Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Anyone ALREADY UPGRADE to the KJ gasket that's steel and fiberglass mesh ?

Has anyone already upgraded to the KS $99.00 steel gaskets that's a blend of mesh etc?

I have some questions, but I am in contact with the actual manufacturer and am awaiting a 50ft sample to test, however I might be able to make things easier on everyone once I verify it in hand.  This particular sample is temperature of 540 ° C / 1000 ° F. The product is a mesh tube woven from stainless steel wire, the outer layer is woven with E fiber glass yarn, and the back is covered with a high temperature adhesive.  It is 7/8 or 22mm width when pressed flat.   However if anyone is interested once I confirm it, I will try to do a bulk order to save everyone the $$. 

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• SGHSGH Posts: 26,923
    edited January 9
    This should go well.
    I am anxiously standing by for the grand finale  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Just a man with a Muhle. 

To see Trump's many attributes you wont need a second glance
    You know if you resist his intelligence you wont stand a chance
    His mind is like a razor simply sharp as it can be
    He is at least a million times smarter than either you or me
  • jdMyersjdMyers Posts: 309
    would we say that 4ft is enuff for a large egg size each?

Columbus, Ohio
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 17,151
    jdMyers said:

Have you talked to Wes Johnson about any of this yet?
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Living large in the 919
  • JonWessonJonWesson Posts: 68
    PM to arrange preshipping me 84".
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • brentmbrentm Posts: 241
    screw the gasket.  get me the bands.
    working on better version of the bands as well.  since i have to rebuild mine.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • brentmbrentm Posts: 241
    photo is watermarked.

the newest KJ hinge is pretty cool.  they've eliminated the weight fulcrum so the lid won't slam down if you let go to early in the lift.
    def not my design, just in contact with the manufacturer about cost and material, may not be worth it but worth looking into since I deal with them anyway.  but it's from them.   not my grill.  Mine took a spill in high wind. I need new bands
    Columbus, Ohio
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 10,568
    If you can get the price to $11 most of us (well all of us except for one) would be totally in.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I think the kJ website says to leave your KJ with airlift hinge unlocked when not in use to preserve the gasket springiness. I do this on my Joes, not sure the egg with constant mass on the gasket if it would be as effective?  there also is a back felt gasket underneath this which is sealed directly to the ceramic 
    Two Kamado Joe Classic III & a Kamado Joe Jr.  Large BGE, Mini BGE 
    YouTube: @smokingdadbbq 
    Instagram: @smokingdadbbq  

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 2,356
    Trying to steal Mr. Pratt's retirement income?

Not cool bro.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,425
    There was a post where someone ordered one from KJ:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221373/ordered-the-new-kamado-joe-wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket/p1

...another with a similar aftermarket. 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2474584#Comment_2474584

jdMyers said:

The outside diameter of a large egg is a little over 21 inches, so round up to 22 inches so if my math is correct (Pi * Diamter) = 69.08 inches = 5.75 ft. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

thanks, and i shouldnt been typing at wee hours of the night.  According to the manufacturer the the squash affect wont matter, the fiber and steel mesh is oversized anyway and designed for it.  They also mentioned that on certain models that have a latching lock, doesnt apply enuff pressure to squeeze out the properties of what the gasket is supposed to do.  seal.  That would be equal to squeezing the felt too thin..
    Columbus, Ohio
  • SSQUAL612SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,172
    edited January 10
    So what price point are you thinking for an XL?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • HogFatherHogFather Posts: 162
    Perhaps @unoriginalusername could make a installation video and post it here to self promote his YouTube channel 
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
    Im not in it for the extra $$.  So if I can get it plus freight divided out we all win.
    Columbus, Ohio
    edited January 10
    Looks a lot easier to install than that other one some guy has been peddling on here. 
  • Thomasc18Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    I’m interested. 
    Madison, AL
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 2,430
    I have a KJ classic. will it work on that? I have the felt gasket, I think
    Boom
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 33,257
    DOES IT WORK ON A MAC?

• MickeyMickey Posts: 19,370
    why why bother with any gasket. It’s just not needed (IMO). 5 Eggs no gaskets and i don’t have any problems cooking.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 33,257
    I'm going full commando as I type this...

Mickey said:
    why why bother with any gasket. It’s just not needed (IMO). 5 Eggs no gaskets and i don’t have any problems cooking.

in Ohio where it's normal for negative 25 degree with wind chill, without a gasket the lid freezes to the main body and causes a ruckus
    Columbus, Ohio
  • DollingerDollinger Posts: 79
    I have one of the gaskets I got at a very reduced cost but after looking at the width of the thing I'm not sure how well its going to work. So I never put it on. Interested in hearing how it works out.
  • GregWGregW Posts: 2,185
    Other than the added bling the stainless mesh adds, I don't see any need for anything other than the Rutland RRP graciously provided me.
    Birmingham, AL
    It's chinese new year and most of the shippers are already shutting down.  Im curious DOLLINGER how well has it worked out
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers said:
    It's chinese new year and most of the shippers are already shutting down.  Im curious DOLLINGER how well has it worked out
    Just FYI- Chinese New Year starts in 2 weeks and they are very much open for business. I have 3 people over there right now doing the stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX