Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Boar Sausage

Cornholio
Cornholio Posts: 1,047
edited January 2020 in EggHead Forum
My buddy brought me two different kinds of boar sausage, a couple of pounds labeled breakfast sausage and a couple of pounds of jalapeño sausage. It is not in casing/links, just ground sausage. I plan on making some ABTs, stuffed bell peppers and probably stuffed mushrooms with the jalapeño variety. The breakfast sausage will most likely go in a breakfast strata that we make for holiday mornings. 

Should I add regular pork sausage to add in some additional fat? In its current frozen state there appears to be a decent amount of fat but I’ve read that wild boar tends to be a bit lean. 

TIA for any insight or additional suggestions on how best to use this stuff. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I'm betting they already added it, that being said it would be an issue if just doing ABTS. And such ....enjoy as is, adding anything " may" affect the blend taste, but I would add a little fat to a pan if frying 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Why not just fry up a sample and see how you like it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Cornholio
    Why not just fry up a sample and see how you like it?
    Because that would be too easy! I actually will probably cut a little bit off the frozen blocks to test out. 
  • Cornholio
    edited January 2020
    lkapigian said:
    I'm betting they already added it, that being said it would be an issue if just doing ABTS. And such ....enjoy as is, adding anything " may" affect the blend taste, but I would add a little fat to a pan if frying 
    Thanks!

Ok, finally just heard back from him and they did add in fat to the sausages so that answers my question on adding anything else to it.

He also just said he has some ribs and a picnic roast for me to cook up. 

I’ll post up the cooks and results here later.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    The ribs and picnic roast will likely be very lean.  I've cooked several wild pig parts and a few small whole wild pigs.  They can dry out very quickly.  Injections and foil are your friends when cooking wild pig.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX