubcap said:
    @ Eoin - That salsa looks great.  How's the flavour profile??
    Flavour was really nice, mild heat and a good smoky / roasted taste. I'm glad I did it to try out even without the availability of habaneros as it was a good test run! We ate it with egg mayonaise and cheese. I normally fry up some chillies to go in the egg mayonaise, so this time the chilli was added on top as salsa.
  • lousubcap
    @milesvdustin - with that salsa you've got no worries regarding the coronavirus.  It doesn't stand a chance.  
  • Eoin
    lousubcap said:
    @milesvdustin - with that salsa you've got no worries regarding the coronavirus.  It doesn't stand a chance.  
    That and some brown water.
  • lousubcap
    Okay- I stayed with the six (wimp here) pack of habaneros and did add a couple of charred tomatillos.  
    In reasonable doses this is becoming a regular cook.  I don't see climbing the ladder any further than the six but perhaps on a dark and stormy night I may give it an elevated go.  Compared to jalas the market here is proud of habaneros... $7/lb.    "Fire in the hole-modern version!"