Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Astronomy Nerds OT

30 years ago today, Voyager 1 sent back an image of a light dot, a spec captured in a sunbeam:You can see it, a tiny pixel about midway through the beam.

Carl Sagan said this:

"Look again at that dot. That’s here. That’s home. That’s us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every ‘superstar,’ every ‘supreme leader,’ every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."

This image was captured just prior to shutting down most instruments to save power as it began its orbit of Saturn, allowing the batteries to recharge.

Our significance in the universe is nothing. Our significance to mankind is everything.

Think about our planet folks. It is all we will ever have.

Sorry for the geek out.

Peace

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Pretty Cool
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Voyager 1 and 2 are the (or some of ) the  greatest achievements of mankind 

*can’t wait to see how this thread somehow turns political * 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2020

Crazy that image is just within our own Solar System. Coolest thing I ever did in New York City was visit the Museum of Natural History. Inside they have a Planetarium. Once you exit the show there are plaques surrounding the sphere which represents our sun in our solar system. They start by showing you your size relative to the sphere and they gradually expand from there. Sphere relative to the upper west side of manhattan, manhattan to the US. The US to earth, The earth to the sun, the Sun to our Solar system, etc. By the time you move 50ft down the hall you are out of our galaxy and our solar system is the size of that dot you show above. There's still another 200ft worth of plaques left to read beyond that and they represent the known universe. That was truly a cool experience.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    One of my favorite images. It really does make you put things into perspective. Thx for sharing!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Voyager 1 and 2 are the (or some of ) the  greatest achievements of mankind 

I have always been an Astronomy nerd.

This post hopefully will not trigger political responses, however, I cannot control what other people say or do.

One of the main reasons I look forward to retirement, is buying some land around 6000 to 7000 ft ASL in order to continue my amature exploration of the night sky.

One of the most amazing and spectacular phenomena I have ever had the chance to witness, is the clear night sky, unwashed from the city lights, at elevation. 

Everyone can find the big dipper at night. Imagine if you will so many bright stars at night making it not so easy to do.

That has happened to me on a few occasions, one of the most memorable was backpacking at night across Death Valley, in a low basin to summit climb.

There was no moon. The stars were bright enough to push enough light where I not only cast a shadow, but needed no light to see where I was going. The spiral of the Milky Way exploded in so much color across the sky.

I agree with you. V1 AND V2 are amongst the greatest achievements of mankind.

Thank you for looking, appreciate the comments.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Dyal_SC said:
    One of my favorite images. It really does make you put things into perspective. Thx for sharing!
    Thank you sir. It does for me too...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Prose Poem On The Mind's Universe I - Poem by Jonathan ROBIN

If the mind may be a universe unto itself, may the universe be a mind unto itself, and, if so, can it mind that minds can can, or cannot can, or encapsulate along a dotted line frame form spurning former formal form frames as fresh fusion transforms confusion into a cohesive constellation of potential energy particles?

A state me[a]ntal line, desperate to [t]race light, as if its existence depended upon its s[p]eed, soars, curving, arching, starching star I Ching through the marching universe, attempting to reach, underscore, and underline itself although temporal continuum discrepancies perpetually portray parallelax perceptions as spinning personnified neutrons mocking both judgemental convictions and neutrality. Is everything relativity one [m]asks laughing at Draconian measures?

There is nothing irregular in this. Prominence accorded one moment fades the next, today's priorities, yesterday's prior I tease, and tomorrow’s pry I or It ease are part and parcel of the universe whose core decor we decorticate with just gusto, whose pluridimensional kernel we explore with the holistic overview you will grow to expect from few others.

Standing upon no ceremony, anxious to rotate upon its axis as if ALL IS WAS and remains ALL, and through ALL [s]kidding in light despite gravity, quark sparks affect all levels of sidereal cosmic consciousness. Fractal constellations collide_o_scope as alien comet commits head and tail, making neither head nor tail of the tale until the circle reforms an image impression expression of harmony, a symphony of sound and fury signifying nothing and nevertheless opening the doors of perception to [f]all into itself and spiral out from itself in a self–consuming, no holds barred, explosion of temporal cause/effect ripple rhymes.

Voyager longs to [l]ink the pages of the Present, intertwining Past and Future, and, in longhand letters large as life, rights preconceptions, decyphers the ingenuous genius or GENE_I_US ensuring that the door of insight and enlightenment is ever ajar. The portal’s gateway, dwarf to giant, giant to dwarf, seems elusive, out of context to all beholders, too narrow or too wide to those evanescent/effervescent who ephemerally flicker through their three score years and ten. The proverbial giant’s seedbed is always too long for some, too short for others, stretching a point for some, reducing to a full stop, yet ever trying to make ends meet.

