Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT paper towel caught fire in microwave

Options
Visiting my daughter. She heated up some green beans for the baby, so microwave was only on 10-15 seconds. She had them covered with a paper towel which caught on fire. Is this something that calls for replacing the microwave?

THANKS!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,237
    Options
    I’d think so. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    Was it an aluminum foil paper towel?😉
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    No and it wasn’t recycled. It was a Bounty paper towel. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Dawgtired said:
    No and it wasn’t recycled. It was a Bounty paper towel. 
    “Bounty: The quicker flamer-upper!”
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options
    My mother in law warmed up some tacos , caught them on fire ....albeit she warmed them up for 15 minutes.

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    What happened to the beans?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    My mother in law warmed up some tacos , caught them on fire ....albeit she warmed them up for 15 minutes.

She probably meant to do 15 seconds, right?
    For a real treat, microwave an egg on high for seven minutes or so.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options
    lkapigian said:

She probably meant to do 15 seconds, right?
    She said " yjatz how long it takes in Wyoming'
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Or a stick of butter for just a few. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:
    My dad was once cooking something that calls for a grilled/charred eggplant (baingan bhartha) and figured he could do it in the microwave. Because I don’t have enough grills or other cookers to char an eggplant with.

Said eggplant caught fire, so he grabbed it and threw it in the trash, which in turn started to smolder and smoke. So he grabbed that, and threw it out the backdoor. 

I came home to a trash bag on the pool deck, my dad looking like nothing had happened, and a tight-lipped “ I’ll tell you later” from caliqueen. 
    I’m sitting here laughing out loud in the couch. Amy has just confirmed I am indeed the idiot she thought I am. 
  • teamunited33
    Options
    It was probably the green beans that were sparking and caused the paper towel to ignite.  I've noticed sparking/scorch marks on canned beans being reheated in the microwave when they aren't in a liquid.
    Lakeville, MN
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    In college we used to throw CDs in the microwave.  That always surprised the guy who fell asleep.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I had a 6th science teacher next door to me years ago that wanted to do a fun chemistry demo with her students. I fixed her up with some potassium permanganate and glycerin. When combined they will spontaneously react with smoke, flame, and heat - lots of fun. I walked her through what to do and went on with my next class...
    After class I asked how her demo went. She said, "It didn't work. It never reacted." I said, "What did you do with the reactants?" She said, "I put them in the trash..."

NNNNNOOOOOOooooooooo........

I made it to the trash can just as fire and smoke began to consume paper and pencil shavings.... Luckily it was a metal trash can and we were close to an outside door. 

Fun times. (It was winter and cool weather can delay spontaneous reactions)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • speed51133
    Options
    In college we used to throw CDs in the microwave.  That always surprised the guy who fell asleep.
    try a small doritos bag.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,545
    Options
    kids did this last year..

came home from work to a kitchen that had been detailed (super clean)

something was amiss 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    My Nana caught ours on fire making bacon when I was a kid. Total loss. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA