Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food safety question

dmchicago
dmchicago Posts: 4,516
My wife made a big pot of charro beans yesterday. It contained ham, bacon, chorizo and beef hot dogs (don't ask).

We left them on the stove top overnight, the lid slightly askew. Like 1/3". 

I'm boling them as I type but unsure if they will be safe to eat.

Opinions?
Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
Dennis - Austin,TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited January 2020
    How long was it in the danger zone? If serving to others I would toss if it was in the zone for more than 4 hours , for me I'd eat it, reheat to 165 and hold for a bit
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Throw it out. It has hot dogs in it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    we served around 7:30 PM. So it sat on the stove because it was too warm to put into the refrigerator I was supposed to do it before I went to bed but I fell asleep on the couch, woke up around midnight and just wandered in the bed leaving it on the stove. So it sat on the stove cooling down from about 8 PM until I woke up this morning around 9 AM.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    dmchicago said:
    we served around 7:30 PM. So it sat on the stove because it was too warm to put into the refrigerator I was supposed to do it before I went to bed but I fell asleep on the couch, woke up around midnight and just wandered in the bed leaving it on the stove. So it sat on the stove cooling down from about 8 PM until I woke up this morning around 9 AM.
    I’d toss it. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Garbage
    Mountain View, CA
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2020
    I have a Dodger Dog n my fridge from the 2018 World Series , I took a bite at the 1 year mark =)

Here it is today, January 12 2020...no preservatives , no sir

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    Thanks. Of all the strangers I interact with on the interwebs, I trust you strangers with my life the most.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Trash it. Botulism sucks 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmchicago
    Proof of life, sort of. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    looking at that picture, it looks like you did eat it and bad results
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    had to have been the hot dogs
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    grew up eating and still do the food overnight on the stove top. really makes me wonder how i get sick from restaurant food where they should know better. i would have ate it even with the hotdogs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    grew up eating and still do the food overnight on the stove top. really makes me wonder how i get sick from restaurant food where they should know better. i would have ate it even with the hotdogs

When we cook big pots of stuff my wife routinely leaves it on the stove overnight to package the next day.  Probably bad practice, but it seems to work.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2020
    there is a lot more "time temperature abuse" in a food facility than the typical home, that "4 hours" is additive IE from the time of process to consumed ....food facilities may lose time from receiving the product to prep work etc who knows how long it took that big pot of whatever to cool before they refrigerated it and heated it again... plus the chance of Noroviruses increases 

I would have eaten it in my own home as well 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Brisket Camp lawyer dropped off a quart of his famous vegetarian chili on my front porch a few weeks ago.  I forgot about it until the next day.  Threw it in the fridge.  Couple days later I heated it up to boiling in a pot and ate it. 

Still alive.

Back before refrigeration that was pretty normal.  Also, people kept soups/stocks preserved by keeping them hot for days.
    I set the loud annoying alarm on the kitchen box to remind myself to put stuff away before bed time, trouble is at my age sometimes I forget what the alarm is for  :)
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    lkapigian said:
    there is a lot more "time temperature abuse" in a food facility than the typical home, that "4 hours" is additive IE from the time of process to consumed ....food facilities may lose time from receiving the product to prep work etc who knows how long it took that big pot of whatever to cool before they refrigerated it and heated it again... plus the chance of Noroviruses increases 

im good with 3 to 4 days carving pieces off a tday turkey without refrigeration for  sandwiches. then its soup and ive easily gone a month stove top and adding more ingredients and reheating once a day. really push those limits and yet a chicken fried steak took me down once in a restaurant.  seems to me they changed the 4 hour rule down to 2 a few years back
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mom used to leave the Tday turkey out all afternoon/evening and we'd eat leftovers until bedtime. No one ever got sick. We weren't as adventurous as fish!

I think the current rule is 2 hrs out of the danger zone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

im good with 3 to 4 days carving pieces off a tday turkey without refrigeration for  sandwiches. then its soup and ive easily gone a month stove top and adding more ingredients and reheating once a day. really push those limits and yet a chicken fried steak took me down once in a restaurant.  seems to me they changed the 4 hour rule down to 2 a few years back
    I'm with you for my own food for sure

cooked foods needing refrigeration need to be cooled to 70 within 2 hours then 70-45 or below within 4 additional hours...this is for cooked meats food containing meat dairy etc............the 4 hour rule ( my understanding ) is additive from process to being cooked  

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    its 2  2  4 now from what ive read 2 for getting food to fridge, 2 to chill cooked food below 70 and 4 to get it chilled off completely. thats my current understanding and for some reason they are making it more confusing.  im perfectly fine with the 4 hours in the danger zone from farm to starting the cook and with 4 hours from the store to the fridge, pretty sure theres a huge safety factor built in.
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’ve done the same thing. General practice here is if it’s been covered the whole time since it was hot/coming off the boil, and doesn’t have dairy, it goes in the fridge in the AM when we discover it.  Depends on what’s in it and how good it was the night before.
  • I have done the same thing many times.  Usually throw it in the fridge the next morning when discovered.  I have finally taught myself to leave the vent a hood light on so I know something is there before I go to bed.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Mom used to leave the Tday turkey out all afternoon/evening and we'd eat leftovers until bedtime. No one ever got sick. We weren't as adventurous as fish!

Hell, we will leave a box of Popeye's out in the sunshine all day during Mardi Gras.  Still good after 12 hours.  (But we may be protected by the amount of booze consumed).
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    buzd504 said:

Hell, we will leave a box of Popeye's out in the sunshine all day during Mardi Gras.  Still good after 12 hours.  (But we may be protected by the amount of booze consumed).
    I still go back to my 1.5 year old hot dog ...took another bite the other day, still feel fine 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    Where were all you dietary dare devils on Sunday?

We dumped it and it was mighty tasty. Wife was pissed. It was my job to out it away after it cooled down but, you know, bourbon.

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Some of y'all are so scared of food. If it smells fine, I'll eat it. Only time I ever got food poisoning was freaking Ice Cream. Damn blue bell lysteria. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    I set the loud annoying alarm on the kitchen box to remind myself to put stuff away before bed time, trouble is at my age sometimes I forget what the alarm is for  :)
    We used to do that. Forgot what the alarm was for toooo many times.  Then we wrote what we needed to remember on a napkin and left that in the middle of the floor in our family room.  That works. 

So does setting an alarm on the phone with a description of the task.   But don’t let your phone battery die....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I would have boiled that stuff for a good bit then ate it 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I would eat it. The only way you'd die from eating a hot dog is to choke on it. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Wait...you don't get up until 9:00?
    XL & Medium  OKC area