Up and over: layers of primary consciousness, 'wait' changed state as, weight dissolved, memory's backwash flashback switchbacks and side tracks in an elliptic voyage away from the temptation of falling back on itself.

Back to and from big bang basics a-muse-sing contradiction in terms, spans the bridge between Whence/ Wither and Cause/Effect echoing relay race of Eternity's comings and goings, ebbings and flowings, knowings and unknowings as the cycle gears up, peers/appears over hair-splitting layers of primary unconsciousness.

Verbal wake-shake takes time out for its own acorn ache sake without making flaking rhyme. The chronological water shed the logical and fed from the Titan Chronos' legendary meal, taking from the Gods that from which they themselves once partook while spinning topsy-turvy from the asteroid belt, through the blue and green rings around Saturn's void to beyond Andromeda and Sirius, semi seriously scorning, on the Way, sapiens’ downgrading of Pluto as spin spin. It is as if an innate photosphere may take FORM MORF FROM weaveworld cluster words, arising even within an APed vacuum environment, then rocket to feed upon its own momentum independantly of any external reference to its own refractive index.

Core mutates into corona swallowing its own black hole – metamorphosis pluridimensionnal as kernel is uprooted and downloaded from the inner recesses of the mind’s overload, that dark fertile area where creativity restlessly and relentlessly anticipates release, extrapolates an upgrade empowering innate ability to bust its own bounds, to burst into nut gut activity, itself both an appendix to and starting block for its perpetual spiral.

Warp and weft, bereft of references, dance a double helix under the sum sun of understanding, st[r]anding both apart from and a part of the hole that leads the whole into and out of and from itself.

The universal soul awaits inspiration to send sap soaring, outpouring from core ring at all levels. Tendrils tentatively touch, tenderly tease to deracinate, sensate and stretch sate tortured spiritual synapses, neurons run amok mock new runs. Explosion of consciousness calls all, especially itself, into question. In this contest context apocalypse is out of the question as evolution is all. Evolution being response, revolution reaction being … reaction when seen through the holistic lens of fractal and frangible time fractions’ mirror reflections, with or without intelligent design.

Voyager reflects prismatically and chromatically upon all aspects of awareness, the soul works on the Will to redefine the Way as harmony and chaos complete each other as cosmic and karmic interplay evolve revolving around each other, yin, yang, learning yearning earning spurning before returning to city zen. Voyager wakes, works on the Will, finds, refines, redefines and realigns the Way, which, in its turn, underlines individual inability to assign its paradoxical convergent_seas to seize the day,

Out of the blue, out of sight insight bolt is shot, hangs momentarily as if in animated suspension. Bridge ridge ego echo shuttles between indifferent indigence and indignant insignificance with polychromatical iridescent independent resonance.

Time and Space here conspire to offset kinetic energy wiring siring to fire the Ages with some aeon neon neant light dissolving need for conceptual anchors. Inner liberty retains and sustains relevence, solving descriptions of descriptions of inside/outside interdependant fractal interface tracings pacing the space outline of straight line meta-mode mind-sets. Ideas telescope, eclipse preconceptions as viking rover asail upon the currents of an interstellar imagination keys into the flow and flows into the key of second sight, its 'figure_head' blue and yellow prow cleaving the cancer of straitjacket limitations from the seas of infinity.

Pivot and pillow wo[l]rd challenge tenets of Ti[m]e and P[l]ace, ful[l]crum[b]s of the soul’s immortality, seeking to block the spirit’s fleeting winking inking thinking linking greeting shrinking within itself. Imaginations satellite in an irregular orbit, at times emitting, at times sitting, at times receiving, and ever dovetailing stimuli into experience as some thinklings are accorded prominence a moment before pride preceding ride receding poses and reposes circular questions on the origin and aim flair flare flame of the universe.

TIME AND PLACE LAND, PACE, EMIT, check balance, equilibrium equipoise, awaiting the meeting mutating mate to mating for DEEP CLAIMANT before they DECIMATE PLAN. From first letters to final ph[r]ase, alpha to omega, [l]inked upon the page, words spread across white sheet. No meager ephemeral echo or timeless trace stocked upon random memory.

Time called, without recall of the how or the why, where data retention can catalyze invention not to mention pretention; two sides of one coin purloined by the ME in TIME IT being essential to dot the I and cross the T for [m]asked witness to Man’s transient mirage.

There is neither full stop nor one stop shop. The dots continue to race onwards, replace and reposition each other as morse code inroads through reception into perception and out through introspection or possibly deception, self or other wise, punctuating the whole until the hole becomes an end in itself opening onto infinite options... Venus is Mars, Mars, Venus “that is all ye know on Earth, and all ye need to know”, must matter matter when OORT can take ROOT, and, oh dear! dropp an O and transform its innate ROTOR into ORT and TOR, wrought with neither RETORT nor TORT throughout the galaxy?

Borderline inspiration spans yet spurns ego echo, nowhere, everywhere, are found both to wear and to tear the same surround. Wave lengths ripple as dust flies, inspiration's spent cartridge hangs upon silent peaks. Voyager’s eyes speak silence.

@nolaegghead

Right on.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

True, but keep in mind they were before we (mankind) invented the McRib.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    thetrim said:

I thought McGod invented the McRib when he designed McAdam, then stole it back to make McEve so she could do something with a snake or whatever.
    thetrim said:

Or the internet for public use. The jury is still out on that one.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    I'm in on looking up.  In Western Nebr. we have an area called the Sandhills, it rates well for lack of light pollution.  Makes for some amazing views upward.  And shooting stars are fairly common when away from city lights.
    I saw this map several days back, sharing for those that might also be interested.....
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited February 2020
    Been looking up since childhood - summer evenings, mom marched us kids out to the driveway.  I’d lie back on the macadam that still held the days warmth.  Back then we could clearly see the Milky Way.  Haven’t seen MW in about 35 years - was visiting a sister who was living mountainside near Mt Rogers in southwest Virginia.

RIP Jack Horkheimer 
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    thetrim said:

I thought McGod invented the McRib when he designed McAdam, then stole it back to make McEve so she could do something with a snake or whatever.
    And the McApple which of course lead to what we know today as just the Macintosh. 

Gods plan and all that. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I’m going with cosmic. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Best night time sky I have seen is on a road between Hawthorne, NV and Yosemite NP. Absolutley amazing.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Amazing picture that I haven't seen before, but I have a question:
    What caused the "sunbeams"??  On Earth, they are caused by either clouds, or distant mountains breaking up the Sun's rays right at dawn or dusk.  The only thing I can think of to break up the Sun's rays that far out would be the Asteroid Belt, between Mars and Jupiter; but this pic was taken just short of Saturn??  That's too far out, angular-wise.  
    I hope someone can answer this for me.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    YukonRon said:
    One of the most amazing and spectacular phenomena I have ever had the chance to witness, is the clear night sky, unwashed from the city lights, at elevation. 

That has happened to me on a few occasions, one of the most memorable was backpacking at night across Death Valley, in a low basin to summit climb.

There was no moon. The stars were bright enough to push enough light where I not only cast a shadow, but needed no light to see where I was going. The spiral of the Milky Way exploded in so much color across the sky. 
    Ron, one hot summer I camped up in the High Uintas, northeast UT (and the only mountain range in North America that runs east-west) and I decided to sleep under the stars, not in my tent.  Crawled in after the Sun went down and wasn't hitting the atmosphere anymore (no color in the sky), but it was still skimming just above the atmosphere, and all the "meteors" I thought I was seeing, were actually satellites, glinting in the Sun!!  I was amazed at how many chunks of metal/glass we've thrown up there.    

I've also gone out to Great Basin Nat'l Park, near the UT/NV border; it's supposedly the most remote, and darkest, spot in the continental US.  Brought my tripod, best camera, and lots of fast lenses to shoot the night sky, even remembered to bring the battery charger.
    To the wrong camera!  Gaahhh!  My battery died just taking a few scenic shots in the afternoon, and there I sat.  Will have to try this again now that I have a bit more spare time.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Not too nerdy :) Good stuff. George Carlin said it profoundly:

"The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!"

He's a comedian. But makes you think, perhaps it's more about mankind than the planet. It will be around long after our kind.

Thanks for the post, and for helping put perspective into perspective :)
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:
    Amazing picture that I haven't seen before, but I have a question:
    What caused the "sunbeams"??  On Earth, they are caused by either clouds, or distant mountains breaking up the Sun's rays right at dawn or dusk.  The only thing I can think of to break up the Sun's rays that far out would be the Asteroid Belt, between Mars and Jupiter; but this pic was taken just short of Saturn??  That's too far out, angular-wise.  
    I hope someone can answer this for me.  

" The light bands across the photograph are an artifact, the result of sunlight reflecting off parts of the camera and its sunshade, due to the relative proximity between the Sun and the Earth."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Derp!
    Not too nerdy :) Good stuff. George Carlin said it profoundly:

"The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles … hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages … And we think some plastic bags and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet isn’t going anywhere. WE are!"

He's a comedian. But makes you think, perhaps it's more about mankind than the planet. It will be around long after our kind.

Thanks for the post, and for helping put perspective into perspective :)
    Chris
    The earth don't care.  It will be around, changing, for billions of years....long after we are gone.  Until the sun dies, slowly, then roasts the planet.

What we, man, are doing is causing the extinctions of thousands upon thousands of other species.  Prematurely.  And we know better.  

We suck.
    Go to Jasper National Park. Second largest dark sky preserve in the world. 
  • JohnEggGio
    We honeymooned there - in summer - you cannot see stars.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I had a vastly different experience 
  • JohnEggGio
    I had a vastly different experience 
    Wish I had your experience, I was quite disappointed.  Our experience was, it was “dark” from about 11:30 pm to about 4:30 am, and the upper atmosphere was almost always somewhat illuminated.  I hoped for stars - saw none.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • YukonRon
    Botch said:
    YukonRon said:

Ron, one hot summer I camped up in the High Uintas, northeast UT (and the only mountain range in North America that runs east-west) and I decided to sleep under the stars, not in my tent.  Crawled in after the Sun went down and wasn't hitting the atmosphere anymore (no color in the sky), but it was still skimming just above the atmosphere, and all the "meteors" I thought I was seeing, were actually satellites, glinting in the Sun!!  I was amazed at how many chunks of metal/glass we've thrown up there.    

I've also gone out to Great Basin Nat'l Park, near the UT/NV border; it's supposedly the most remote, and darkest, spot in the continental US.  Brought my tripod, best camera, and lots of fast lenses to shoot the night sky, even remembered to bring the battery charger.
    To the wrong camera!  Gaahhh!  My battery died just taking a few scenic shots in the afternoon, and there I sat.  Will have to try this again now that I have a bit more spare time.  
    Sorry about the camera, I have been there. I have missed so many shots in my life, it is sickening.

As strange as this may seem, we are looking at region that includes, but not limited to: NE UT, NW WY, SW MT, NW CO, SE ID. That puts us relative to where we want to spend the rest of our lives doing what we love.

So, I will share this....

My Beautiful Wife, Suzy, has been a city girl all of her life. She was never aware of the wonders of the night sky, and had never seen the Milky Way.

I really did not discover that she had not, until we were backpacking one evening in the Alpine region of Yosemite, as we were coming out of a stand of trees. Along the hike, I was pointing out things we could see from time to time, through the trees, in the sky as the night grew darker.

That is when she told me she never seen the Milky Way. I was surprised, but not stunned. So, I had a plan, and fortunately or unfortunately, her life changed, literally, that evening. I made her keep her eyes closed until I could get her in the place, when she opened her eyes, she would see it for the first time in her life, exploding across the sky.

That was my chance.

That is when she said she would marry me.

That is why she has become an avid outdoor sports participant, and that is why we are moving out west.

Big skys, Beautiful night skys, to share with My Beautiful Wife.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    dbCooper said:
    I'm in on looking up.  In Western Nebr. we have an area called the Sandhills, it rates well for lack of light pollution.  Makes for some amazing views upward.  And shooting stars are fairly common when away from city lights.
    I saw this map several days back, sharing for those that might also be interested.....
    Fascinating read, thank you for sharing. Loved the other associated articles too.

I had been aware of The Sandhills area, as I have a friend in Nebraska that has mentioned an area to me as a destination to go for stargazing the next time I am out. I am pretty sure that is it. Thank you for the reminder.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Been looking up since childhood - summer evenings, mom marched us kids out to the driveway.  I’d lie back on the macadam that still held the days warmth.  Back then we could clearly see the Milky Way.  Haven’t seen MW in about 35 years - was visiting a sister who was living mountainside near Mt Rogers in southwest Virginia.

RIP Jack Horkheimer 
    My fascination with the night sky began at an early age. Raised in a boys home in the shadows of Appalachia, there was not much to do.

We had a used telescope donated to the home, and nobody knew how to use it. I took it out every night and just looked through it to find the moon.

I would sit out there and just draw what I could see....I had notebooks full of moon drawings. I had no life.

Still try to catch it when I can, every chance I get, still have the same feeling of amazement.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky