Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @NDG - youre winning! Nice loaves. And lovely pic of the kiddo enjoying it :)

How do you get the loaves seeded like that? Haven't figured that out yet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @caliking thanks!  I made a preferment the night before, and did a seed soaker the night before too at this same time.  Toasted all in oven first, then Majority of toasted seeds went in the soaker (just cup of hot h20) as they going in dough (dry seeds soak up too much moisture during bake) when all ingredients mixed.  The remaining seeds that didn’t go in dough stay dry, and to get them stick I just rolled dough on wet towel then rolled right on dry seeds.  It sticks pretty good, then just tossed dough in hot Dutch Oven and bake like normal.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    here’s my bread art 😂😂😂. You all win!

Options
    @paqman That looks good to me brother. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Thanks but I’m not there yet.  I think that I’m over proofing my dough.  I have a hard time doing clean cuts, I’m basically tearing the dough.  I had a few successes... usually when I thought that the dough was under proofed.

Options
    paqman said:
    SciAggie said:
    Thanks but I’m not there yet.  I think that I’m over proofing my dough.  I have a hard time doing clean cuts, I’m basically tearing the dough.  I had a few successes... usually when I thought that the dough was under proofed.
    In my experience you have to be “committed” when you score the dough. Firm and confident - there’s definitely a learning curve. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL extra credit for scoring that circle. Nicely done.

And not too shabby @paqman. Scoring the dough/loaf is an ongoing lesson for me. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @caliking Thanks. I turn out a lot of bread so practice does help.  
    @paqman Looks good and remember most times even failures taste good. 😉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    Options
    @caliking Thanks. I turn out a lot of bread so practice does help.  
    @paqman Looks good and remember most times even failures taste good. 😉
    I don’t think that I ever baked bread that tasted bad, they are always far better than anything I can purchase nearby my place.  That “baguette” on the right was my first and it was my first and it was fantastic (despite being over proofed).

Options

I printed a paper stencil and baked a bread for my wife.  She loved it!  Thanks for the inspiration @NPHuskerFL

Options

I talked to a bread baker at a local bakery and he recommended the dough scraper in the picture above.  

Got it from Amazon and I highly recommend it: Matfer Bourgeat Nylon Dough Scraper.

I was kinda disappointed at first when I received it because it looked fragile but the sharp edges are making it super easy to scrape the dough out of the bowl without tearing it and it has just the right amount of flexibility.  I totally changed my mind after using it and would now consider it a must have tool.

It is also useful for cleaning up the counter top after shaping the dough.

edited January 2020
    Options
    Anybody heard of dry malt diastatic powder?  The baker that recommended the dough scraper that I posted above says that it is the secret ingredient that nobody is talking about in sourdough bread and pizza dough.  I found a couple if recipes and will try it soon.

Ingredients: Malted Barley Flour, dextrose, flour

Options
    @paqman Good looking Boule with the stencil. 
    As of late I'm getting more into fresh grinding/milling wheat berries.  I like the fact I'm able to control how fine or coarse the end product is.  This is yesterday's bakes. One pictured is a Honey Wheat Loaf.
    80% hydration, 20%  fresh milled Einkorn Wheat berry, Orange Blossom Honey.  
    2nd loaf is a 20% Bulgur Wheat Loaf at 80% hydration. 
    And then me and Mrs. baked a couple banana with walnuts bread.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NDG
    Options
    paqman said:
    Anybody heard of dry malt diastatic powder?  The baker that recommended the dough scraper that I posted above says that it is the secret ingredient that nobody is talking about in sourdough bread and pizza dough.  I found a couple if recipes and will try it soon.

Ingredients: Malted Barley Flour, dextrose, flour

I got into DMP trying after trying to find good “same day” (~5 hr) pizza dough.  After reading pizzamakingforum & Tony G’s “pizza bible” I got some DMP but issue I ran into was most recipes call for L-DMP (low diastatic malt powder) which Has something to do with the level of lintner.  Anyway just be careful if they call for L-DMP you should only use 1/3 of DMP to equal out.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Crumb on the Honey Wheat

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    My wife has a wild yeast growing in her monkey.  I don think I should try to make bread with that but this thread got me thinkin.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The crumb looks perfect on that honey wheat loaf. Open crumb is the gold standard of bread on the internet - but it doesn’t hold honey, jam, or mayonnaise, lol. The crumb on your loaf is open enough - yet tight enough to make toast or a sandwich. 
    It looks excellent. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Tragedy has struck. I pulled my starter out of the fridge for baking today, and inadvertently microwaved it. 🤦🏾‍♂️

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Tragedy has struck. I pulled my starter out of the fridge for baking today, and inadvertently microwaved it. 🤦🏾‍♂️

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    It's never good to microwave the mother 
    Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • NDG
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL looks GREAT !!  
    @caliking what the *%#+#% !!  Hard to kill a starter but microwave, lol.  Stop having children, afraid you might Inadvertently place one in a boiling stock pot.
    @HogFather you really live in PIG, KY ?? Could not think of a better signature for a BBQ forum 
    Columbus, OH

• paqman
    Options
    NDG said:

I got into DMP trying after trying to find good “same day” (~5 hr) pizza dough.  After reading pizzamakingforum & Tony G’s “pizza bible” I got some DMP but issue I ran into was most recipes call for L-DMP (low diastatic malt powder) which Has something to do with the level of lintner.  Anyway just be careful if they call for L-DMP you should only use 1/3 of DMP to equal out.  
    Thanks @NDG that’s good to know.  The lintner level is not shown in the package.  I’ll reach out to the manufacturer and hopefully get the info from them.  Pretty good documentation you have there.

Options
    @NPHuskerFL you did it again!   Damn your loafs are looking tasty.

Options
    NDG said:
    @NPHuskerFL looks GREAT !!  
    @caliking what the *%#+#% !!  Hard to kill a starter but microwave, lol.  Stop having children, afraid you might Inadvertently place one in a boiling stock pot.
    @HogFather you really live in PIG, KY ?? Could not think of a better signature for a BBQ forum 
    You think its a coincidence that caliprince doesn't have siblings?

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    caliking said:
     :|  :|

Do you happen to have an emergency stash?  I dried some of my mother starter out this past summer and have it stored in the freezer in case something happens with the active batch.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    Options
    smokingal said:
    caliking said:
     :|  :|

Do you happen to have an emergency stash?  I dried some of my mother starter out this past summer and have it stored in the freezer in case something happens with the active batch.
    I did just that about a year ago. Sometimes I am able to idiot proof myself. But only sometimes =)

Trying to revive some of the dried and frozen starter as we speak.

BUT... it seems the nuked starter may have survived!! Fed it this morning and left it on the counter. Was looking kinda feisty in the afternoon,  so maybe it's  still good. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @caliking if it’s not working just let me know. It’s happy and thriving on my counter and I’ll send some back down your way if needed. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle