Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Fried Chicken with Green Chili Corn Waffles

In the recent spirit of posting cooks I’ll offer this up to the collective. I made this earlier in the week as a trial run and then again tonight for my nephew and his family. My wife really likes it so that’s a plus as well. 
Here’s the recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/mexican-fried-chicken-waffles-recipe.html?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly

I am not a huge fan of chicken and waffles. It seems to be something folks either really like or it’s - meh... This recipe tipped me from meh to really enjoying them. Instead of serving them with salsa and Mexican crema I made a syrup with piloncillo. Here is that recipe:
https://www.laylita.com/recipes/miel-de-panela-recipe/

The most fun for me was making the waffles. I have an old cast iron waffle iron that was gifted to me by the father of one of my good friends. This old gent is in his late eighties. It’s just fun to use this old stuff - and it made great waffles. I have a little charcoal stove it sits on well 

Made guacamole to put on the waffle.

I didn’t get picks of frying the chicken. I was being “encouraged” to get supper on the table. The coating for the chicken is pretty tasty though - lots of chili powder, paprika, cumin along with cornmeal and masa. Chicken was marinated in a buttermilk and hot sauce mixture. The spices make the coating dark and in this picture appear overly browned. They actually have a nice reddish color from the paprika and chili powder. 

Thanks for looking. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Ok asshat. Now you are just showing off. 
    Lol
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    If it's got green chile, I'm in! Looks amazing! I'll have to give it a try!
    Southern California
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Your game has no down side.

When we were in Italy over the holidays, we stopped in a place, PM me later for the name, as I can't remember, but it was supposed to be one of the finest places to dine in all of Italy, and our experience there gave us no reason to doubt it.

Anyway, sorry for the rabbit hole....but on the menu, swear to all that is holy....chicken and waffles. The children all ordered a plate of them, and said they were the best thing they ever had. 

They called it Aztec....guac on  the waffles.

Our soon to be daughter in law, (we think hope and pray) is from El Salvador, and she told us it was a very familiar seasoned chicken dish. Whatever. I think that was my favorite place we dined. It was in Venice.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    @YukonRon That is a fascinating story. I would not have thought a meal like this would show up in an Italian restaurant. Central, or South America - I can believe. I like Aztec as a replacement for guacamole. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • What an interesting combination of flavors. Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Bueno bueno !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm not much of a fan of chix and waffles, but I could definitely get behind this. 

I'll occasionally add rice flour to make waffles crispy, but will try some cornmeal next time. 

And that waffle iron is too cool for school. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I quit! You win this round! Great looking cook!  

Brandon - Ohio

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    This really looks incredible and your cooks never cease to amaze me. Thanks for sharing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    I would not mind chowing down on a big plate of that.  Nice work!
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Damn son 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have to agree with John; you are just showing off. Man you can cook!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I love you posts, simple, or complicated, they are always an inspiration for me to try new things.  Thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SciAggie
    Thank y’all for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    dayum mon . . . great cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap