Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for daily driver?

Any of you fine folks drive a Wrangler Unlimited daily? I don’t mean from your garage to your mailbox or down the street for some milk. I mean commuting. I’m about to start new car shopping and the JLUs are tempting me. What’s your experience on reliability with them?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    A friend of mine bought one, we drove it from central California down Baja Ca to Cabo San Lucas about 1400 miles with One ( overnight ) Stop, rode great, was very comfortable no issues great on gas....snappy quick ...........my 2 cents  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited February 2020
    Will you be taking it off road? I drive a 4Runner as my commuter and take it off road quite a bit. All I’ve done to it is put some Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tire’s on it and it handles everything I need it to off road but is still comfortable to drive ~40 miles for my daily commute. On top of that it’s reliable and over 8 years very cheap to keep on the road. 

I see so many of those Wranglers driving around town that have never been on dirt and I wonder why people buy what’s got a reputation of not being high on the reliability list to drive on asphalt. If actual off roading is in your sights then it will be a fun car but if all it’s going to see is an overflow dirt parking lot at a concert I personally don’t see the point. 

And yes, I’ve owned a Jeep and it was fun... off road. Granted it was a 2 door. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    would have to be a 4 door, the two doors wander a bit at highway speeds especially if you upgrade the tires. would be worried more on crash safety. resale is way up there and really dont know why other than its a jeep thing. the ones ive driven both hard top and soft are noisy. i would buy one as i do like the looks of the new pickup models.  not sure they got away from the upcounty/ off road suspension that used to be on the earlier rubicon models, those just road better, finding that suspension in a lot was difficult
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    My SIL has done it for years. Blows me away. The ride sucks and they are noisy. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I had the same thought last summer. Stopped and drove one for the weekend.

Considering it was 57k and as @DoubleEgger mentioned rode like a tank, I passed
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Cornholio said:
    Will you be taking it off road? I drive a 4Runner as my commuter and take it off road quite a bit. All I’ve done to it is put some Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tire’s on it and it handles everything I need it to off road but is still comfortable to drive ~40 miles for my daily commute. On top of that it’s reliable and over 8 years very cheap to keep on the road. 

I see so many of those Wranglers driving around town that have never been on dirt and I wonder why people buy what’s got a reputation of not being high on the reliability list to drive on asphalt. If actual off roading is in your sights then it will be a fun car but if all it’s going to see is an overflow dirt parking lot at a concert I personally don’t see the point. 

And yes, I’ve owned a Jeep and it was fun... off road. Granted it was a 2 door. 

I currently own a 4runner as well, a Gen 4 with 255,000miles on it. I love the 4runner but I've grown tired of them teasing the redesign for the last 10 years. Its always "Next year". Were I to buy the Wrangler I would join the North Texas Jeep Club and on occasion take it offroad at those meetups. I would say 95% of my driving would be around town and commuting. I don't really care about gas mileage. My main concern is reliability. THAT is whats got me concerned about the Jeeps.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited February 2020
    ya, I am fully aware of the drive quality of the wranglers as my brothers owned 3 of them over the years. There is just something cool about them. If the new 4runners were out, I would probably have zero hesitation to buy another one. But I just don't want to buy a 2020 and then they FINALLY do redesign them next year. I put 20k miles a year on my cars and keep them a decade. Last thing I want is the previous Generation 10 years from now.

• WeberWho said:
    I don't know if I'd care that much what it looks like if your old one has given you 255,000 trouble free miles. Sounds like a winner to me. I don't know much about Jeep Wranglers but it isn't going to give you 255,000 trouble free miles. 
    Ya, other than routine maintenance, all I have done to it is replace the radiator about 50K miles ago and the AC has been fixed once. I'd call that a winner too. The other thing that I HATE with the 4runner is the 5spd transmission. Its old, sluggish and past its prime. Its just felt like to me they have put minimal investment into it because they aren't even sure if they want to keep it in the lineup. Everything about the new ones is basically the same as it was 15 years ago with minor cosmetic changes.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    If I'm not mistaking @Jeremiah wife has one and he's a mechanic by trade if I'm not mistaking or in that field of work. I recall him ragging on his wife's Wrangler with all the issues it had already. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I would agree 100% on the 4 door. It’s like driving a Cadillac compared to the 2 door. Also for daily driver you want a hard top. 
    We “compromised” on an automatic. For a daily I’d go auto as well. 
  • Cornholio
    WeberWho said:
    I don't know if I'd care that much what it looks like if your old one has given you 255,000 trouble free miles. Sounds like a winner to me. I don't know much about Jeep Wranglers but it isn't going to give you 255,000 trouble free miles. 
    Ya, other than routine maintenance, all I have done to it is replace the radiator about 50K miles ago and the AC has been fixed once. I'd call that a winner too. The other thing that I HATE with the 4runner is the 5spd transmission. Its old, sluggish and past its prime. Its just felt like to me they have put minimal investment into it because they aren't even sure if they want to keep it in the lineup. Everything about the new ones is basically the same as it was 15 years ago with minor cosmetic changes.
    I find the 4Runner has plenty of pep and the reason they stick with that motor etc is because it works, well. Seems like you are concerned about reliability and a quick google search lists the wrangler towards the bottom in that department in many of those lists. 

For an off road toy you want to tinker with and modify, absolutely. Reliable daily driver, keep your credit card ready. Just don’t get the all white package or else you’ll need to join the other moms at Starbucks after dropping the kids off at practice.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:
    I don't know too much about Toyota but it might be like GM's 3800 series engines. I think GM had them in cars for over 30 years. If it ain't broke why fix it theories. It might be the same with the 4-Runner and why Toyota hasn't made big changes with it. Just my assumption. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cornholio said:
    Just don’t get the all white package or else you’ll need to join the other moms at Starbucks after dropping the kids off at practice.
    THAT is another concern. Awful lot of soccer moms and teenage girls driving them around here. Hell, maybe Ill just stick to another 4runner. Its hard to argue with 15years and 255,000 relatively worry free miles.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    As a previous Wrangler and Grand Cherokee owner I will keep my 2015 Trail 4Runner.
    There is a massive aftermarket for Wranglers but it’s rabbit hole to chase with piles of cash and hours wrenching. Ride sucks and noisy. I haven’t peeked lately but owner forums were full of major issues a while back. I like the boring reliability, low maintenance and very capable off road capability of my 4R thanks. If you’re looking for some excitement and bored with your 4R the Wrangler will give it to you in ways you’re not used to. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    ya, I am fully aware of the drive quality of the wranglers as my brothers owned 3 of them over the years. There is just something cool about them. If the new 4runners were out, I would probably have zero hesitation to buy another one. But I just don't want to buy a 2020 and then they FINALLY do redesign them next year. I put 20k miles a year on my cars and keep them a decade. Last thing I want is the previous Generation 10 years from now.
    The last years of a design generally have the fewest issues. Conversely first year models tend to have a bunch problems to be ironed out in subsequent years. 
  • Cornholio
    edited February 2020
    I would get a used, low mileage FJ Cruiser.  Noisy, rough ride, blind spots everywhere, but the Wrangler makes it seem like a Lincoln.  Rail chassis, tons of suspension travel and plenty of cargo room makes it useful on and off the road.  They don't make 'em anymore, and they hold their value so used ain't cheap, but personally, that would be my solution.

Image result for FJ Cruiser decked out
    I almost got one but opted for the 4Runner since I knew kids were in my future. We just got back from the Eastern Sierras in my 4Runner and with all the getting in and out we did with two kids in car seats I am glad I have the 4 doors. 

That thing you posted is badars though. 
  • bubbajack said:
    4x4 F-150 Lariat with the 5.0......Thank me later.
    I’m not much of a truck guy. Thanks for the suggestion though

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have a two door Jeep Wrangler. It is an older model, 2005 TJ 6 speed manual. It is definitely not my every day driver. I really like my Jeep and I enjoy driving it but I wouldn’t want to have drive it every day. To me it is a secondary vehicle for hunting, fishing, and just playing around with.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited February 2020
    Drove a Wrangler in college. Was fun at first but learned to hate it over time. Noisy AF and a terrible ride. This was 20 years ago though... they may be way different now. I would never take a vehicle off-road unless you are comfortable breaking everything down yourself. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    bubbajack said:
    4x4 F-150 Lariat with the 5.0......Thank me later.
    I’m not much of a truck guy. Thanks for the suggestion though

Bummer....

Rides like a Cadillac....almost.
    Quiet as a Lexis.....almost
    Runs like a Mustang....almost
    Room for 6 adults.....almost
    Bunch of room for cargo....
    You can pull a boat, RV, or a Jeep
    Will benefit from the lowest depreciation rates of most cars.
    Get 20 MPG on the road.

And you would look cool like me! B)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Cornholio
    SonVolt said:
    Drove a Wrangler in college. Was fun at first but learned to hate it over time. Noisy AF and a terrible ride. This was 20 years ago though... they may be way different now. I would never take a vehicle off-road unless you are comfortable breaking everything down yourself. 
    Huh? I read this as saying you should never leave asphalt unless you can tear apart a car and rebuild it. Please elaborate. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited February 2020
    I think I can live with something like this. But maybe with a little bit smaller wheels.

• Cornholio
    I think I can live with something like this. But maybe with a little bit smaller wheels.

I am not into those big rims either, seems cosmetic to me. I want more rubber than wheel. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited February 2020
    A little closer to my style. Just don’t want white again. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Have you considered the Jeep Trackhawk?  645 ft-lbs of torque, 0-62 in 3.5 seconds; makes your commute so much better!   B)

https://youtu.be/er0c3iMvc7k

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Cornholio said:
    I would get a used, low mileage FJ Cruiser.  Noisy, rough ride, blind spots everywhere, but the Wrangler makes it seem like a Lincoln.  Rail chassis, tons of suspension travel and plenty of cargo room makes it useful on and off the road.  They don't make 'em anymore, and they hold their value so used ain't cheap, but personally, that would be my solution.

Image result for FJ Cruiser decked out
    I almost got one but opted for the 4Runner since I knew kids were in my future. We just got back from the Eastern Sierras in my 4Runner and with all the getting in and out we did with two kids in car seats I am glad I have the 4 doors. 

That thing you posted is badars though. 

I'd take it as long as I could mount a .50 cal on top
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho said:
     Hate is a strong word for a slush box you abused for .25 million miles and never gave a bit of trouble. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.