Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Comments

• @Botch....congrats on the retirement! Now it’s time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    @Botch All the best to you during this next chapter. I hope to follow you in a few years. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    @Botch.  Good for you!  My wife retired at 50 and I followed at 58.  Best decisions we ever made, we wish you all the best.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Botch said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    Wondering if tomorrow is @Botch s last Monday in the working world....  
    Actually, last Monday was.  And I'm happy, as today (this Monday) the whole of Utard got hit bad with snowstorms, even had avalanche warnings in the valleys, something that hasn't happened that I can remember.  Many schools were closed, and expected low-teens temps tomorrow morning.  
    I sipped hot tea, looking out the window, in my Bunny slippers.   :)
    Congrats buddy. We fully expect to see you at Butt Blast this year. #noexcuses
  • 465 bucks worth of dental work on my dog. 
    Just make sure he doesn’t end up with a smile that outshines your own. 
  • @Botch welcome to the club of ex government engineers. Going to keep your license?
  • @Botch: Awesome. Congratulations. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    @Botch welcome to the club of ex government engineers. Going to keep your license?
    I never pursued my PE, as it didn't seem to count for anything in the Guv'mint.  I have a BS in ME, MS in IE, and an Associate's Degree in Munitions Tech (blowing **** up) but more importantly I've held Top Secret, NATO Top Secret, CNWDI, ATOMAL, COZMIC and two compartmentalized clearances, which is very valuable should I pursue a contractor job (the Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (replacement for the Minuteman III) is ramping up big-time here at Hill AFB).  Northrop-Grumman, BAE and the smaller subcontractors are looking for engineers, and those clearances (even deactivated) are a feather in my cap, should I get bored and want to work more (I'm 59).

So far, not bored.   =)  I'll know which route I'm gonna take in a couple more months; it's a big change.  

@Gulfcoastguy, what did you do while in the guv'mint?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @Botch, I was a project engineer (Civil) for the state DOT.  Just a BS but I do have the PE. I was a jack of all trades with several certifications. Mostly the bonded engineer in charge of construction projects. Anything unusual that other engineers didn’t want to do: truck weigh stations, public rest areas, sewage treatment plants, relocation of utilities for upcoming construction, checking and correcting any construction plans assigned to me to build ( or as I called it un Fing them), road construction and maintenance, small bridge replacement, expert witness for eminent domain trials to acquire needed land for all of the items that I mentioned. 

Eventually I got tired of trying to do all of this with insufficient funds and personnel. Frankly I was also tired of dealing with federal agencies. I ran the retirement calculus and it said retire. After 34 years in service my net pension is about what I was making. Of course that isn’t wealthy but I should stay middle class unless my taxes go up drastically.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Botch said:
    @Botch welcome to the club of ex government engineers. Going to keep your license?
    I never pursued my PE, as it didn't seem to count for anything in the Guv'mint.  I have a BS in ME, MS in IE, and an Associate's Degree in Munitions Tech (blowing **** up) but more importantly I've held Top Secret, NATO Top Secret, CNWDI, ATOMAL, COZMIC and two compartmentalized clearances, which is very valuable should I pursue a contractor job (the Ground-Based Strategic Deterrent (replacement for the Minuteman III) is ramping up big-time here at Hill AFB).  Northrop-Grumman, BAE and the smaller subcontractors are looking for engineers, and those clearances (even deactivated) are a feather in my cap, should I get bored and want to work more (I'm 59).

So far, not bored.   =)  I'll know which route I'm gonna take in a couple more months; it's a big change.  

Great Botch, now you're going to be hit on by a dozen Russian femme fatales....

Good knowing you, brother.
    Botch said:

Remember, your contractor rate per hour is a minimum of double your effective hourly rate when on a salary.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited February 2020
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

Remember, your contractor rate per hour is a minimum of double your effective hourly rate when on a salary.
    @Botch you can make a bunch of cash in retirement.  I have a BSEE degree, and get offers of $125/hr to do consulting on new wind farm substation construction.  I just got tired of the weekly conference calls and the corporate BS of the Utility world, and really enjoy being my own boss and setting my own schedule.  

So don’t get sucked into working after you retire, as you only have so many years left of life and you need to enjoy the fruits of your labor!

i really enjoy my woodworking out in the shop in the mornings, and golf with buddies after lunch.  And cocktails after 5. And dinner at 7 off the egg.  It’s a good life! Work was overrated!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I just ordered some new Hogue wood grips. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Damn @Mickey.  How many guns do you own?  How many is enough?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    TN_Egger said:
    Damn @Mickey.  How many guns do you own?  How many is enough?
    Not that many. I sell the often. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    WeberWho said:

Nice!  What are they on?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Mickey said:
    WeberWho said:
    Nice!  What are they on?
    DM sent
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • A new comforter for the boxer dog to sleep on. Belke’s was having a 70% off sale. His old one was a hand me down from the previous boxer.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    New socks, new wedding band, and theater tickets.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Acn said:
    Odd selection of items to buy at 6AM 
  • Acn
    Acn said:
    Odd selection of items to buy at 6AM 
    True, but all stuff I needed and since I couldn't fall back asleep after the dog needed to go out this morning I had a chance to sit at the laptop and do it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Acn said:
    New wedding band? You know your size? I wouldn’t have a clue what mine is or where to start to figure it out. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Sea2Ski said:
    Acn said:
    New wedding band? You know your size? I wouldn’t have a clue what mine is or where to start to figure it out. 
    You can measure that with calipers, right? Sarcasm, I’d have no idea either.
  • Acn
    Sea2Ski said:
    Acn said:
    A couple of years ago we got silicone rings to wear when camping or vacationing, so I know what I’ve been wearing.  I needed to get a nicer one to wear to the office since I’ve dropped about 20 lbs from where I was when we got married.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    that must have been one crazy fat ring finger.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • the GOP. hurry if you want some before Putin snatches it all
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Yesterday I signed papers to get a new truck built that includes all the options I want. ETA is 6-8 weeks, but at least I have a solid truck to drive until the new one gets here. ;) 
    New one is a 2020 (current is a 2019) Silverado 1500 crew cab, 4x4, LTZ Z71 with the technology package (plus both convenience and safety packages) in satin steel (the color I wanted the current truck in, but the salesman pulled the wrong one last year). Once I have this one, I'll be done looking at new trucks for at least a few years. I'd like to say 8-10 years, but knowing me they'll bring something that I like to the table with a future change and I'll want that. :) 
    This will be Silverado #3 for me. 
    If you've owned more than one Chevy truck, look up their Legends membership. Anyone what has owned two or more Chevy trucks can join (it's free). You get cool stuff every quarter via the FedEx elf. ;) Last delivery was a nice coffee mug and coasters.

Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I believe there are some serious margins with those rewards.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • A friggin car stereo with car play. One I bought 4 years ago crapped out outta nowhere. I’m selling this 4runner in like 9months and didn’t wanna have to buy another stereo but oh well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.