Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

family gift ideas with teens?

was trying to find a club with gym, tennis, pool or something with maybe a 3 month membership and things for teens to do but am striking out with the idea. brother and the sisterinlaw are going thru a terrible divorce. any ideas for something gift wise thats not just a trinket. parents would not go together but looking for something where atleast the kids get to do something with each. kids are 13 and 15
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Portable Phone Chargers and Long Charging Cables 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited December 2019
    Money to play Fortnite
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Money to play Fortnite

money is the usual gift
    fukahwee maine

• Given this may be a difficult time for them and in light of your thinking that an activity may be called for, why not an artistic endeavour, which would also allow them to express themselves (which might be especially needed right now)? Art classes, pottery classes,!music lessons, photography courses, cooking classes, etc. Having a passion can be a real godsend for a teen trying to find themselves (not to mention experiencing parental divorce).
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2019
    Movie passes.  That'll give them something they can escape to together and forget about the real world for a while.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Given this may be a difficult time for them and in light of your thinking that an activity may be called for, why not an artistic endeavour, which would also allow them to express themselves (which might be especially needed right now)? Art classes, pottery classes,!music lessons, photography courses, cooking classes, etc. Having a passion can be a real godsend for a teen trying to find themselves (not to mention experiencing parental divorce).

except for the photography which neither parent is into, most of thats been done.  well not pottery either but i think my godson would rather shoot at it ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Given this may be a difficult time for them and in light of your thinking that an activity may be called for, why not an artistic endeavour, which would also allow them to express themselves (which might be especially needed right now)? Art classes, pottery classes,!music lessons, photography courses, cooking classes, etc. Having a passion can be a real godsend for a teen trying to find themselves (not to mention experiencing parental divorce).

except for the photography which neither parent is into, most of thats been done.  well not pottery either but i think my godson would rather shoot at it ;)
    If he likes shooting, paintball outings could be appropriate for one or both. 
  • Fish are you looking for more winter activities or would summer stuff be fun too?  My friends run Maine Kayak - all kinda of kayak tours if that might be of interest.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2019
    lkapigian said:
    Portable Phone Chargers and Long Charging Cables 
    I misread the type of gift( apologies )...ithe Kayaks idea is great 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Trip with their uncle- something to get them away and have fun and cut loose. 

Whitewater rafting, big city, horseback excursion, diving?
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    Fish are you looking for more winter activities or would summer stuff be fun too?  My friends run Maine Kayak - all kinda of kayak tours if that might be of interest.  
    i think its an elusive fish im looking for. daughter wont do anything with dad, son wont do anything with mom. kids dont do anything together. its somewhat expected in some ways growing up but its gone way past that. still working on this gym idea, if the kids could show up wih just one parent at a time, do their own thing, have fun, but atleast show up together and leave together i think it would be a good thing. its really insane whats going on right now from my perspective.  the kyak idea is good but we have them in the water, rafting has been done but for just one of them, the other wouldnt go if you used force.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited December 2019
    Wolfpack said:
    Trip with their uncle- something to get them away and have fun and cut loose. 

Whitewater rafting, big city, horseback excursion, diving?
    uncle is already on the bad list, unfounded but thats the way it is.
    ill look into horse back lessons, might be a way to set that up
    fukahwee maine

• Maybe a visit to a hog farm?  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    An Escape Room is super fun to do with teenage kids, day of go karts, indoor skydiving, indoor rock climbing (or outdoor for that matter).
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Doing some sort of charity work together, while not a traditional type of gift, we have taken our teenagers to do different charity works and they have had a blast.
    Las Vegas, NV

• get them each a puppy
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Battleborn
    Jiu jitsu class, gun range, guided hikes
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Carton of cigs?  Oh wait, I mean Juul pods. B)
    You'll be the coolest uncle!
    See if there’s an indoor climbing gym nearby.  A lesson or two in bouldering or sport climbing and membership or visit punchcard.

The focus will push other things aside and the self-esteem/independence will help anyone that age, especially kids in that situation.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Legume said:
    See if there’s an indoor climbing gym nearby.  A lesson or two in bouldering or sport climbing and membership or visit punchcard.

The focus will push other things aside and the self-esteem/independence will help anyone that age, especially kids in that situation.
    Great idea! We used to belong to a lifetime fitness and they had a climbing wall. I took my son and it was a blast watching him go.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • When I was a teen, anything gas powered and anything remote controlled were my favorite gifts.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • fishlessman
    blind99 said:
    Legume said:

Great idea! We used to belong to a lifetime fitness and they had a climbing wall. I took my son and it was a blast watching him go.

this was what i was looking for for my brother and kids, nothing really around here with both fitness and things for younger teens.  sister just finished her divorce and found a place near her so im getting this for her and the kids.
    fukahwee maine

• How is your toe?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    found a place for horse riding lessons that looks really reasonable, 35 bucks an hour, maybe buy each 4 lessons there and two at a more upscale place come fall if they get into it

thanks everyone, have a merry christmas and remember who wears the red hat

santa
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    How is your toe?

toe is coming along fine, just hobbling a bit.  just had an ultrasound on the liver and kidneys, all i can say is that its a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE =)
    fukahwee maine