Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which Shun should I return ?

Options
2»

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited February 2020
    Options
    It looks like a cool knife.  If you like it and use it, that’s what is important.  It is larger than what it looked like in your original pics.

I used a magnetic knife holder before and I never had a knife fall from it.  However, in the long term, it eventually caused some damage to the edge of some of my german knives which have a softer blade than Japanese knives.  I have now switched to a wooden knife drawer storage.

edited April 2023
    Options
    If you want to learn about kitchen knives, storage and sharpening, I recommend this site.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    NDG said:
    Put this magnet up - Wife not sold its safe ?!?! Weird placement bc we have small kitchen so went with side of fridge.  Not sold yet bc feels odd, near garage entry way, and no counter top below so kids could hang under.  Lol.  Not funny but you know it’s kinda funny.  I feel it’s safe is that right?  Anybody use a magnet knife holder ??  

I have one, but intentionally placed it over countertops. If a knife were to fall, it would land on the counter, protecting both the knife and anyone handling it. As with anything, it’s a question of risk tolerance. Your post may be implying that it’s in a trafficked area. Personally, I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about putting it anywhere where someone could rub up against it. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    NDG said:
    Put this magnet up - Wife not sold its safe ?!?! Weird placement bc we have small kitchen so went with side of fridge.  Not sold yet bc feels odd, near garage entry way, and no counter top below so kids could hang under.  Lol.  Not funny but you know it’s kinda funny.  I feel it’s safe is that right?  Anybody use a magnet knife holder ??  

I have one, but intentionally placed it over countertops. If a knife were to fall, it would land on the counter, protecting both the knife and anyone handling it. As with anything, it’s a question of risk tolerance. Your post may be implying that it’s in a trafficked area. Personally, I wouldn’t be too enthusiastic about putting it anywhere where someone could rub up against it. 
    Next the garage makes an easy grab for disorganized serial killer to grab as he comes into your house.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Bodine
    Bodine Posts: 15
    Options
    Here is something attractive that will not scratch your knives.
    https://www.benchcrafted.com/magblok

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    I would not feel safe. I've kept knives on magnets for years and still wouldn't take the risk with your kids. Best to hang over something.

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I damaged a couple of blades with a magnet holder.  They now have a dedicated drawer.

edited April 2023
    Options
    Perhaps I’m wrong, but I’m assuming those who cite damage to blades have the style of magnet strip that has exposed metal rails. I put mine on a fully wooden strip with magnetization built within. No concern with respect to scratching. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Btw, @canugghead, they’re opening a KnifeWear in Toronto. If you haven’t been before, go have a look - and take your wallet! Let me know if you see a Fujiwara Denka No Hoto in 240mm. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:
    I would not feel safe. I've kept knives on magnets for years and still wouldn't take the risk with your kids. Best to hang over something.

I would not want to be responsible for keeping all of those sharp. 🙃
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I have a couple of these as my kitchen layout is not amenable to mounting a magnetic knife "block" on a wall...

The type of magnet "block" that is metal strip/magnets never really appealed to me but the wood/hidden magnet type has plenty of grip and doesn't seem harmful to blade edges (at least I haven't mucked up any yet with mine - knock on wood (so to speak...).

Also have one of these in a drawer...

I  do like this in drawer sort of tray but blade heigh  can be a problem - I just lay on their side cleavers with edge guards on top.

(Amazon pics - not mine)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Btw, @canugghead, they’re opening a KnifeWear in Toronto. If you haven’t been before, go have a look - and take your wallet! Let me know if you see a Fujiwara Denka No Hoto in 240mm. 
    Nay, don't need fancy knives to dig more rabbit holes  :o
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    NDG said:

I really like that shin sandwich knife. Gave one to a friend and she loves it.
    I also have a magnet block mounted on back kitchen wall. I really like it. I keep mine point down for a couple reasons. But if they start to slide for whatever reason they will hit the handle and not slide any further.  Or saying it good logic, but just don’t like the points up.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    HeavyG said:

(Amazon pics - not mine)
    Mildly hilarious to me that you felt the need to add that at this point, lol.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    HeavyG said:

(Amazon pics - not mine)
    There are n00bz that don’t know, seems legit to me
    Options
    I totally agree with @nolaegghead.  If it's not your photo of whatever then own up to the origin. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

(Amazon pics - not mine)
    Haha. You know I have actually posted a few pics that I have taken. Well, none of them are of food tho so I know they don't count.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

(Amazon pics - not mine)
    Haha. You know I have actually posted a few pics that I have taken. Well, none of them are of food tho so I know they don't count.
    Insert a "this post is worthless without pics" gif here. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    So which Shun should be shunned? 
  • Bodine
    Bodine Posts: 15
    Options
    He chose one already, I would have returned both and  bought one knife with the money.
    All you need is a gyuto, paring, and bread knife, anything else you add is for specific tasks.
    For the record, Shuns are stamped VG10 steel, which is far more difficult to sharpen than Blue or white steel as it tends to hold a wire edge.
    If you desire stainless, there are nice stainless clad knives with carbon steel cores, giving you the best of 2 worlds. Easy to sharpen, holds an edge, but is not reactive.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Woah this post is back!  Still love that shun beaver tail sammich / tomato knife.  Its just fun. 

As for storage, we did a full kitchen remodel, and now have a dedicated drawer with wood slides for nice knives . . it works & less scary
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”