Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash basket alternative

I have a KAB in my XL and love it.  It makes cleaning out the ash sooooo much easier.  I love it so much I've been trying to get one for my mini.  I had been talking with Chad from KAB since early January exchanging emails (weeks apart at a time).  I never received a straight forward answer about wether or not they could make one. Only that they've done it in the past or they mite have a solution and to check back in a few weeks.   My last email was around the middle of March and I've have yet to receive a response.
 Tired of waiting.....  I'm looking to my fellow Eggheads to see if you guys have any recommendations on another company or anyone who could fabricate a small charcoal basket for a mini?     Yes it's only a mini but I use it just as much if not more than my XL.  It is a lump SAVER!!!!   A KAB or something similar would make life so much easier cleaning the ash out.  

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Excuse me, but when you say a " Mini" do you really mean an older style Mini, or do you mean a "Maxi-Mini"? They are two different animals!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mini.    Not mini max.    It was a tough decision but after a side by side comparison I was hands down  hooked on the mini for multiple reasons over the max. Mainly being it's non back breaking portability and it was the perfect size for my needs.  To each his own but the max was a little  too big and slightly over priced in my opinion. "If" I was set on that size I would have probably just went with a small and got a pot lifter harness and used that for less than the cost of a max.  My mini will get used a lot more this summer when it finally warms up enough to enjoy the outdoors.  I've only gotten to use it around the house in the few cold months I've owned it.  Got it for Christmas 2017.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'd imagine the market for a Mini KAB isn't very strong. I'd buy a mini KAB if available to purchase. I'm not a fan of cleaning out the Mini. The KAB would help eliminate part of the process.

I just don't think the demand is there though 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You could consider a Hi Que grate for the mini, but not sure you would achieve much. It gets pretty damn hot with standard grate. And its so easy to lift everything out and clean, that a charcoal basket may not improve things much either. 

And you should consider setting it on a paver if using on the table top like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Do a search for a wire fruit basket. I don't recall the inside diameter of the mini, but this one is stainless, costs $15 and is 11" diameter x 6" deep. Might work if it'll fit. 

@RRP, what the heck is a maxi-mini? =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I want a mini... no I don't need one and SWMBO will say no.. uggh.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Do a search for a wire fruit basket. I don't recall the inside diameter of the mini, but this one is stainless, costs $15 and is 11" diameter x 6" deep. Might work if it'll fit. 

@RRP, what the heck is a maxi-mini? =)
    Was thinking the same.

Does the “maxi-mini” come with a “setter place”?

;) 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Yes, it goes on top of the ring fire.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Raymont said:

Maybe she'll approve of a maxi-mini :rofl:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Blackwidow98
    Blackwidow98 Posts: 134
    edited April 2018
    WeberWho said:
    I'd imagine the market for a Mini KAB isn't very strong. I'd buy a mini KAB if available to purchase. I'm not a fan of cleaning out the Mini. The KAB would help eliminate part of the process.

I just don't think the demand is there though 
    I have tried and tried to get one made since January 2018 but was never given a direct answer from the owner Chad Romzek.   I also offered to prepay for a special order but no bites from the KAB company.   Its going on 3+ weeks now without a response so maybe they don't want to fool with the idea anymore if they ever did to begin with.  

Raymont said:

Go for it!  Lol   No regrets buying mine.
    Better to ask for forgiveness than permission in this situation :lol:

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    There's a Flame Boss 200 hooked to it. Does it not blow ash all over the food? 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    First world problems.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch said:
    There's a Flame Boss 200 hooked to it. Does it not blow ash all over the food? 
    Not at all?    I've cooked a couple of small prime rib indirect and also a cheeseburger fatty indirect. Wanting to try a small drunk chicken next.  With the mini conveggtor it cooks like my XL when using the flameboss.  Never had a problem with ash on myfood in the XL either.  The fan hangs around 5% or less when holding temp.
    Could I cook without it......  SURE!     
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Shop vac doesn’t do it?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Shop vac doesn’t do it?
    I have a BadAsh Vac that I use to clean both my eggs but I'm wanting a basket to avoid having to hand pick out the small unburned pieces when I clean it.   It sure makes life easier cleaning my XL with the kickash basket. I just pull out the entire basket and vacuum.    The mini fills up with ash really fast being so small and also because I use it the most.  It's a little messy having to pick out the few pieces of remaing lump and having to sit it aside somewhere.
  • Well...  I can't say that I'm particularly happy with the kickash company but it really isn't a big deal.  Just wanted to share my experience with their customer relations.  After about 4 months of the run around "check back in two weeks" or "we may have a solution"  I've finally been told that "it doesn't make sense financially" for them to make this...   Really? :confused:

I love my KAB on my XL but I probably wouldn't own one if it hadn't been a gift from my girlfriend. 

Check out the time frame on the reply.   SMH...
    Last email was today 4-19-18

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I guess I cant blame them for not wanting to make one, I believe them when they say it doesn’t make financial sense.  I have a mini, have had it for many years, and I would buy a kab for the mini if it was available.  He probably should have told you sooner that he wasn’t going to make one, but this type of communication is related to a product that doesn’t exist, so I kind of file that in the realm of just a few people talking, not necessarily customer service.  I have been waiting on updates for products that dont exist yet, and it sucks, so I feel your pain there.  I am going to try and drill some holes in a stainless steel bowl that fits in the firebox to try something out for my mini. I do think cleanup with the mini is difficult compared to the other eggs I own. 
  • I'll think of something to rig up....   Thanks guys for the suggestions!   
    Bout to fire the mini up now and slap on some small ribeyes I cut earlier :smiley:
  • I just hade to resurrect this old Post from 2018 when I found this out!    :skull:
    KAB if FINALLY making a basket for a mini!!!!  I got one today with 10% off plus free shipping for Black Friday.  I tried for months talking with Chad hoping to get this done. Only to be told that it wouldn't happen.  I guess wasn't the only one who inquired to the company about this! :clap:   This is going to make life so much easier cleaning out the mini.  

https://www.kickashbasket.com/Mini-Kick-Ash-Basket_p_50.html