Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Shun should I return ?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Wife got me (2) utility style knifes, gotta return one and I am torn.  I will use this to cut Tomatoes (or veg/fruit with skin but soft inside), Sandwiches, Bread (crunchy not full loafs prob) etc.  Sale price she got makes them similar in $ . . And one 7” and other 6” . . Thanks.
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I vote for the longer one. To keep that is.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Keep the left
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i use a ronco showtime for tomatoes and sandwich cutting =) i have no idea which one of those two.

Image result for ronco showtime tomato knife

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NDG
    Options
    Details - but sounds like longer one will stay
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    If you’re planning on more tomatoes and fruits, I’d go with the one on the right. If more breads, then the one on the left. 

I actually want that knife on the right so I am biased towards it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    The shorter 6" is more versatile and will destroy every aspect of sandwich making including spreading. Also much easier to touch up sharpen when needed.
    The 7" is a pretty bread cutting knife.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    Options
    @DoubleEgger initially the one on Right was my fav - just like the beaver tail design bc it looks unique on my wall (knife magnet so all my nice knives on display) BUT I don’t want to keep the best one I will get most use out of.  Hmmmm 
    Columbus, OH

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Both. ducks
    Mountain View, CA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    As a Shun dealer, I'm not really a fan of either.  Their straight blades do just fine on anything as long as they are sharp.  I use a 4.5" honisuki on little stuff, and a 6 or 8" Kiritsuki on everything else......tomatoes, onions, etc are not a problem.

If you want a good bread knife, their offset handled bread knife sails through anything.  I don't get that wavy patterned blade.
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    Call me a kill-joy, but since owning a very high quality Japanese knife, I no longer understand the need for serration in the kitchen. Be it bread or tomato, an exceptional, sharpened knife will handle it with absolute ease. So my (likely unpopular) opinion is to return both and replace it with a nice piece of aogami. 
    Mostly agree with this. The only thing that deviates is the bread knife I have. It just making cutting my sammich bread easier. It's the only serrated kitchen knife that I own. It's also the only non-Shun knife that I use. 
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    If you keep one the one on the left, will do a much better job; dicing vegetables as you can lead with the tip into anything you are cutting. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    My initial thoughts paralleled what these guys are saying but I bet if you had one of those two hanging on your knife rack it would get a lot of use.  
      Personally I would lean towards the one on the right it looks like it would be a awesome sandwich builder and accoutrement spreader.  

Goes without saying your wife is awesome!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    i use a ronco showtime for tomatoes and sandwich cutting =) i have no idea which one of those two.

I have a cheap Dexter Russel version of this I just love for everything from tomatoes to cutting ribs. Also just use my 30yo Chicago cutlery bread knife for tomatoes. I love this offset shape though. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

I have a cheap Dexter Russel version of this I just love for everything from tomatoes to cutting ribs. Also just use my 30yo Chicago cutlery bread knife for tomatoes. I love this offset shape though. 

this is the only showtime knife out of their huge set you want, unless you want alot of disposable sandwich knives on say a boat. its really handy for tomatoes and breads and will never need sharpening. the handle really works well for bread slicing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The negative I see is serated knives tear up cutting boards so if you have a nice board I wouldn’t use it on it. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lit said:
    The negative I see is serated knives tear up cutting boards so if you have a nice board I wouldn’t use it on it. 
    This strikes close to home, as I’m always having to remind my wife not to use our awful bread knife on my Boos Block. Good thing she’s cute. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    This is one fancy group. I just cut the bread on my plywood counter tops.  =)
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    With your BGE-branded knives. 😉🙂
  • pgprescott
    Options
    With your BGE-branded knives. 😉🙂
    Them are for special occasions!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Maybe you could rehome the losing knife?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Just keep both. I mean, return shipping, re-stocking fees.....I’m just trying to help you lay out your defense 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I vote for the longer one. To keep that is.
    That’s what she said 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Call me a kill-joy, but since owning a very high quality Japanese knife, I no longer understand the need for serration in the kitchen. Be it bread or tomato, an exceptional, sharpened knife will handle it with absolute ease. So my (likely unpopular) opinion is to return both and replace it with a nice piece of aogami. 
    Did you not see that his wife bought these Christmas gifts? Returning both would be a no no in the relationship department. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Did you not see that his wife bought these Christmas gifts? Returning both would be a no no in the relationship department. 
    But why did she buy two with the requirement that one be returned?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Knives before wives. 😉

All he has to say is that some guys on a barbecue forum made him swap ‘em out for a chunk of carbon steel. 
  • NDG
    Options
    Ha ridiculousness 
    Columbus, OH

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    I think one on the right would do the best job of spreading mayo, peanut butter, buttering toast.  
  • NDG
    Options
    Put this magnet up - Wife not sold its safe ?!?! Weird placement bc we have small kitchen so went with side of fridge.  Not sold yet bc feels odd, near garage entry way, and no counter top below so kids could hang under.  Lol.  Not funny but you know it’s kinda funny.  I feel it’s safe is that right?  Anybody use a magnet knife holder ??  

Columbus, OH